TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> HR10-250 Local chan translation table <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
lightguy48 is offline Old Post 06-08-2004 06:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lightguy48 Find more posts by lightguy48 Add lightguy48 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lightguy48

HR10-250 Local chan translation table

Does anyone know where these units get their local HD channel translation table?

D* says it comes from the OTA PSIP signal but I know that's impossible because if it was correct my local NBC station would show up as channel 9 because they choose to brand their DTV signal as 9, not 6 which is their NTSC channel. (On my DTC-100 it shows up correct as 9 via PSIP)

Other people have mentioned Zap2It as the source, but looking all over Zap2It's web site I see no indication that they keep track of digital channel numbers (or if they do they don't display the channel numbers)

Can anyone help? I just want it fixed so I can use my guide and record certain channels without having to manually tune to them.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Budget_HT is offline Old Post 06-08-2004 06:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Budget_HT Find more posts by Budget_HT Add Budget_HT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Budget_HT

The source data for the local channels channel/program guide comes from Zap2It and is passed to DirecTV, where they include it with their Advanced Program Guide info for the satellite channels and the non-HD local channels.

I have a Hughes E-86 HD receiver and a new DirecTV HR10-250 HD receiver with TiVo. They both have the same schedule info for local HDTV channels, and neither uses OTA PSIP channel/program guide data.

When we had incorrect subchannel errors in the DirecTV Advanced Program Guide data, we communicated with Zap2It and DirecTV to get the problems fixed.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

midas is offline Old Post 06-08-2004 07:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for midas Find more posts by midas Add midas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midas
TiVo Forum Special Member

The HDTivo will use PSIP data for channels that are not in the guide already but are picked up with a channel scan.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lightguy48 is offline Old Post 06-08-2004 07:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lightguy48 Find more posts by lightguy48 Add lightguy48 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lightguy48

That's what I thought.... I talked to a second level tech who swore up and down that it used OTA PSIP information. I asked him, well if I clear the scanned channels (which I did as he asked) then there should be no local channel information.... but of course there was.

Does Zap2It ever respond to feedback emails? I've been emailing them for close to two weeks now and still no correction in the guide.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Budget_HT is offline Old Post 06-08-2004 11:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Budget_HT Find more posts by Budget_HT Add Budget_HT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Budget_HT

quote:
Originally posted by midas
The HDTivo will use PSIP data for channels that are not in the guide already but are picked up with a channel scan.

Have you actually seen this? I probably would not see it because all of the OTA HD channels I care about are covered in the APG from DirecTV.

As I understand it, there may be support for channel mapping from physical to NTSC-equivalent using PSIP data, but the question here is whether the actual program listings sent via OTA PSIP are ever displayed on an HR10-250.

I know for sure that my Hughes E-86 cannot use OTA PSIP program guide info at all. I am also aware that several of the newer DirecTV HD STBs could default to PSIP if APG did not support a particular channel.

Has anyone actually seen OTA PSIP program guide info on an HR10-250?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

midas is offline Old Post 06-08-2004 04:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for midas Find more posts by midas Add midas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midas
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by Budget_HT
Have you actually seen this? I probably would not see it because all of the OTA HD channels I care about are covered in the APG from DirecTV.

As I understand it, there may be support for channel mapping from physical to NTSC-equivalent using PSIP data, but the question here is whether the actual program listings sent via OTA PSIP are ever displayed on an HR10-250.

Actually no, the question was not whether there were program listings. The question was, as per the thread title, regarding channel mapping. And yes, for that I have seen it. Channel 26 here in Chicago has PSIP data that brands their channels as 1-1 and 1-2 and they do indeed show up with a channel scan.

But there is no program data. The question of course is whether the station is actually sending any program data. This I have no way of knowing.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lightguy48 is offline Old Post 06-08-2004 06:37 PM
lightguy48

I think Midas is correct, if the channel is NOT in the APG(?) it will use PSIP, I have seen that.

But it appears all the default information comes from D* contrary to what their 'technician' is saying.

Now if I can just get Zp2It to fix their problem. It would be nice if Zap2It would actually display the DTV channel and subchannel information on their guides, so there would be some formal indication of the information they have stored in their DB.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

elspankdog is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 01:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for elspankdog Visit elspankdog's homepage! Find more posts by elspankdog Add elspankdog to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
elspankdog
O Bro

Hey Lightguy, I see that we still have no solution for our PBS or Fox woes. Since I talked to you last I got an HD-TiVo to complement my Zenith SAT520. The guide is the same though except for one new problem. The HD feed of my local PBS (KAMU) shows up as 12-1 with no guide data like it used to as well as 15-2 with guide data for the analog feed. This has happened since I contacted the local station manager about the original problem. The good news is that there was a change even though it was incorrect. I guess I'll have to keep hounding the station manager since I also have never received a reply from Tribune/zap2it.

Brian

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PlasMAN is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 07:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PlasMAN Find more posts by PlasMAN Add PlasMAN to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PlasMAN

How do we find a contact at D* who works with the local channel database for each region? I've filed 3 trouble reports of the problems in San Diego (KSWB and Fox) with various CSR's but they seem to have fallen on deaf ears.

San Diego has 2 issues:
1) Fox-DT is missing from the guide. Fox should be in the guide at 6.1 and map to OTA channel 23.1
2) KSWB-DT is in the guide at 69.1 but there is no signal present. It must not be mapped to channel 19.2 which is where the HDTivo finds that channel in a manual scan. This problem may be related to a previously reported HDTivo bug known as subchannel shift. There is no signal present at 19.1 but there is on 19.2, 19.3 etc. The guide channel is probably looking at 19.1 and sees "no signal".

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lightguy48 is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 07:23 PM
lightguy48

I sent three messages to the feedback@zap2it.com and finally they got my PBS problem fixed, although they didn't put it in the guide on the right channel.

Now I'm waiting for them to add the Fox affiliate to list, I've sent a fourth email, so I'll see what happens...

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PlasMAN is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 07:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PlasMAN Find more posts by PlasMAN Add PlasMAN to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PlasMAN

Brett,
Thanks for the tip. I sent an e-mail and encourage other San Diegans to do the same. But it would be nice to also find the person at D*, since they are the ones who are responsible for the unit working as advertised. Howard

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Budget_HT is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 10:34 PM
Budget_HT

I went through this same lengthy process about a year ago. I received quick and polite responses from Zap2It.com when reporting some channels missing and some mis-mapped.

DirecTV was another story. I never achieved direct email or telephone communication with anyone there who claimed knowledge of, or responsibility for maintaining and updating channel and program listings for their Advanced Program Guide.

Fortunately, the Zap2It person was successful at pushing this through DirecTV, although the process took many weeks (I can't remember the exact interval, but more than a month for sure).

Good luck!

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

seabiscuit is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 05:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for seabiscuit Find more posts by seabiscuit Add seabiscuit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
seabiscuit

I'm in San Diego and of course having the same problem with the OTA program guide for Fox-DT and KSWB-DT. (No Fox pgm guide and KSWB under 69-1 with no signal.) I'm receiving KSWB on 5-1, 5-2 and 75-1 after doing a channel scan. (75-1 makes no sense whatsoever) My old Panasonic tuner was seeing the same channels for KSWB. I just e-mailed Zap2It about the problem and DID get back a reply in about an hour from Andre who is an operations manager asking for my zip code. Maybe there IS still hope?

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PlasMAN is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 05:50 AM
PlasMAN

I hope Andre is doing more than sending out e-mails. Here is the one I received and answered 2 weeks ago. It includes my "complaint"
What is your zip code?

Andre (last name blanked out for posting)
Operations Manager, Zap2it

To: TMS-Feedback
Subject: San Diego local channel database for DirecTV HD-DVR

Dear friends at Zap2It,
I have filed several reports with DirecTV over two missing OTA guide
channels on their new HD-DVR. They say that they can't fix these issues and suggested that I contact you since you provide their database. I hope that you can help us San Diegans with the following two issues:

1) Fox-DT (XETV-DT) is missing from the guide. Fox should be in the guide at
6.1 and map to OTA channel 23.1
2) KSWB-DT is in the guide at 69.1 but there is no signal present. It must
not be mapped to channel 19.2 which is where the HDTivo finds that channel in a manual entry. This problem may be related to a previously reported HDTivo bug known as subchannel shift. There is no signal present at 19.1 but there is on 19.2, 19.3 etc. Your guide channel is probably looking at 19.1 and sees "no signal". If you change the database for KSWB-DT 69.1 to map to 19.2 you will fix our problem!

Thanks very much for your help. Howard, San Diego

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

elspankdog is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for elspankdog Visit elspankdog's homepage! Find more posts by elspankdog Add elspankdog to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
elspankdog
O Bro

At least you got a reply. I think I'm at over 5 emails with no response.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

seabiscuit is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for seabiscuit Find more posts by seabiscuit Add seabiscuit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
seabiscuit

Yup. I got the identical "What's your zip code" e-mail.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged