TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Daily Call Over NTL broadband <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
vitesse is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 12:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for vitesse Find more posts by vitesse Add vitesse to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vitesse

Unhappy Daily Call Over NTL broadband

Hi,

I have just upgraded my TiVo to 2x40G disks with MFS tools and installed a TurboNet card. Everything is fine but I cannot get the thing to do its daily call over my NTL broadband connection.

TiVo is connected via a Linksys Wireless router (into one of the standard hub connectors via CAT 5). I have done the edit to the Ident.itcl file as detailed in http://www.tivo.kitschcamppalace.org.uk/turbonet.php and I have got the nic_setup set to make the call via network - but it still won't connect.

The only other thing to note is that I only have partition 7 - no part'4. This and I had to remount the partition as Read/Write to edit the Ident.itcl file with Joe editor. (Set it back to Read Only after) - Would this matter ?

I am now getting desperate to connect as my guide will run out tomorrow for BBC/ITV etc. I either have to get it working or find a phone extention lead because I used the phone cable to pull though the CAT 5!

I did post this on a previous thread but I think it was dead as the previous post was April.

If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate any help.

Stephen

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

KeithW is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 12:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KeithW Find more posts by KeithW Add KeithW to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KeithW

Have you set the

"Messages & Setup"
"Recorder & Phone Setup"
"Phone Connection"
"Change Dialing Options"
"Phone Dialing Options"
"Set dial prefix" to ",#401" ?

Thats all I did, I don't know about any of that other stuff you've said

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vitesse is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 01:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for vitesse Find more posts by vitesse Add vitesse to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vitesse

Yes I've tried setting ,#401 but I was lead to believe this was for US TiVo with Ver 3 software. I am on an UK Thompson Standalone with ver 2.5.5.1 software.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

KeithW is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 01:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KeithW Find more posts by KeithW Add KeithW to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KeithW

Im in the UK with Manchester NTL Broadband and it works for me.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitschcamp is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 01:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitschcamp Visit kitschcamp's homepage! Find more posts by kitschcamp Add kitschcamp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

'Twas my guide you used, and everything used to work fine until about Easter time. Then everything went pear shaped around here. I ceased being able to update via ntl:. Never got to the bottom of what ntl: had broken, but I ended up quitting ntl: and moving to another ISP via ADSL and all is tickityboo.

I wish I could help, but I can't.

Using with Sky, SkyEye T-Link, Kameleon, Samsung 160Gb + Western Digital 120Gb, CacheCard with 512MB of memory, tweaked recording settings, TiVoWeb and APC Back-UPS 500.
Tivo Mods and TivoWebLogos Source. Fixed ui.itcl module for new genres here and Mary Christmas

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

leejordan is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 02:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for leejordan Find more posts by leejordan Add leejordan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leejordan

Hi Vitesse,

It might be worth removing the line that was added to Ident.itcl and trying again. I think that some NTL areas use transparent proxies, and some don't.

My NTL link worked for a long time without that line. Then one day it stopped working and the only way to fix it was to put that line in.

It's worth a try anyway.

Lee.

Airnet
Pace Twin PVR
Panasonic TX-28DT4 IDTV

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitschcamp is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 02:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitschcamp Visit kitschcamp's homepage! Find more posts by kitschcamp Add kitschcamp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

Having the line in won't break anything - it was added to get around a problem with the awful transparent proxies. I'm no longer on ntl, have no transparent proxies, and have not a single issue.

Have you tried doing a traceroute to their servers?

Using with Sky, SkyEye T-Link, Kameleon, Samsung 160Gb + Western Digital 120Gb, CacheCard with 512MB of memory, tweaked recording settings, TiVoWeb and APC Back-UPS 500.
Tivo Mods and TivoWebLogos Source. Fixed ui.itcl module for new genres here and Mary Christmas

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 03:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

quote:
Originally posted by KeithW
Im in the UK with Manchester NTL Broadband and it works for me.

Co-incidence I'm afraid Keith; that line does nothing on a UK machine.

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jeremy Parsons is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 09:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jeremy Parsons Find more posts by jeremy Parsons Add jeremy Parsons to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeremy Parsons
Very Advanced Member

Have you checked that you can Ping the tivo servers , one of the usual errors is to have no gateway address configured

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fozzie is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 04:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fozzie Find more posts by Fozzie Add Fozzie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fozzie

Re: Daily Call Over NTL broadband

quote:
Originally posted by vitesse
Hi,

I have just upgraded my TiVo to 2x40G disks with MFS tools and installed a TurboNet card. Everything is fine but I cannot get the thing to do its daily call over my NTL broadband connection.

Any hacks running at startup? Some hacks will prevent the daily call from working if not run with the correct command line at startup.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DeadKenny is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 07:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeadKenny Visit DeadKenny's homepage! Find more posts by DeadKenny Add DeadKenny to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeadKenny

I think most if not all of NTL use transparent proxies.

Don't know if it's of use but there's an article on the transparent proxies here, complete with a list of the actual proxy servers. If you can specify a local proxy then maybe that will help (it often does for people having problems on Windows)...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin..../trancache.html

For info, I believe the transparent proxies do nothing more than select the best local proxy for you (out of usually 3 or 4 servers). The problem is it often gets it wrong or is 'down', whereas manually selecting a proxy can work fine.

If TiVo can't handle a proxy at all though then the only solution is to ditch NTL as you can't avoid a proxy on NTL .

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fozzie is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 10:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fozzie Find more posts by Fozzie Add Fozzie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fozzie

quote:
Originally posted by DeadKenny
If TiVo can't handle a proxy at all though then the only solution is to ditch NTL as you can't avoid a proxy on NTL .
I'm on NTL and never had to make any changes to TiVo's config, re. proxy servers. The problem will be a local config one.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitschcamp is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 12:29 AM
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

Nope. Transparent proxies work differently in different parts of the country. Some areas are blessed and don't have them, or they are configured correctly, and it works.

Other areas - such as round here - needed a change to the TiVo to make it work with the transparent proxies as they are borked.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged