TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > UK General Chit-Chat
>>> DD copy 4g hard dive to 120g drive win xp <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
smatson is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 06:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for smatson Visit smatson's homepage! Find more posts by smatson Add smatson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smatson

DD copy 4g hard dive to 120g drive win xp

Hope some one can help i have an old 4g drive and a new 120g drive can i yous dd copy to copy the 4g win xp to the 120g drive and if so what would i type to do this

thanks steven

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MAD4IT is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 04:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MAD4IT Find more posts by MAD4IT Add MAD4IT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MAD4IT

I assume you want to do this so you don't need to re-install apps.

if you can find the original disks it is often better to clean install.

I don't know of a specific way to do this without using a 3rd party app, however I do know how to clone a win 9x disk, which should be pretty similar.

I haven't tried cloning an xp machine yet but afaikt it should work.

If you want to test it out post back and i will post some instructions.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smatson is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 01:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for smatson Visit smatson's homepage! Find more posts by smatson Add smatson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smatson

Yes please

thanks steven

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MAD4IT is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 02:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MAD4IT Find more posts by MAD4IT Add MAD4IT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MAD4IT

Before you do anything ensure your backups are up to date. There is nothing worse than something going wrong and loosing a stack of pickies, MP3 or even your internet favourites.

--

Here you go.

Fire up your machine using the existing 4Gb XP disk.
Run Regedit - Start\Run\Regedit

Export the complete registry - File\Export

Change the export range to ALL and give it a filename, save it to the root of c:

Shutdown & disconnect the 4Gb drive
Install the new 120Gb drive - set it to master if it is not already.

Go into the BIOS and change the boot order so that CDROM is 1st device.

Insert your XP CD and reboot. The machine should boot off the CD, partion, format and finally install XP onto the new drive.

You shouldn't need to re-activate XP.

When you get to installing XP choose compact or minimum install to save time.

You don't need to worry about getting any of the settings correct nor installing correct drivers.

Shutdown again and reconnect your old 4Gb drive, set the the new drive to slave (assuming they are on the same IDE bus), 4Gb drive should still be master.

reboot - the machine should start up using your original disk, the new disk should be mapped to a drive letter probably d: or e: (you can check from my computer)

Open the command prompt and type:

(replace d: with drive letter assigned to new drive)

xcopy c: d: /e/c/h/y (if you want to know what parameters are type
xcopy /?)

This should copy 4Gb >> 120Gb

shutdown, set the new drive to master and remove the old 4Gb

reboot

run regedit as before and import (File\Import) your backed up registry which should be in c:\

restart again

If all things have gone well, your installation should look identical to your old one.

---

Note:

Where I have indicated in the above instruction that you need to install XP on your new drive, this is probably the easiest way to prepare the new disk otherwise you will need to manually partition, format & stick the boot info onto the drive.

You may get away with running FDISK then format the new drive as a system disk.

---

Good luck.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ian_m is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 02:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ian_m Find more posts by Ian_m Add Ian_m to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ian_m

You can also use MaxBlast from Maxtor (I think works with non Maxtor drives) to image and expand the old disk directly to the new disk.

1. Connect new disk as master and old as slave.
2. Run MaxBlast, it can usually identify the blank drive and image to new drive. It will automatically size to new drive.
3. Disconnect old drive and reboot.

Easy peasy.

Do not reconnect old drive and boot XP else XP (in my experience) will find it and boot from it, that meaning your two XP images will be out of sync.

To reuse the old drive, connect both up, boot to recovery console from XP CD, use MAP command to work out which drive is which and DISKPART to remove the partition on old drive.

Reboot XP and re-partition and format for use.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MAD4IT is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 12:19 AM
MAD4IT

you need at least one Maxtor drive connected for maxblast to run.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smatson is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 12:37 AM
smatson

Hi thanks for the help i have a 4g fujest and a 120g seagate

will have a go at what you sead at the weekend hope it works

thanks steven

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smatson is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 06:32 PM
smatson

all dun now think its all ok

thanks steven

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged