TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Which Drive for an upgrade? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
threadkiller is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 05:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for threadkiller Visit threadkiller's homepage! Find more posts by threadkiller Add threadkiller to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
threadkiller
Dark side Nrth Devon

Which Drive for an upgrade?

Haven't seen a recent thread, so here goes. Lost my first recordings this week due to space issues (standard 40g TiVo) thought thats Ok I'll clear some space & undelete with Tivoweb. Not a hope.

so time for a new drive methinks.

Following Iankb's thread & use of a maxtor, I can find a Diamondmax 120G 8Mb for £60 +del. but I know the flavour used to be Samsung drives.

so what do people recommend these days??

120Gig Tivo + Airnet + Sky Digital + Freeview + Tivoweb + Every module available until the novelty wears off, or my wife beats me :)

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 05:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb
TiVo Forum Special Member

I think that Samsung are still flavour of the month, mainly because of the 3-year warranty.

If you want performance, don't have a cachecard, and performance comes before price, I would go for the Western Digital Special Edition (8MB-cache) drives, which also come with 3-year warranties. The cache really seems to make a difference. However, they have a reputation for being noisy, so I wouldn't use one in a bedroom, or in a small room.

Although I'm no longer a great fan of Seagate (with six Seagate drives in my PC and TiVo, I've had five returns under their 3-year warranties), I notice that they are bringing out a 16MB-cache drive in Q3. Whilst that will be no use because it has a serial (SATA) interface, it does show a future trend towards a larger cache which other manufacturers will also follow. However, I suspect the initial premium paid for large cache drives will be no less than running a cachecard, which has a more-guaranteed performance increase.

Since I believe that 3-year warranties are essential (with five RMA's, why wouldn't I!), I would still recommend the Samsung if price is of an issue.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stratos is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 06:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for stratos Find more posts by stratos Add stratos to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stratos
Mumbler

My choice was a 120GB drive with 8MB cache from the old IBM/Hitachi 180GXP range.

These seem to have been replaced with a 7K250 range though, and the one I have in a PC at work makes an odd sound like a cat miaow which apparently is triggered by 10 mins of inactivity. According to Hitachi this is some special head movement pattern that increases the life of the drive.

In theory you should never get 10 mins of inactivity in a TiVo, so it might not matter. Still, it isn't a noise I wanted in my living room!

- Richard

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

blindlemon is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 07:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for blindlemon Visit blindlemon's homepage! Find more posts by blindlemon Add blindlemon to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blindlemon
Knackered Member

I like Samsung drives too.

The price is good (just a few £ more than Maxtors) - but the reliability is, IMHO, much better. When you pick up a Samsung drive it really feels like it's made to last - and the 3 year warranty kind of confirms that

They are also very quiet too - even out of the box with Acoustic Management turned off I can hardly hear the heads seeking. With AM on they are virtually silent.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Heuer is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 08:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Heuer Find more posts by Heuer Add Heuer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Heuer

I have had one Samsung failure after 9 months of use although I suspect the fault was there when I installed the disk. The GSOD arrived after the disk became 60%+ full. Running the Samsung Hutil confirmed the disk had unrecoverable errors but it was changed under warranty by return of post, no questions asked.

The Samsung disks are also almost totally silent - I have to put my ear to the TiVo to make sure they are still working. Suggest running Hutil before installing just to be sure of a long life.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Milhouse is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 10:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Milhouse Find more posts by Milhouse Add Milhouse to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Milhouse

I've had 6 Seagate Baracuda 7200.7 8mb cache running 24x7 for the last 9 months - 4 SATA in PC's and 2 PATA in TiVo, all 120Gb - and (so far) no problems.

Speed/performance/price wasn't the issue for me (though they're not slow or expensive) rather it was low noise and in this respect the Seagates have delivered - the Baracuda range is well known for reduced noise compared to the competition.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

threadkiller is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 12:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for threadkiller Visit threadkiller's homepage! Find more posts by threadkiller Add threadkiller to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
threadkiller
Dark side Nrth Devon

thanks guys, some usefull info, I'll take a look around at pricing etc.

120Gig Tivo + Airnet + Sky Digital + Freeview + Tivoweb + Every module available until the novelty wears off, or my wife beats me :)

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Thaed is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 07:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Thaed Find more posts by Thaed Add Thaed to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thaed
TiVo Forum Special Member

I have twin Samsung 120 drives and they pixelate a lot. One of these days I'm going to pull them and put in twin 160 GB WDs.

But the whole stoning of Thaed thing is so tempting . . .
AJRitz

Thaed, I love your threads. Mavenelle
Dude...I don't even KNOW YOU anymore! SparkleMotion

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mk-donald is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 02:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mk-donald Find more posts by mk-donald Add mk-donald to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mk-donald

Well my Samsung 120GB drive has given no problems whatsoever - and once I realised I should have activated its (extra) quiet mode during configuring it for Tivo, I haven't heard it at all either.

Next Thursday 2nd July, a 160GB Samsung hard-drive is on offer at Aldi stores (their website) for £69.99 with a 3 year guarantee 'and cabling & software'. Plus everything Aldi sells has a 1 yr satisfaction guarantee - if you don't like it/want to keep it, take it back with your receipt for a full refund - eg used that satisfaction guarantee to return a pair of DECT phones that I thought were weakly featured after 6 months.

NB: The website doesn't say Samsung, but the in-store leaflet has the Samsung logo on the item.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pauljs is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 03:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pauljs Find more posts by pauljs Add pauljs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pauljs

I bought 2 Western Digital Caviar 120Gb 5400rpm from Ebuyer for £43.18 plus VAT each.

I got these since they were cheap. they seemed to run hotter than my previous 80 gig Maxtors when I did the backup

They are however quiet, work well and I can't comment on the reliability yet

Last edited by pauljs on 06-27-2004 at 03:11 AM

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Furball is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 04:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Furball Visit Furball's homepage! Find more posts by Furball Add Furball to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Furball
Totally TiVo

Currently running a 120 maxtor and ..........so far........... no probs and a year down the line now.
As for the noise side of things .......I cant hear the darn thing at all, then again it might be the cooling fans on the AV amp that masks it

Fur

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged