TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> New TiVo for the UK population? <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
gcclinux is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 01:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gcclinux Visit gcclinux's homepage! Find more posts by gcclinux Add gcclinux to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gcclinux

New TiVo for the UK population?

Are they ever going to produce a new TiVo version for the UK population? Why is it that the US has 3 different versions but we only have the old and original version?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pr1uk is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 02:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pr1uk Find more posts by pr1uk Add pr1uk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pr1uk
Advanced Member

No we will never get another version of TiVo in the UK, and in the USA they proved more popular hence they keep improving their TiVo

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

davisa is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 03:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for davisa Visit davisa's homepage! Find more posts by davisa Add davisa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davisa
Member, 120Gb TiVo

quote:
Originally posted by pr1uk
No we will never get another version of TiVo in the UK, and in the USA they proved more popular hence they keep improving their TiVo

Glass half empty sort of person?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

britcub is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 04:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for britcub Find more posts by britcub Add britcub to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
britcub
Bear with a TiVo

I would have to agree... I e-mailed every manufacturer I could think of a few months ago, and every one (except Humax... and look where that got us!) said no, they wouldn't be producing a TiVo for the UK market

Séamus

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Karnak is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 03:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Karnak Find more posts by Karnak Add Karnak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Karnak
'Local'

What happened with humax?

I haven't been paying much attention to this forum for the last few months but I remember all of the optimism and hope.

Has it just failed to materialise (yet) or have I missed something?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 04:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb
TiVo Forum Special Member

They announced that they definitely were not going to develop a TiVo. I think that people got carried away with the idea, rather than any real consideration on their part.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DeadKenny is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 07:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeadKenny Visit DeadKenny's homepage! Find more posts by DeadKenny Add DeadKenny to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeadKenny

I think events here may have some impact on new TiVos in general (anywhere)...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3790141.stm

i.e. Murdoch has by far the majority market for PVRs in the UK and in the US it would appear he's trying to kill off TiVo by buying up one of the major TiVo based PVRs and then possibly ditching TiVo and replacing it with his own product.

I'm fairly certain though that new UK TiVo is out of the question.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 07:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike

quote:
Originally posted by DeadKenny
i.e. Murdoch has by far the majority market for PVRs in the UK and in the US it would appear he's trying to kill off TiVo by buying up one of the major TiVo based PVRs and then possibly ditching TiVo and replacing it with his own product.

It's far from certain, or even likely, he'd kill off Tivo on DirecTV. Unless, of course, his plan is to piss off his best customers and get them to leave DirecTV.

I wouldn't be too upset about not having a new version. I'm perfectly happy with my Series 1 DTivo. I could care less about HMO, and although folders would be nice, it's not critical.

I don't know how your Tivos compare to ours, but my point is they really haven't improved them much over the years.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

fieldeffect is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 07:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for fieldeffect Find more posts by fieldeffect Add fieldeffect to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fieldeffect

The main reason I want to see a new TiVo product in the UK is that I want one with a built in DVD recorder.

Recording at single speed via "Save to VCR" really sucks.

Nick.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 07:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike

quote:
Originally posted by fieldeffect
The main reason I want to see a new TiVo product in the UK is that I want one with a built in DVD recorder.

Nick.

Oh, okay. I'm not really sure how popular those have been over here. I've only transferred about three items to tape so it's not something that interests me at all, which is why I didn't mention it as a change (it didn't occur to me).

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Toothy is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 02:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toothy Find more posts by Toothy Add Toothy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toothy
is not a TiVo fanboy

quote:

Nick.

I concur...I'd buy a UK DVD-R TiVo machine in a second.....that's probably the killer app TiVo needs, to go mainstream in the UK.

'Save to VCR' and VCR's in general are soooo 1980`s......it's time to make the leap into the 21st Century.

Last edited by Toothy on 06-26-2004 at 05:17 AM

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Andy Davies is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 12:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Davies Find more posts by Andy Davies Add Andy Davies to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy Davies

quote:

Like the Pioneer DVR-810 or DVR-57, pity you can't get them for the UK...

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DeadKenny is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 02:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeadKenny Visit DeadKenny's homepage! Find more posts by DeadKenny Add DeadKenny to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeadKenny

I'm not too fussed about recording to DVD. As the quality of TiVo in the UK is far from perfect being that it records off analogue SCART, then recording to DVD would have to be a digital transfer and not yet another digital->analogue->digital conversion (there are enough of those already especially for those of us with 100Hz TVs!!), and I don't think the quality is even then good enough for achive use to an extent that it's worth ditching VHS. Besides, I never archive to VHS anyway as almost everything I want to keep I buy on DVD and then I could always upgrade the hard disc on the TiVo instead.

For the movie industry the key requirement will be licencing the content so they won't be keen on combined PVR/DVD-Rs. With the likes of Sky+ the content is licenced/encrypted (optionally) so they are more likely to go for that kind of system. There are things developing on the internet too with on-demand licenced TV downloads (i.e. free to download TV shows, but licenced so you can't copy them and have a limited time to watch them).

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Furball is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 05:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Furball Visit Furball's homepage! Find more posts by Furball Add Furball to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Furball
Totally TiVo

Something I find interesting is all this chat about quality of TiVo and the need to copy to DVD in a digital format which TiVo cannot do ( well not normally ) but I do think people forget that 99% time TiVo records TV programs which from my point of view are 99% disposable.
So why would any one want to save it to DVD
Yes there are films on tv but these are generally available on DVD which contain a far better sound track and piles of other goodies.
We use our TiVo for just this disposable TV but which is now under our control
We have currently something like 100hrs worth sat on the drive and I reckon we watch less than 20% of it, where do you guys find the time !! The plus side we never seem to miss any of our fav progs as TiVo just seems to know everything we like. Its taken about a year but the suggestions are spot on now and if we miss something ie forget to SP or wish list it the darn thing still picks it up in a suggestion. Its scary, its the work of the devil I tell you!!!!!

Not sure why I have rambled on but its late and I have a nice glass of whiskey in my hand and a keyboard in the other ( always dodgy ) and just wanted to get it off my chest

Fur

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BigDave is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 01:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BigDave Visit BigDave's homepage! Find more posts by BigDave Add BigDave to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigDave

The solution is the other way around. Instead of producing a TiVo with a built=in DVD recorder, there are quite a few DVD recorders available that also "just happen" to have an 80gb hard drive inside them.

But without TiVo's EPG data they're kinda second best, aren't they? I've seen the programme data on Sky + and it sucks .....

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DeadKenny is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 11:19 PM
DeadKenny

I do indeed find my TiVo usage is much more "disposable" telly these days. Before DVD, I used to keep loads of things on VHS, but now with DVD quality being so much superior to VHS, TiVo, and even Sky+ (low bitrates on Sky, adverts, DOGs, etc), I'd rather buy what I want to keep on DVD and TiVo is just used to maintain stuff I'm not so fussed about buying.

TiVo for me gives me a nice stock of "filler" material to watch generally without me having to put much effort into it.

The problem with other recorders though is none of them are a patch on TiVo's EPG.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

donnellyr3003 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for donnellyr3003 Find more posts by donnellyr3003 Add donnellyr3003 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
donnellyr3003

there is a thompson on the market at the mo that has a combined hard drive and DVD (Writer???) goes fo rabout 200 quid on ebay 400 in the shops, Obviously its not quite Tivo (& probably only records freeview tv)

Does any one know if any of the knew UK twin tuner recorders could be hacked to use tivo software etc??

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DeadKenny is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:56 AM
DeadKenny

quote:
Originally posted by donnellyr3003
there is a thompson on the market at the mo that has a combined hard drive and DVD (Writer???) goes fo rabout 200 quid on ebay 400 in the shops, Obviously its not quite Tivo (& probably only records freeview tv)

Does any one know if any of the knew UK twin tuner recorders could be hacked to use tivo software etc??

I would doubt they're anywhere near the same hardware internally so support it.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb

Probably wrong CPU. MPEG encoder, motherboard architecture, and operating system. Definitely no TiVo identification chip, and no ability to subscribe to the service. Other than that ...

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BigDave is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BigDave Visit BigDave's homepage! Find more posts by BigDave Add BigDave to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigDave

Re donnellyr3003's post: just had a quick look at the Thomson DVD HD combo, and the spec says:

quote:
The player boasts a 16-event one-year timer which can be programmed either manually or through the teletext-based NaviClick EPG system.

Re my last post, it's the EPG that sets TiVo way apart from the competition - anyone ever heard of this NaviClick system? Be interested in any comments.....

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged