TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > UK General Chit-Chat
>>> Using your iPod in the Car <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Regor is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 04:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Regor Visit Regor's homepage! Find more posts by Regor Add Regor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Regor

Using your iPod in the Car

I'm looking to purchase an iPod soon but want to be able to use it in the car as well. I've seen this Belkin device. Does anyone know if it's any good or if there are better products anywhere ?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

manolan is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 05:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for manolan Find more posts by manolan Add manolan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
manolan

There's a brand new device from apple that works in BMWs and Minis to allow you to control your iPod from the steering wheel controls.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 05:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb
TiVo Forum Special Member

Nice idea. But is it worth upgrading both my BMW (2001 model) or my iPod (5GB original)? Let me think ...

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Regor is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 05:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Regor Visit Regor's homepage! Find more posts by Regor Add Regor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Regor

Unfortunately, I do not have a BMW or Mini!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TivoTown is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 06:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TivoTown Find more posts by TivoTown Add TivoTown to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TivoTown

I remember someone recommending this: http://www.everythingipod.com/TFM.t...dbs/products.db

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Major dude is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 06:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Major dude Find more posts by Major dude Add Major dude to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Major dude

I`ve used both an FM transmitter & iTrip. Both have major quality/interference problems compared with hard wired options such as plugging direct to an AUX input or say the Dension adaption kits (very expensive). So the Belkin may be a reasonable compromise at the price. I think I paid £20 just for a cup holder mounting kit. I have used cassette adaptors in the past and at the time they did not provide a reliable way of connecting a source to the car stereo but maybe they have improved.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Regor is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 07:02 PM
Regor

How do cassette adapters work ?

The belkin quotes 'The Mobile Cassette Adapter from Belkin easily connects your iPod™ device, portable MP3, CD, cassette player, PC, or laptop to your car stereo, through your car's in-dash cassette player.'

How does it connect ? Is it a wire which plugs into something on the car stereo ?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drjlb is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 07:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for drjlb Find more posts by drjlb Add drjlb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drjlb

Yes, it looks like a cassette but has a wire coming out of it. You plug the other end of the wire into the headphone jack of the iPod. I have a Sony adapter that works quite well. I also have the iTrip (for the car without the tape player) which I am not as pleased with. I have a friend that has the transpod someone else posted about, and he loves it. Seems a little pricey for an interface solution. I just insert the adapter into the tape deck, plug it into iPod and go.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 07:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb

The cassette adaptor has an electro-magnetic interface that simulates the passing of the tape over the tape-head. Some cassette players didn't like them because, like static tape cleaners, the drive transport can think that the lack of resistance indicates that the tape has broken.

I used to use one, but my BMW has a minidisc player, a CD jukebox, and no input socket. There is no way of connecting my iPod with the audio system.

I think that BMW should have created a hard-drive cassette that fits in the CD jukebox. That would be much more practical.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sjp is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 08:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sjp Find more posts by sjp Add sjp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sjp
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Regor
How do cassette adapters work ?

The belkin quotes 'The Mobile Cassette Adapter from Belkin easily connects your iPod™ device, portable MP3, CD, cassette player, PC, or laptop to your car stereo, through your car's in-dash cassette player.'

How does it connect ? Is it a wire which plugs into something on the car stereo ?

fwiw, i used one of these a few years back on at least 2 vauxhalls, 1 ford and a US toyota and a Geo Metro (think Suzuki Swift) with no trouble whatsoever.

i think you can get them from argos, why not try one - at least they have a real esy returns policy.

stuart

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Regor is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 08:37 PM
Regor

I think I will try one then if they are not too pricey. First thing - Must buy the iPod though!!

Thanks everyone.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Major dude is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 08:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Major dude Find more posts by Major dude Add Major dude to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Major dude

When you do it is well worthwhile taking out the extra years applecare warranty which you can only do in the first year. Otherwise repair costs for ipods are £193 minimum when out of warranty.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Regor is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 09:22 PM
Regor

How much is the extra warranty ?

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Major dude is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 10:02 PM
Major dude

£59
I do not want to put you off ...iPods are a great product. However if it does go wrong outside the warranty period and they do ...just look at the Apple support discussion page packed with iPod owners whose iPods have crashed and do not respond to reboots/resets...you are well and trully stuffed.
At least with the extended warranty you are guaranteed two years worry free use.
To be honest Apple have developed the perfect money making consumer product other than TiVo of course. Once you have an iPod you cannot do without it and because it has a hard drive it can fail due to corruption problems and then you are driven to buy another one.

So beware you have been warned.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Regor is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 10:22 PM
Regor

So it works out about £30 a year for 2 years cover. Thats not too bad, hope to get my iPod in the next few weeks. Think I'm going to go for the 20Gb version.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 10:49 PM
iankb

However, I have a Mk1 5GB iPod. If it failed, I would probably prefer the excuse to change to a later, larger model, than stretch the life of a low-capacity model that is incompatible with all of the latest add-ons and software upgrades. They change so quickly that replacing it with one of the same capacity would be considerable cheaper than the original cost.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 11:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

I have the DLO TransPod FM.

On the whole I'm happy with it. You can permanently mount the cradle on the dashboard, it charges the iPod from the lighter socket, and doesn't look as bodged together as the cassetter adapter route. You can plug a cassette adapter into it and just use it as a charger.

Sound quality is pretty good, but there are a few downsides:

* You need to find a "blank" bit of airspace to tune it in to as otherwise you get interference. That's no problem in rural Somerset, but I struggled a bit to find one while using it in London. If you're on a long journey it means you have to occasionally pull over and retune as the blank bit of spectrum has gets filled with a local station.
* There's a slight RF interference when the iPod loads the next track from its HD, lasting a second or two.
* It takes its feed from the line out at the bottom of the iPod, not the headphone socket - as a result the volume level equaliser doesn't work (the tone controls do) and you find yourself adjusting the volume manually quite a lot.

On balance I'd recommend it, but I'd rather have a charging cradle feeding a line out directly into the head unit (not possible with my car which has a manufacture specific audio system).

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

KR is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 11:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for KR Find more posts by KR Add KR to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KR
TiVo fan

quote:
Originally posted by Regor
I think I will try one then if they are not too pricey. .....

Quick search on argos: 534/2488 = £9.99
Argos

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Regor is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 11:51 PM
Regor

Fantastic !

Thanks very much.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HowardTiVo is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 06:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HowardTiVo Find more posts by HowardTiVo Add HowardTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HowardTiVo
Old and Bald

I've used both the Belkin TuneCastII FM transmitter, and their cassette adapter with my iPod. The cassette adapter works very well...the FM transmitter is not worth it, period!

HDVR2 w/105 Hours (Samsung 120GB)
SONY SAT-A50 (to be replaced with a UHF remote capable DirecTiVo when available)

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged