TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > UK General Chit-Chat
>>> Using your iPod in the Car <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
cyril is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 02:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cyril Visit cyril's homepage! Find more posts by cyril Add cyril to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cyril

6 years ago I tried an FM transmitter, but gave up as it was a bit too fiddly having to re-tune it in London.

So I have been using a cassette adapter for the last 10 years! Sound quality is quite good, but at some time I should build a custom dashboard with a TiVo, GPS, mp3 and phone unit and heads up display.

I dont drive much (5k/yr) so I havent bothered to do this yet.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Regor is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 02:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Regor Visit Regor's homepage! Find more posts by Regor Add Regor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Regor

OK, so FM transmitters are a no go then.

Here's hoping that one day more car manufacturers or car stereo makers will incorporate an easy facility for listning to mp3 players or equivalents.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ashley is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 03:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ashley Visit Ashley's homepage! Find more posts by Ashley Add Ashley to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley
Prat in a Hat

quote:
Originally posted by Regor
OK, so FM transmitters are a no go then.

Here's hoping that one day more car manufacturers or car stereo makers will incorporate an easy facility for listning to mp3 players or equivalents.

Yep!

All car stereos should have a 3.5mm stereo jack socket on the front that mutes the radio.

Philips 890 DVDR, JVC DVHS, MX-700 Remote

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pgogborn is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 03:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pgogborn Find more posts by pgogborn Add pgogborn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pgogborn
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by manolan
There's a brand new device from apple that works in BMWs and Minis to allow you to control your iPod from the steering wheel controls.

http://www.ipodyourbmw.com/

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 05:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

There is a company which will fit a cradle and set it up with a line-in to your head unit. I forget them name but i'm sure Google will find it.

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Regor is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 05:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Regor Visit Regor's homepage! Find more posts by Regor Add Regor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Regor

Is this link similar to what you mean Sanderton ?

Quote from website 'iPod routes iPod audio through the CD changer port and translates head unit key presses into remote control commands for the iPod giving access to FF/RW as if the iPod was an integrated component of your car stereo.'

The Carphone Warehouse provide a service to fit this.

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 07:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

That's the one.

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Sneals2000 is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 12:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sneals2000 Find more posts by Sneals2000 Add Sneals2000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sneals2000

Not sure if this has been mentioned before - but Dension make an iPod interface for Car audio systems that support external CD/MD multichangers - hopefully including my Sony MD unit.

It seems that there is quite a degree of control between the two - with the iPod being passed forward/reverse requests from the radio, and the ipod only being powered when it is selected as a source.

More details from Dension IceLink

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HowardTiVo is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 05:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HowardTiVo Find more posts by HowardTiVo Add HowardTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HowardTiVo
Old and Bald

quote:
Originally posted by Ashley
Yep!

All car stereos should have a 3.5mm stereo jack socket on the front that mutes the radio.

AIWA makes several units like this. I am thinking about buying one.

HDVR2 w/105 Hours (Samsung 120GB)
SONY SAT-A50 (to be replaced with a UHF remote capable DirecTiVo when available)

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pauljs is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 01:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pauljs Find more posts by pauljs Add pauljs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pauljs

quote:
Originally posted by HowardTiVo
I've used both the Belkin TuneCastII FM transmitter, and their cassette adapter with my iPod. The cassette adapter works very well...the FM transmitter is not worth it, period!

I agree, I think the UK FM band is too crowded for fm transmitters to work effectively, you just spend lots of time searching for a clearer channel, especially when driving

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

misterbleepy is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 03:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for misterbleepy Find more posts by misterbleepy Add misterbleepy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misterbleepy
elly's dad

quote:
Originally posted by pauljs
I agree, I think the UK FM band is too crowded for fm transmitters to work effectively, you just spend lots of time searching for a clearer channel, especially when driving

I find 87.5 is normally empty, as BBC & Commercial stations start at 88.0

(iTrip & Old School iPod)

There are places who sell CD changer adapters, so if your car stereo can hook up to a CD changer, then it may be possible to hook your iPod into it using an adapter (or two...)

Try here:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/help/ipodfriendly.html

120Gb Samsung and 512Mb Cachecard now fitted

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sjp is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 08:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sjp Find more posts by sjp Add sjp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sjp
Advanced Member

ALDI are knocking out a personal CD player for £18 starting July 1st... it comes with a car kit.

buy this, swipe the car kit and cables and you're left with somebodies christmas present.

aldi are also doing a 160gb samsung for £70 starting the same day.

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AMc is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 09:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AMc Find more posts by AMc Add AMc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AMc

I've been using a cassette adapter with the line out of a portable CD player for years. It works very well but now and again you get a CD with the levels set too high and it distorts on loud bits, not enough to put you off but you do hear it.
I guess the effectiveness of the adapter will vary according to the output power of the Ipod line out, the level you've encoded your files at and the individual cassette player's sensitivity?

My new car has a CD player, so I won't be needing it any more.
Mine is the same as the Argos link on the previous page, but minus the 'bass boost' (treble cut ) bit.
If anyone wants to try a cassette adapter they can have mine for a donation of a couple of quid to Oxfam http://www.oxfam.org.uk/what_you_ca...ashdonation.htm
PM me a postal address, I'll find it drop it in the post and PM you to send a donation.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged