TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Loews Reserved Seating <<<

Pages (5): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BOARshevik is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BOARshevik Visit BOARshevik's homepage! Find more posts by BOARshevik Add BOARshevik to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BOARshevik
OINK!

quote:
Originally posted by RegBarc
My whole argument isn't that based on race, ethnicity, color, religion, etc., but on age specifically. Youthful age, and in my case, gun ownership, are not covered by the Civil Rights act of 1964. Therefor, it is something that is discriminable.

I am not arguing that it is not legal to discriminate in this manner, only that it is wrong and should be illegal.

quote:
As far as your comments on gun ownership

I have made no comments on gun ownership. Again you attribute to me things which I did not say.

quote:
and carrier of a concealed weapon and constitutional scholar alike know that a weapon is a necessity to the user when carried for self defense, like my case. Just because I have the physical ability to NOT carry the weapon, doesn't mean I shouldn't. It is prudent, and dangerous to my liberties as a person and as a citizen to not carry my firearm because someone doesn't like it. If I go to a theater that says I cannot carry, and there are no 30.06 laws, I still carry because it is concealed anyway. If it is a 30.06 state, then I obey the law and I do not even go there. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

This is completely contradictory. First you say that you should always be able to carry your gun, then you say that there are laws that prevent you from doing so at all times. Which is it?

quote:
You have misconstrued me when saying I am for illegal discrimination

You are clearly misconstruing me. I never said you are for illegal discrimination, I said you were for discrimination, which happens to be legal. Not all that is legal is right. Slavery was once legal, that doesn't mean that it was ever right.

quote:
and I even said that the establishment has to abide by the law of the land. From Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964:

TITLE II -- INJUNCTIVE RELIEF AGAINST DISCRIMINATION IN PLACES OF PUBLIC ACCOMMODATION

"Sec. 201. (a) All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin"

And age is where? The only age based discrimination that I see is for the other end of the spectrum in employer hiring practices for those over a certain age, not under.

You have to understand, I am arguing on the side of the law and the law allows private businesses to say that people are too young to enter an establishment. I never said any other type of discrimination was right or just, and misconstruing my statements to make it look like I am arguing against the CRA of 1964 is kind of insulting. It is as if you are trying to make me sound less credible by creating lies about my argument itself.

In your first post on the subject, you mentioned nothing about laws. Read your own post, you mention how you think things should be, and you don't say a single thing about laws.

quote:
Another big point that you may have overlooked is the fact kids that are 13, 14, whatever, are alone, without parental supervision or guardian. If anything, the private establishment is protecting itself from a whole lot of civil lawsuits by not allowing them in unaccompanied.

There's a difference between not allowing 13 year olds in an establishment and not allowing 20 year olds. There is no liability involved in letting 18-20 year olds into an establishment alone.

quote:
Any discrimination that is illegal is wrong and we the people should put a stop to it. But, to put it bluntly, telling kids they are too young to enter is perfectly allowable by law.

I never argued that it was illegal (it is in fact illegal in the City of New York, but that's beside the point), only that it is wrong.

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RegBarc is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RegBarc Visit RegBarc's homepage! Find more posts by RegBarc Add RegBarc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RegBarc
Member-at-Large

quote:
Originally posted by BOARshevik

This is completely contradictory. First you say that you should always be able to carry your gun, then you say that there are laws that prevent you from doing so at all times. Which is it?

Just because I don't agree with a law, doesn't mean I will not abide it. There are plenty of laws I disagree with...but that doesn't mean I stop obeying them to the fullest extent. There are already laws that allow me to carry, and in PA, I am fully allowed to everywhere except for court rooms and schools K-12. I was presenting the hypothetical scenairo in Texas, but I still carry here because I am still abiding by the law. However, if they ask me to leave, then I leave because it is their ultimate perogative.

All of your aguments against me are purely on semantics and avoid the issue itself.

It is legal to descriminate against youths, and it is up to the owner of said establishment to choose if they will do so. End of discussion. If you don't like it, don't go there. They are doing nothing legally wrong, and while you may disagree with it, you'll have to deal.

The Triangle - Ed-Op Editor

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

StanSimmons is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 05:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for StanSimmons Find more posts by StanSimmons Add StanSimmons to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

Bs,

From the way that you are behaving in this thread, I suspect that you would be one of the loud brats that I avoid in theaters. When you get old enough to vote, go do so.

"easy as 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841"
Ask me about Vonage.

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

martinp13 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 05:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for martinp13 Visit martinp13's homepage! Find more posts by martinp13 Add martinp13 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
martinp13
Official Texas TIVO

Anyone know of any reserved seating in the Dallas area? I searched around, but found nothing.

And RegBarc: don't take your gun to Six Flags... they don't allow em there either. The first year they had the policy, so many Texas cops were outraged that they were not allowed to carry their guns into the park that they doubled the signage at the front gate.

TC-Con 05/Las Vegas : Come on, you KNOW you want to go! Check it out!

"We're out of our elephant..." - uncdrew's client
"My implants are frozen!" - One of the bimbos who slept on a glacier in The Amazing Race 6

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DBCooper is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DBCooper Find more posts by DBCooper Add DBCooper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DBCooper
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by danielhart
No more worries about getting to the theater early, waiting in line to get a good center seat and then some really tall schmo with a big hairdo shows up and blocks your view of the screen.
Quoz. How does a reserved seat for you eliminate the reserved seat in front of you for a schmo?

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DBCooper is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DBCooper Find more posts by DBCooper Add DBCooper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DBCooper
Advanced Member

quote:
A policy like that would also be pretty much the same as implementing one that banned people of a certain race from going to a movie.
Oh, that's silly. It's not age descrimination or any other kind to restrict specific showings to a more mature audience for whatever reason. And the kids can see the movie elsewhere. Even apartment houses are allowed to segregate their tenants by the age of their offspring or kind of pets they keep.

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

IndyJones1023 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for IndyJones1023 Find more posts by IndyJones1023 Add IndyJones1023 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IndyJones1023
Now in PG!

Stop feeding the troll, people.

Come to the Hotlando Meet!

The TC-Con '04 DVD!

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

doom1701 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for doom1701 Visit doom1701's homepage! Find more posts by doom1701 Add doom1701 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doom1701
Mr. Oblivious

OK, back on topic--are the theaters in areas offering reserved seating typically packed? In our area, the only time I've ever been to a theater that was full was for Spider-Man. Even most new releases tend not to fill the theater.

I'm just curious--is the reserved seating to ensure that you get the perfect seat, or is it because if you don't reserve a seat, you won't get one?

Anybody need some wood?

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fustanella is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fustanella Find more posts by Fustanella Add Fustanella to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fustanella
Homo sapiens tivus

quote:
Originally posted by DBCooper
Quoz. How does a reserved seat for you eliminate the reserved seat in front of you for a schmo?
Dunno 'bout reserved seating in that regard, but I've yet to have my view blocked in any stadium-seating theater thanks to the slope of the rows.

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Meinrad is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Meinrad Find more posts by Meinrad Add Meinrad to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Meinrad
Home Field Advantage

We use the Lowe's seating all the time. I like the ease of getting a good seat without waiting in line and running into the theatre. It is $5 more, but they give you a $3.50 food coupon too. Since I'm always buying food anyway, it makes my seat only $1.50 more.

The ushers are always visible and do a great job keeping people without reserved seating out of the reserved area. Only once have I observed someone getting angry with them about having to sit somewhere else.

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CTLesq is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 07:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for CTLesq Find more posts by CTLesq Add CTLesq to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CTLesq
Oppressor

quote:
Originally posted by doom1701
OK, back on topic--are the theaters in areas offering reserved seating typically packed? In our area, the only time I've ever been to a theater that was full was for Spider-Man. Even most new releases tend not to fill the theater.

I'm just curious--is the reserved seating to ensure that you get the perfect seat, or is it because if you don't reserve a seat, you won't get one?

Doom, I think you raise an excellent point. Where I live (NYC) virtually every movie in a prime time, time slot is packed. I have to be in my seat 30 minutes before the start of the movie if I want to get a seat that I want (meaning isle, 2/3 of the way up from the screen). Other communities, such as where my wife's family live (Maine) we could walk into a theather 10-15 minutes before and NO ONE is in the theater.

So I think it depends where you are and the type of crowds you have to contend with.

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bobcarn is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bobcarn Visit bobcarn's homepage! Find more posts by bobcarn Add bobcarn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobcarn
Birthday Hug Monkey

quote:
Yes

Yup, all of those.

Sorry, but maturity comes with age, and no matter how mature someone may be for their age, they still need to experience life a bit more before they should be legally allowed to indulge in certain activities. While you may believe that children should be allowed to walk into a liquor store and buy some Jack Daniels or Marlboros, it's extremely short-sighted and not very well though-out to assume that everyone, regardless of age, has the maturity needed for certain activities.

I don't have problems myself with teenagers at theaters, and will probably go see Spiderman 2 in the next two days with full crowds of people, but I also don't have problems with age-restrictions. And should a theater offer an age restriction, then I'd probably choose that showing over one that didn't have it.

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BOARshevik is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BOARshevik Visit BOARshevik's homepage! Find more posts by BOARshevik Add BOARshevik to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BOARshevik
OINK!

quote:
Originally posted by RegBarc
All of your aguments against me are purely on semantics and avoid the issue itself.

They do not avoid the issue at all. The argument was entirely about whether it is right to have such a policy not whether it is legal. You were the one who brought up the law.

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

justapixel is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for justapixel Find more posts by justapixel Add justapixel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
justapixel
TiVo Mama

quote:
Originally posted by StanSimmons
Bs,

From the way that you are behaving in this thread, I suspect that you would be one of the loud brats that I avoid in theaters. When you get old enough to vote, go do so.

No personal attacks, please. Stick to the discussion, and not the people arguing the issue.

This isn't the only attack in this thread, but it will be the last.

Thank you.

I'm eclectic.

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Frylock is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Frylock Find more posts by Frylock Add Frylock to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

I am curious, do you reserve a specific seat, or do you just get a particular area? Is there anything distinguishing your seats from any other?

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsmeeker Find more posts by jsmeeker Add jsmeeker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

quote:
Originally posted by Frylock
I am curious, do you reserve a specific seat, or do you just get a particular area? Is there anything distinguishing your seats from any other?

Not sure how it works at Lowes, but at the Arc Light, you reserve a specific seat. Just like at a concert, sporting event, etc.

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker, you will live in a dark place someday....where they do not allow TiVo. -- nachonaco

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BOARshevik is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:47 PM
BOARshevik
OINK!

quote:
Originally posted by bobcarn
Sorry, but maturity comes with age, and no matter how mature someone may be for their age, they still need to experience life a bit more before they should be legally allowed to indulge in certain activities. While you may believe that children should be allowed to walk into a liquor store and buy some Jack Daniels or Marlboros, it's extremely short-sighted and not very well though-out to assume that everyone, regardless of age, has the maturity needed for certain activities.

I never believed that everyone, regardless of age has the maturity needed for certain activities. I simply believe that age restrictions are the wrong way to protect children, since they oppress more people than they end up helping.

China doesn't have a drinking age. There kids CAN go into a store and buy Jack Daniels or Marlboros. I don't think they have 5 year olds stumbling around drunk all over.

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BOARshevik is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:49 PM
BOARshevik
OINK!

quote:

A particular area. It just guarantees that you won't end up sitting directly in front of the screen.

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zyzzx is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zyzzx Find more posts by zyzzx Add zyzzx to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zyzzx
Bucknut

So for theaters that do this, does it mean that if I don't want to pay more for the reserved seating that I'll get a bad seat? I like getting there early to ensure a good seat in the middle but there's no way I'm pay $10 more for my wife and me to see a movie.

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Meinrad is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Meinrad Find more posts by Meinrad Add Meinrad to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Meinrad
Home Field Advantage

quote:

At our Loew's you get a specific seat. They have seat maps for each theatre and we keep track of which seats we like in each theatre. I like the ones that are just 2 seats in the row. It's easy for my wife and I to get in and out while not having anyone else have to get past us.

As far as what distinguishes them. They are comfy soft chairs, with lots of legroom, and in the best spot in the theatre. They also flip up the armrest between the two seats so that it's like we're on a small love seat.

Really makes my movie experience much more enjoyable.

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged