TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Replacing Tivo with HTPC <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jimbo19 is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 02:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jimbo19 Find more posts by jimbo19 Add jimbo19 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jimbo19
IT Bullshitter

Unhappy Replacing Tivo with HTPC

I have loved my Tivo , fantastic product . However TV is moving on and sadly the UK Tivo market is not . No new or envisaged product
Due to the picture quality on Tivo and the fact I am upgrading to a HD Plasma I have decided to go down the HTPC route , this gives much more flexibility DVD recording etc etc

Has anyone tried Sage TV 2.0 ? I just want to make sure I get s/w that has all the features that Tivo has now .

I just wish Tivo could get a new UK distributor onboard , then I wouldnt have to go down this route

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwaring is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 02:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwaring Visit cwaring's homepage! Find more posts by cwaring Add cwaring to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwaring
TiVo Forum Special Member

Looks like a very nice product. Seems to have 'wishlists' and 'suggestions'. Can't see anything like a Season Pass, though. Haven't looked too hard, but is UK data available for it? Interesting to note that the screen-shots are all of US programmes we get over here. I'm sure that's just a coincidence, though

Tivo User since April 2002
38h 'Best' Quality (120gb Upgrade)
Telewest Active Digital with Pace 1000 STB
My Personal Web Site / Unofficial Telewest Info Site / Tivo Manuals and TV Ads

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jimbo19 is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 03:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jimbo19 Find more posts by jimbo19 Add jimbo19 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jimbo19
IT Bullshitter

UK Tv listings are only available at the moment via xml list grabbers , hopefully they will incorporate digiguide in there soon though
It does have season pass (called favourites manager) and it also has the equivalent of thumbs up and recording based on your viewing habits

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pauljs is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 03:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pauljs Find more posts by pauljs Add pauljs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pauljs

quote:
Originally posted by cwaring
Looks like a very nice product. Seems to have 'wishlists' and 'suggestions'. Can't see anything like a Season Pass, though. Haven't looked too hard, but is UK data available for it? Interesting to note that the screen-shots are all of US programmes we get over here. I'm sure that's just a coincidence, though

Please could you put in a link so we know what it's about

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jimbo19 is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 03:46 PM
jimbo19
IT Bullshitter

Sorry - wheres my manners

http://www.sage.tv/

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DaveP is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 04:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DaveP Find more posts by DaveP Add DaveP to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DaveP

The software looks fine but surely that's only half the story? How do you record Sky? They don't do, and will probably never do, a PC card with a viewing card slot. So presumably you'll be stuck with a capture card and restricted to capturing analogue pictures. How will the software work with a capture card? Either that or a FTA Satelite card or a Freeview receiver thereby missing out on all the subscription channels.

I don't think I'll be replacing my Tivo anytime soon.

Dave

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jimbo19 is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 04:29 PM
jimbo19
IT Bullshitter

Sky - scart to svideo in on pvr350
or a sweetspot card which will do rgb scart in to the pc

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pmk is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 05:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pmk Find more posts by pmk Add pmk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pmk

Just done a quick search for SweetSpot and come up with this URL

http://www.pluggedin.tv/sweetspot/specs/index.html

It says in the System Requirements for Display you need a Monitor (or similar) does this mean that the Sweetspot accepts incoming RGB it does not output in RGB?

Anyone know of solutions for outputting as RGB SCART?

TIA

Do you know of a new series starting soon? A special one off episode? Seen a trailer for a new series? Post details to the following special thread to help out other TiVo users who have missed the trailers. Click here for the special New Series Thread

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jimbo19 is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 07:04 PM
jimbo19
IT Bullshitter

The output would come from whatever you have on your VGA card
DVI or Svideo - if the card supports TV out
Alternatively if it must go back out scart you could use one of these
http://www.mediaatlantic.com/product.php?xProd=366

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

starfire is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 09:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for starfire Find more posts by starfire Add starfire to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
starfire

You will still need an IR blaster driven by the HTPC to change Sky channels inline with Sage TV starting recording.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pmk is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 10:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pmk Find more posts by pmk Add pmk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pmk

quote:
Originally posted by jimbo19
The output would come from whatever you have on your VGA card
DVI or Svideo - if the card supports TV out
Alternatively if it must go back out scart you could use one of these
http://www.mediaatlantic.com/product.php?xProd=366

Thanks but that is not RGB SCART.

Until you can output to a normal widescreen TV using RGB SCART a HTPC is not feasible in my opinion.

I know some Windows Media Centre PC's have RGB SCART output but this technology is not available to consumers to upgrade their PC's probably due to the size of the SCART connector (i.e. where does it fit in the back of the PC).

Any other suggestions welcome.

TIA

Do you know of a new series starting soon? A special one off episode? Seen a trailer for a new series? Post details to the following special thread to help out other TiVo users who have missed the trailers. Click here for the special New Series Thread

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Andy C is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 10:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Andy C Find more posts by Andy C Add Andy C to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy C

Some nice screenshots of it in action here, and a quite a good review.

I'm actually tempted to build a shuttle or similar running this as a little project, although I'd need to make sure I could get listings and change channels on my Pace STB first.

Hmmm, fun!

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Andy C is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 10:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Andy C Find more posts by Andy C Add Andy C to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy C

quote:
Originally posted by pmk

Until you can output to a normal widescreen TV using RGB SCART a HTPC is not feasible in my opinion.

Indeed. However, it's a good option for plasma / lcd owners that have VGA or component inputs.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

starfire is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 10:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for starfire Find more posts by starfire Add starfire to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
starfire

quote:
Originally posted by pmk

I know some Windows Media Centre PC's have RGB SCART output but this technology is not available to consumers to upgrade their PC's probably due to the size of the SCART connector (i.e. where does it fit in the back of the PC).

Any other suggestions welcome.

TIA

A Matrox G400 can support RGB output, on the maxtrox website is an official diagram for making a RGB scart lead - I've done it and it does work.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pmk is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 11:09 PM
pmk

quote:
Originally posted by starfire
A Matrox G400 can support RGB output, on the maxtrox website is an official diagram for making a RGB scart lead - I've done it and it does work.

Brilliant thanks. For reference:

http://forum.matrox.com/mga/viewforum.php?f=52

If you know of any other cards the output to RGB SCART please post.

TIA

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jimbo19 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 03:20 AM
jimbo19
IT Bullshitter

Or for any ATI Radeon card
http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/

personally I will be going DVI out to DVI in on plasma

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged