TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Hard drives on their way out??? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
smiffy is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 03:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for smiffy Visit smiffy's homepage! Find more posts by smiffy Add smiffy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smiffy
internetentrepreneur

Hard drives on their way out???

My tivo crashed yesterday and I could not get it past the Welcome.Powering Up screen.

I've swapped the pair (of upgraded hard drives) for my original 40gb drive and the Tivo os back working again.

Whats the procedure for establishing which drive has died of the pair?

Sky + with mirror sub
Wife, Three Kids! + Big Mortgage

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 08:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

The drive manufacturers have diagnostic utilities for download on their websites.

Sticking at 'welcome' suggests that either the A drive has failed or the B drive has failed in a way that prevents the TiVo from seeing the A drive (in that case, the A drive on its own would be able to get to 'almost there').

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 09:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb
TiVo Forum Special Member

And while you're on the drive manufacturer's website, check the warranty status of each of your drives. You will need the drive serial numbers which are printed on the drives, or often viewable in the diagnostic utility.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smiffy is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 01:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for smiffy Visit smiffy's homepage! Find more posts by smiffy Add smiffy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smiffy
internetentrepreneur

Thanks...

I've run the Power Max diag utility and it report the new 120GB HDD as "failing". Fortunately its one of the drives with a 3yr warranty so I can get an RMA.

Just as well I kept a spare drive!!! It just a shame I'd not backed up the SP's

oh at leat the menus will be quicker with only an 80gb drive!

Is there an easy way to recreate these SP's in Tivo web?

Sky + with mirror sub
Wife, Three Kids! + Big Mortgage

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sjp is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 01:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sjp Find more posts by sjp Add sjp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sjp
Advanced Member

if you're thinking of buying a new HDD (or 2) check out Aldi from this Thursay... 160gig Samsungs for £70. you'll not get at all the disk space without a new kernal but £70 for 137gb ain't bad.

plus they've a selection of woodworking cramps for £6 - possibly not the best make in the world but if you only need them occassionaly then they'll probably do OK.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

blindlemon is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for blindlemon Visit blindlemon's homepage! Find more posts by blindlemon Add blindlemon to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blindlemon
Knackered Member

At the risk of giving away trade secrets () I feel obliged to point out that bare Samsung 160gb drives are available cheaper than this elsewhere.

Of course, if you want a fully pre-configured, tested drive, with LBA48 kernel, cachecard drivers and TiVoWeb pre-installed, a torx bit, a bootable utility and drivers CD, printed instructions and free next-day special delivery, then you may feel it's worth paying a bit more....

Last edited by blindlemon on 06-28-2004 at 06:58 AM

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Paul Stimpson is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 05:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Stimpson Find more posts by Paul Stimpson Add Paul Stimpson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Stimpson

Hi,

I just had a brand new Maxtor drive fail after 2 days. I learned a very valuable lesson. I will never fit another drive in a machine again without running the manufacturer's diagnostic utility first. It can save a lot of installation effort on a drive that is going to fail.

Cheers,
Paul.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged