TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> CC protection plan <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
gregftlaud is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 03:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gregftlaud Find more posts by gregftlaud Add gregftlaud to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gregftlaud

CC protection plan

can someone that purchased their hd tivo from circuit city tell me if their protection plan replaces a defective unit or do they ask that u take it in and they try and repair it first.

i am considering all options before buying the hd tivo and am also considering the dtv 7.99/mo plan but the 3yr plan from CC overall would be cheaper.

greg

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gjp33usa is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 04:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gjp33usa Find more posts by gjp33usa Add gjp33usa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gjp33usa

CC Protection Plan

I got the 5 year plan with them. They told me that they would replace it with a new one.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

maxview is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for maxview Find more posts by maxview Add maxview to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maxview

No. They exchange them by mail with "refurbished" units.
They will be "new" to you, but they are not unused units.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ShiningBengal is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ShiningBengal Find more posts by ShiningBengal Add ShiningBengal to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ShiningBengal
Curmudgeon Emeritus

Why should anyone care if a unit has been factory refurbished? How is this any different from repairing your own unit, except it can be handled more quickly?

You send back a broken unit, and get back one that has probably been completely tested and is equivalent, at least functionally, to a new one.

None of these "refurbished" units can have been used significantly. Not like you have 5000 hours on the hard drive. And any obvious cosmetic problems will have been rectified, right?

Just wondering.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Scott Corbett is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Scott Corbett Find more posts by Scott Corbett Add Scott Corbett to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scott Corbett
Woodworker

When my first Phillips failed, CC replaced it (at the store) with a new Sony. However, that caused me to lose the Lifetime TiVo subscription (another story).

When the Sony failed I took that one to the store and was told I would have to call the national number for service. I did and they shipped me a refurbished unit. It worked fine except that the optical output was dead. So refurbished units are not always as good as new. The replacement for that one was OK.

They send a replacement and you use that box with a prepaid UPS sticker to return the old one within thirty days.

Mitsubishi WS-55313 RP HD monitor.
MX-700
It's tough without TiVo.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ShiningBengal is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ShiningBengal Find more posts by ShiningBengal Add ShiningBengal to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ShiningBengal
Curmudgeon Emeritus

quote:
Originally posted by Scott Corbett
When the Sony failed I took that one to the store and was told I would have to call the national number for service. I did and they shipped me a refurbished unit. It worked fine except that the optical output was dead. So refurbished units are not always as good as new.

Obviously "good as new" in your case was in fact, good as new. Your new one failed, and so did the replacement. Equal quality.

Seriously, refurbs cannot have 100% quality control any more than new ones or they would cost a fortune. A new unit could just as easily have failed.

In fact, I exchanged a defective Philips DSR 6000 at CC that proved defective out of the box about 3 years ago. The new one I got in exchange had a hard disk failure about 60 days later and I had to send that one back for a factory refurb. I still have that unit and it has given me no problems at all.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bill Broderick is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bill Broderick Find more posts by Bill Broderick Add Bill Broderick to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill Broderick

I went through this process with Circuit City last Friday and yesterday (6/28). Apparently, because they don't have any refurbs available yet, they told me (via voice mail) that I should exchange it at a store (they gave me a confirmation number that the store could look up to see that this was authorized). Unfortunately, none of the stores have them yet.

After talking to a bunch of different people at Circuit City, they ended up telling me that I should get a replacement from D*. They said that doing so, wouldn't affect my extended warranty at CC. But I'm not 100% sure that this is policy or only because they had authorized that I go through D*. I made sure that they noted this authorization on my file and kept the Confirmation #, Incident # and the name and phone number of the Service department person who geve me the authorization through the CSR to whom I was actually speaking.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gregftlaud is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gregftlaud Find more posts by gregftlaud Add gregftlaud to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gregftlaud

how long did u have your unit?

if it was under 30days...did the store offer u a refund?

greg

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tom L is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tom L Find more posts by Tom L Add Tom L to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tom L

Did CC offer to send another unit, if you waited until they came back in stock online? How about a refund, since they cannot do what the warranty clearly states. I have that warranty, one of the few times I ever bought a extended one. I had one to fail but I just took it back for a refund, because it was under 30 days.

I'm not sure I'd be interested in talking to Directv, they might pull that, "we will send a Tech out".. and I've been wondering, how does one handle that if they have, hmm, moved? lol..

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

thegeek is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for thegeek Find more posts by thegeek Add thegeek to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thegeek

At Sears if something dies under the service plan, they just hand you a new one. I've dealt with service plan replacements at CC and Sears, and Sears is far far better than CC. I had a $200 portable phone base + answering machine that died under the CC protection plan and after I mailed them the original unit, they eventually sent me gift cards.

Under the Sears plan they either hand you a new on on the spot, have you pick out a different one, or let you upgrade to a better item right there. Would you rather wait 6-8 weeks or 6-8 minutes?

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bill Broderick is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 12:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bill Broderick Find more posts by Bill Broderick Add Bill Broderick to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill Broderick

quote:
Originally posted by gregftlaud
how long did u have your unit?

if it was under 30days...did the store offer u a refund?

A little over 30 days.

quote:

did the store offer u a refund?

Kind of...see my next post that answers your question and others.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bill Broderick is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 12:26 AM
Bill Broderick

quote:
Originally posted by Tom L
Did CC offer to send another unit, if you waited until they came back in stock online?

Kind of. But it wasn't that straight forward. I'd have to return the first unit to the local store and then attempt to buy another one online when they became available.

quote:

How about a refund, since they cannot do what the warranty clearly states.

They didn't specifically offer one. But I didn't ask for one either. Based on the methodology for getting a new unit from the website, I guess there was nothing that actually required me buying a new one from them.

quote:

I'm not sure I'd be interested in talking to Directv, they might pull that, "we will send a Tech out"..

I had concerns about that as well. However, I had the name and phone # of the Circuit City service person who was authorizing the swap. I was told by CC that if there were any questions on D*'s part, I should have them call her directly. Essentially, D* was doing the swap on behalf of Circuit City. If I had the "we will send a Tech out" issue, I could have just as easily said "Never mind" and called the CC service person directly.

After talking to the level 1 CSR and telling them that CC told me to call them for a swap, I was transferred directly to the group that does the swaps. There was no problem resolution attempted at all. The only reason that I even had to tell them what the problem was, was to allow them to enter it into their system.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bill Broderick is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 12:27 AM
Bill Broderick

quote:
Originally posted by thegeek
At Sears if something dies under the service plan, they just hand you a new one.

In my case, Circuit City attempted to do exactly that. They just don't currently have any available right now.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gregftlaud is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 12:50 AM
gregftlaud

if you dont purchase the extended warranty these units come with a 3month warranty from directv dont they?

greg

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bill Broderick is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 01:19 AM
Bill Broderick

quote:
Originally posted by gregftlaud
if you dont purchase the extended warranty these units come with a 3month warranty from directv dont they?

greg

I believe so. That seemed to be a reason why D* didn't need to contact Circuit City in my case.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged