TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Parents: You have my undying respect. <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
YCantAngieRead is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for YCantAngieRead Find more posts by YCantAngieRead Add YCantAngieRead to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YCantAngieRead
1974 was much better

Parents: You have my undying respect.

I just spent last night, this morning and this afternoon babysitting my nieces, ages five and one, while their parents were doing other things. (Their Dad was on call at the hospital and their Mom was out of town.)

The one year-old's eyes got stuck shut during the night. She, understandably, panicked a great deal.

The five year-old tried to stick a fake flower in her ear.

Their parents forgot to tell us what they eat for breakfast.

Sippy cups actually DO leak. No one informed me of that.

Diapers also leak.

The five year-old decided at 1 AM that it was "Dance to Christmas Music" time.

Are one year-olds supposed to lick the dog?

And it took me a good five minutes to figure out these new fangled diapers they have now.

Whew!

I have NO earthly clue how you guys do it. I feel like I've been hit by a truck.

At any rate, thumbs up to all of you. I don't know how you do it and survive.

"So what you're saying is take off the balls, it don't work, right? " - Mythbusters

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

keirgrey is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 07:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for keirgrey Find more posts by keirgrey Add keirgrey to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
keirgrey
13th at the table

Aren't her eyes supposed to be shut at night?

That's usually a pretty good sign of "Pink Eye" Make sure you wash your hands throughly.

Licking the dog isn't anything a well adjusted family can't get through together.

I'm quite optimistic that I'm going to be depressed later.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

YCantAngieRead is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 07:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for YCantAngieRead Find more posts by YCantAngieRead Add YCantAngieRead to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YCantAngieRead
1974 was much better

Yeah, I forgot to mention the little one has a terrible, TERRIBLE cold. She pretty much dripped everywhere the whole time. Having a mucus phobia, that was a particularly fun part of the weekend.

"So what you're saying is take off the balls, it don't work, right? " - Mythbusters

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

youbetcha is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 07:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for youbetcha Find more posts by youbetcha Add youbetcha to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
youbetcha
lurker extaordinaire

See the great thing about this is that you're the Aunt and you get to go home!!! Kids are a lot of work, but they are rewarding (once in awhile . Sometimes you wonder what you got yourself into and try to remember the days when your big decision was what movie to see this weekend or where to go out to eat...ah, the good old days...

My daughter had a bout of pink eye and had to stay home from daycare one day last week while she was contagious. This was 5 days after my son was up all night with his first ear infection...fun, fun, fun. They actually have been healthy for a long time, we just had a particularly bad week.

Just breathe a big sigh of relief that everyone survived!!

Katy

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bkc56 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bkc56 Visit bkc56's homepage! Find more posts by bkc56 Add bkc56 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bkc56
Designated Grunt

You wanna know how to spot an experienced parent? When one of their kids is about to puke, they're the ones trying to catch it with their hands because it's easier to wash your hands than clean puke from the carpet. Yup, been there - done that.

It's hard to imagine the varied types of body fluids (and semi-fluids) you'll come in contact with as a parent.

Live can be messy, but it's good!

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robin is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robin Find more posts by Robin Add Robin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robin
TiVo Forum Special Member

Heh. I've done (or at least tried...) the puke catch with my dog!

As for how you do it...they grow on you. Literally. The day before my daughter was born I babysat a friend's five month old for a few hours. I was utterly clueless. I didn't know what 5m olds did, how to entertain her, nothing.

Five months later I was perfectly capable with my *own* 5m old, because I'd had five months to work up to it.

Now my capabilities with children extend to nine months. Plop a two year old in my lap and I'm helpless again....

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Drewster is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Drewster Find more posts by Drewster Add Drewster to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Drewster
Part-time pundit

/reads what Robin wrote, nods in agreement.

(except the catching dog puke part. I'll trust you on that one.)

That's my boy! Updated November 9
Recent Punditry: Interarchy 7.2
Fora: Ars Mac Achaia : FlyerTalk : Food Network : Oracle Calendar : TiVoCommunity : Voldemort

"I wish I could breastfeed..." -- BryanMC
8/30/04 - The Day I Stumped the SOAK.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Video-Idiot is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Video-Idiot Find more posts by Video-Idiot Add Video-Idiot to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Video-Idiot
My bad, sorry.

Now this is a yucky thread!

If you read something here that offends you... stop reading.
Even the voice of reason needs to shut up now and then.
A date can be seen as a nonrecurring expense... a wife is overhead.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ccouger is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ccouger Find more posts by ccouger Add ccouger to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ccouger
Evil Minion

Wait'll they become teens and then you find that you have entirely new sets of yucky issues to worry over and fret about! Then you actually begin to sort of look back longingly and even somewhat miss the simpler, yet messy, puke and pink eye type kid stages you've survived...

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 01:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by Video-Idiot
Now this is a yucky thread!

No, this thread is comparatively pleasant.

Just try reading this one: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=139894

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cptodd is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 04:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cptodd Visit cptodd's homepage! Find more posts by cptodd Add cptodd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cptodd
Just Me!

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
No, this thread is comparatively pleasant.

Just try reading this one: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=139894

That comment about the puppet had my rolling with laughter!

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

YCantAngieRead is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:01 AM
YCantAngieRead
1974 was much better

quote:
See the great thing about this is that you're the Aunt and you get to go home!!!

On a serious note, being an aunt has been the best thing that ever happened to me, hands down. It's been five years now since the first one was born and I am continually surprised at how much love those little kids have to share with me.

For a number of reasons, I'll never be a parent myself-but I think being an aunt is a wonderful substitute. While it was incredibly tiring, spending a full 12 hours with them without their parents was one of the coolest things-EVER.

Even if I did accidently let the one year-old run around for close to three hours with her pants on backwards. (Having a five year-old instruct you on children's fashions is quite funny.)

Oh, and I don't think I'll EVER get to the point where I'll try catch my cat's puke with my hands.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bradc314 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bradc314 Find more posts by Bradc314 Add Bradc314 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bradc314
Hi.

Before I was a parent, I could not STAND any kind of 'kid fluid'. I could smell a wet or dirty diaper three miles away, and one of the grossest things in the world was sharing a fork with a small kid.

It is amazing the things that change when it's your own kid. Parenting skills grow right along with the kids, and so does your tolerance for runny noses, sticky fingers, and drool.

Smelly diapers and puke you'll never get used to, but you learn to deal with it.

It's all worth it, I guarantee it!

(Note the 'wetness' on the little one. She's dealing with a nasty cold)

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

youbetcha is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for youbetcha Find more posts by youbetcha Add youbetcha to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
youbetcha
lurker extaordinaire

quote:
Originally posted by bkc56
You wanna know how to spot an experienced parent? When one of their kids is about to puke, they're the ones trying to catch it with their hands because it's easier to wash your hands than clean puke from the carpet. Yup, been there - done that.

It's hard to imagine the varied types of body fluids (and semi-fluids) you'll come in contact with as a parent.

Live can be messy, but it's good!

Been there done that with the puke catching (multiple times too!!) Or if I'm up holding them, I make the mad dash to the sink or toilet if I think they're going to hurl. I would have never dreamed I would ever do that, but now it doesn't phase me - just try & limit the collateral damage to the furniture and the carpet are my big concerns.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bradc314 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bradc314 Find more posts by Bradc314 Add Bradc314 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bradc314
Hi.

My wife runs *for* the puke, I run away from it! I'm quite a sympathetic puker!

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

edhara is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for edhara Find more posts by edhara Add edhara to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edhara
The Thread Hijacker

As long as this doesn't turn into another "Yay poop" thread, I'm happy.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gunnyman2k3 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gunnyman2k3 Find more posts by Gunnyman2k3 Add Gunnyman2k3 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gunnyman2k3
Annie's Dad

Thanks for the Kudos.
As a stay home dad to an 18 month old I'll take all the praise I can get

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

InigoMontoya is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for InigoMontoya Visit InigoMontoya's homepage! Find more posts by InigoMontoya Add InigoMontoya to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
InigoMontoya
Baby killer

quote:
Originally posted by Bradc314
Parenting skills grow right along with the kids, and so does your tolerance for runny noses, sticky fingers, and drool.

Seven years into the parenthood thing and I still am not used to runny noses, sticky fingers, and drool.... Fortunately, he's mostly outgrown all three, but.... *shudder*

As for catching kid puke: I've never caught any. Would I? I dunno. My son has this ability to puke *INSTANTLY*. I mean, he'll be playing contently and then all of the sudden launch a salvo. No "Daddy, my tummy hurts," dry heaves, or any other sort of warning.... Just WHAMMO! Thus, even if I was willing to catch, there's never been time!

Have you sent in your TC-Con '05 deposit?

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

justapixel is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 05:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for justapixel Find more posts by justapixel Add justapixel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
justapixel
TiVo Mama

Funny this thread is here now. I am currently taking care of my two nephews, 8 and 7. And, of course, I have a 7 year old son myself. It's loud in here, but fun. (I am thankful that I also have my 17 year old son right now too though - or I would not have this minute to be on the computer!)

I get them for an entire 7 days. We've spent the past two days at home, in the (wading) pool, with water balloons, and playing video games.

Tomorrow we venture out! Zoo and a kiddy park is our first stop. Wednesday is Scandia. Thursday is ?. Friday is baseball. Saturday we are invited to a party. Sunday is the 4th!

I love having all these kids over - of course, they can all take care of their own bodily fluids at this point. The only sad part is they aren't all mine. I should have had more than two.

Think my brother will let me keep them?

Oh well..

I'm eclectic.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Martyp is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Martyp Find more posts by Martyp Add Martyp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Martyp

Kids are great lol . Anyone want to take mine for a few days lol.

Just kidding we just got back from a short notice camping trip, we decided to go this past weekend so we could be home for the 4th and my 44th Bday on the 5th ( Would love for a bday gift in decending order. a wood chipper,a 20iin chain saw, Cash) any one want to bet on what I get?.

Anyways its a private camp ground and they have tons of stuff for kids to do on the weekend and the 5 year olds loves that she gets to pretty much freedom to roam . Daddy gets to fish ,big Sissy (15) gets to fish and do what ever. Wife gets to watch tv and read and what ever she likes. But when i walk around the campground it just knocks me back on how many kids and folks my daughter had meet and can tell you all thier names and the names of thier pets .

Ann you should check it out at the base iof the dam at berryessa. Kids could fish and have some fun for the day just tell them you want to look around cause your thinking of joining . great place to waste a summer day and not far from. Everyone drive extra safe this coming weekend

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged