TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Cable's Scientific Atlantic 3100HD and TIVO <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Kerry is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 04:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kerry Find more posts by Kerry Add Kerry to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kerry

Cable's Scientific Atlantic 3100HD and TIVO

I just got and connected my new Scientific Atlantic 3100HD to my TIVO Series 2. The HD broadcasts are sharp but I'm disappointed with the screen size.

I have a Sony KV-32HS500 TV so I have the SA's RBG and audio cables connectled to the Sony's HD/DVD In. What our cable company didn't tell me was that I'd only have a 24" diagonal pic (about 2" of black on all four sides) for any HD signal.

Does anyone know if the newer Scientific Atlantic 3250HD performs any better?

Thanks, Kerry

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Zakk is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 07:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zakk Find more posts by Zakk Add Zakk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zakk

What stations are you noticing this on? Typically there aren't a great deal of true HD broadcasts (or those converted to HD) except on HBO, Showtime, Discovery HD, etc. If you're on NBC's HD channel, for example, most of the sitcoms will have what you describe because it was all recorded in standard definition. As a comparison, CBS's primetime lineup is (I believe) all in true HD, and you should get widescreen from edge to edge (only black bars on top and bottom if you have a 4:3 ratio tv).

Last edited by Zakk on 06-28-2004 at 08:18 PM

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dogen is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dogen Find more posts by Dogen Add Dogen to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogen

It does that with non-hd sources over component, I have the exact same box.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dt_dc is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dt_dc Find more posts by dt_dc Add dt_dc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Re: Cable's Scientific Atlantic 3100HD and TIVO

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry
Does anyone know if the newer Scientific Atlantic 3250HD performs any better?
Yes, the 3250HD has several formatting improvements.

When I had a 3100HD I ended up hooking up both SVideo and component ... and watching SD channels via SVideo and HD channels via component.

See the 3250HD 'Setup Wizard' guide for an idea of the improvements ...
http://www.scientificatlanta.com/ex...ed/4003114B.pdf

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kerry is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kerry Find more posts by Kerry Add Kerry to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kerry

Thanks dt_dc, for the PDF doc link you provided. Wouldn't you know?— it does not depict exactly what my Sony's "HD" screen looks like. In HD mode only my screen has 2" of black on the top and bottom.

What's exciting about the PDF is it mentions the upgrading process and Setup Wizard. When I brought home the 5100HD I simply connected the RGB and audio cables (to HD/DVD Video 5 "In") and turned on the Sony and a second later I turned on the SA (in that order) so my system has probably not downloaded the upgrade, and, I have yet to see the HDTV Setup Wizard. I'll be doing that this evening.

You write:

quote:
Yes, the 3250HD has several formatting improvements.
I'm wondering if I'd be able to get full 32" HDTV with my Sony using the 3250HD? I ask because our cable guys are quite nice. I'm one of the first to ask for HD (the Big Isle of Hawaii has a relatively small customer base) and so they might just bring in the 5250HD Receiver based upon my feedback.

I did try the S-Video but it didn't work so I opted to use the Yellow "Video" cable and so I am able to get all our cable stations both scrambled and unscrambled via the Sony's Video1 mode. I use a splitter at the cable source and run one of its "Out" directly to the Sony's VHF/UHF "In" so I'm able to get all the unscrambled.

Zakk, our cable provider only offers the six pack HD (which includes HBO) so when I have the Sony set to HD mode I do get HBO, but as I mentioned above, only in the smaller 24" format (2" of black all around). When I view HBO and Ch 12 via the Sony's Video1 mode I'm able to get HBO in it's full width but with the usual black space at the top and bottom and bottom.

We'll see what happens when I use the Wizard.

Thanks so much for your support,

Kerry

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dt_dc is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dt_dc Find more posts by dt_dc Add dt_dc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

The 'Setup Wizard' documentation I linked to is for the 3250HD. The 3100HD does not have these options.

I don't think you're tuning in to HD channels. From what I remember, the 3100 can't downcovert from HD to 480i ... if you were viewing an HD channel by composite or SVideo you would get a blank screen.

Check your channel listing and make sure you're tuning in to the HD channels. HBO-HD is going to be a different channel than regular HBO ... ESPN-HD a different channel than ESPN ... etc.

What you are describing (black bars all around on component on 4:3 HD set) happens in 2 cases with the 3100HD:
1) You are tuned to an SD 4:3 channel. The box adds bars to the side and upconverts to 1080i and sends it out via component. Your TV performs anamorphic squeeze resulting in ... bars on all four sides.
2) You are tuned to an HD channel, but the station is taking a 4:3 image pillarboxed (bars added to the side) to broadcast a 16:9 HD image. The box sends that to the TV as is. Your TV performs anamorphic squeeze resulting in ... bars on all four sides.

You're not going to get 'full 32" HDTV' because it's not an HD standard. Your TV doesn't support it (ok, it might through a service mode adjustment) as most TVs don't ... as a result most STBs (including the 3250HD) don't support it. When your set gets an HD image ... it performs anamorphic squeeze ... and you get a 16:9 letterboxed (bars on top / bottom) image.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kerry is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:17 AM
Kerry

Got it about no Wizard with 3100HD

I am able to tune to HBOHD and it is an absolutely sharper but w/the 2" black border all around pic.

From what you say, there's nothing I can do? Drat, I sure feel screwed by Sony what with them touting HD ready.

Thanks, Kerry

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dt_dc is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:21 AM
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry
From what you say, there's nothing I can do? Drat, I sure feel screwed by Sony what with them touting HD ready.

No, that's not what I'm saying.

I am saying either:
1) You are tuning to SD channels
2) You are tuning to HD channels that are broadcasting pillarboxed content (bars added to the side)
3) There is something wrong with the box, you should have it replaced
4) There is something wrong with the TV, you should have it replaced

What other HD channels do you get? What movies were you wathing on HBO?

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kerry is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:05 PM
Kerry

I'll be darned. It has to do with the sequnce in which I switch modes. If I have previously viewed a SD HBO movie on Video1 and then then switch modes to HD and select HBOHD (the same movie) there are 2" bars all around, but if I tune directly to the HBOHD then it's as wide as the screen is but with the normal black bars top and bottom. Much better.

Thanks for hanging in there.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged