TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Split Second Black Screen/Video dropouts <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Scott R. Scherr is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Scott R. Scherr Visit Scott R. Scherr's homepage! Find more posts by Scott R. Scherr Add Scott R. Scherr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scott R. Scherr

Split Second Black Screen/Video dropouts

I am on my third HD-Tivo.

The first one had a dead component out.

The second one worked great for about a month and then began to experience a split second black screen about 1x/movie on HD-HBO; an occasional split second picture freeze, and a picture break-up once in a while. The audio always worked perfectly during these issues and the video problems were occasional and not constant.

I thought I had a defective hard drive so I called Directv and they shipped me a new unit.

The new unit suffers from the same problems. My signal strength readings are fine and I never had a problem with the Sony HD200 I had before. Audio is still perfect and uninterrupted.

I then did a seach over at avsforum, and discovered many people with similar problems with both the HD-Tivo and other boxes.

Anyone here having these problems? Anyone without the problem?

It occurs for me even when watching live TV. Playback with Tivo will always have the problem repeat in the exact same place. Only occurs on HD channels and HBO is the primary culprit.

Thanks!

Scott

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

marcello696 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for marcello696 Find more posts by marcello696 Add marcello696 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
marcello696

I have the same issue but I think it's a D* issue and not the HDTivo. The audio is consistent but only the video blinks live or recorded. Im sure if enough of us call and complain it will be resolved but so far it hasn't been numerous enough for me to be concerned.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

robnalex is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for robnalex Find more posts by robnalex Add robnalex to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
robnalex

I also see the split second blackouts and picture freezes, but not frequently. I don't know what the blackouts are about, but if the movie broadcasts are originating from a DVD the brief freeze could be from that source, as happens with all DVDs at about the mid point.

Panasonic RP-56 DVD
Panasonic TH-50PHD6UY Plasma Display

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Scott R. Scherr is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Scott R. Scherr Visit Scott R. Scherr's homepage! Find more posts by Scott R. Scherr Add Scott R. Scherr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scott R. Scherr

Mine are infrequent too. It is odd and it only happends on the HD channels.

Scott

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gr8reb8 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gr8reb8 Find more posts by gr8reb8 Add gr8reb8 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gr8reb8
Looking for deals.

I see them too. I see them on the new HR10-250 and my Zenith SAT520HD.
I do not see them on Voom (HBOHD). Although Voom has its own issues with a micro stutter every minute or so.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

davidmin is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for davidmin Find more posts by davidmin Add davidmin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davidmin

I see them on occassion. My guess would not be hardware failure, it would be a bandwitdth bottleneck somewhere.

David

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lady400 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lady400 Find more posts by lady400 Add lady400 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lady400

Add me to this list, too. I'm actually glad I am seeing others post about the issue, as I thought I might have a compatibility problem with my Mits WT-46805.

I have only noticed it on HBO-HD so far, both live and recorded. I don't seem to have the freeze, just the split-second blackouts.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sdj544 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sdj544 Find more posts by sdj544 Add sdj544 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sdj544

I have a friend at work who is having the same problem.
She had the problem show up when they added another receiver.
This sounds similar to a multiswitch problem. The hdtivo may be momentarily losing signal while it
tries to find the right lnb.
How many receiver's are you running?
How are they split from the satellite?
If you have a multiswitch, in line, are you sure its cascadable?
Anyone having this problem with ONLY an hdtivo? No other receivers?

-SDJ

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gr8reb8 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gr8reb8 Find more posts by gr8reb8 Add gr8reb8 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gr8reb8
Looking for deals.

quote:
Originally posted by sdj544
I have a friend at work who is having the same problem.
She had the problem show up when they added another receiver.
This sounds similar to a multiswitch problem. The hdtivo may be momentarily losing signal while it
tries to find the right lnb.
How many receiver's are you running?
How are they split from the satellite?
If you have a multiswitch, in line, are you sure its cascadable?
Anyone having this problem with ONLY an hdtivo? No other receivers?

-SDJ

Interesting theory, but why and how would the multiswitch single out HBO-HD????

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ivan1670 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ivan1670 Find more posts by Ivan1670 Add Ivan1670 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ivan1670

Add me to the list, this is my second unit and I have three receivers hooked up to my multi-switch (1 hd tivo, 2 UTV).

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AbMagFab is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AbMagFab Visit AbMagFab's homepage! Find more posts by AbMagFab Add AbMagFab to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AbMagFab
I love my HD Tivo!!

It's not singling out HBO-HD, but likely the HD sat (sat c?). You've never had to use that before getting the HD receiver.

For what it's worth, I haven't noticed this on my setup. I have a cheesy multiswitch (Aspen I think), but a relatively new dish. If it's happening, it's so infrequent as to not be disruptive to viewing.

I have an LCD RP TV. Is it possible TV type has something to do with it?

SD-DVR40 240GB with Linksys USB200M, TivoWeb, TyTool, tivoapp patches, caller-id, mfs_ftp (but no S1->S2)
HR10-250 HD DirecTivo, 500GB with LinkSys USB200M, TivoWebPlus, HDTyTool, tivoapp patches, caller-id, mfs-ftp

Click to see my useless thoughts...
DirecTV + Tivo is better than Cable, you're wrong if you don't agree.
People I won't do business with ever again: 1) Value Electronics

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Scott R. Scherr is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 07:12 PM
Scott R. Scherr

HBO is on satellite B (119).

Scott

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Scott R. Scherr is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 07:20 PM
Scott R. Scherr

Here is a thread over at avsforum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...20&pagenumber=1

It is not your TV.

Scott

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Hutty is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Hutty Find more posts by Hutty Add Hutty to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hutty

If anyone with this problem has an older Sony HD TV (pre 2001) there is a known issue that causes the display to black out for a second when a scene transfers from bright white to black.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RK7 is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 01:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RK7 Visit RK7's homepage! Find more posts by RK7 Add RK7 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RK7

I had the same exact thing happen with my E86 HD unit. Very annoying. Happened only watching HD, never when watching regular TV, even through the HD unit. I decided it was my plasma display and I was right. I have a 46" BenQ that I finally convinced the people at BenQ was the problem and got a new one. Hasn't happened since, either with my old E86 or my new HD Tivo.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Chris Gerhard is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 04:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Gerhard Find more posts by Chris Gerhard Add Chris Gerhard to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Gerhard
TiVo Forum Special Member

I am getting split second video dropouts with both my Hughes HTL-HD and RCA DTC-100. Not often but once in a while. I think it is a DirecTV problem.

Chris

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged