TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Flyers: One-way versus round trip <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AngryPuppy is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for AngryPuppy Find more posts by AngryPuppy Add AngryPuppy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AngryPuppy

Flyers: One-way versus round trip

I am going to be picking up a car in Ohio in August. I plan to fly out there and drive the car back.

My wife has been pricing tickets.

It turns out that round trip tickets are cheaper than one-way tickets.

This surprises me.

I expected that a one-way would cost more than half the cost of round trip, but I don't get the logic of why one-ways are MORE expensive.

What is to keep me from buying a round trip ticket and then just not using the return trip?

Terry

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

This has been the case for a long time, something to do with local taxes or something.

But no, there's no reason why you can't just throw away the return ticket.

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

brianp6621 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for brianp6621 Find more posts by brianp6621 Add brianp6621 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brianp6621

I thought (meaning had heard and read) that airlines can get pretty vigorous about tracking people who buy 2 way tickets and only use 1 half.

I haven't heard anything lately though and I wonder how they would actually prevent you from doing so, maybe denying future ticket sales?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DougF is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DougF Find more posts by DougF Add DougF to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DougF
Alliance Magician

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=171226

=========================================

I'm DougF and I do not approve this message.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JackBurton is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JackBurton Find more posts by JackBurton Add JackBurton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JackBurton
I made Skittles cry

Sorry I read your message and thought to myself "What does this have to do with Hockey".

Devoted husband of Jobeth66

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

quote:
Originally posted by JackBurton
Sorry I read your message and thought to myself "What does this have to do with Hockey".

So did I. Took me a minute to figure out what he was talking about.

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JackBurton is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JackBurton Find more posts by JackBurton Add JackBurton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JackBurton
I made Skittles cry

quote:
Originally posted by zaknafein
So did I. Took me a minute to figure out what he was talking about.

I'm glad I'm not the only one going through withdrawals.

Devoted husband of Jobeth66

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsmeeker Find more posts by jsmeeker Add jsmeeker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

Just do it and don't sweat it too much. If you kept doing it on the same airline over and over, and you had status/miles, then they might "do something".

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker, you will live in a dark place someday....where they do not allow TiVo. -- nachonaco

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

IJustLikeTivo is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for IJustLikeTivo Find more posts by IJustLikeTivo Add IJustLikeTivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IJustLikeTivo
OK, Happy Now? <vbg>

You might be better off anyway. The airlines are very very suspicious of one way flyers. A friends grandmother and his tow kids got so delayed on a one way fare at security that they missed their flight. Ironically, it was not really one way, it was a train out, plane back but it looks bad to TSA so they ask tons of questions.

A pilot friend who ferrys planes has all kinds of trouble due to this and that fact that he carries a flight bag. To avoid the issue, he checks the bag now and insists that the customer buy him a round trip ticket to avoid the questions. Stupid but that is the time we line in with the inordinate amount of power given to the nutjobs at homeland security.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jakerock is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jakerock Find more posts by jakerock Add jakerock to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jakerock
Spelling less well

Anyone hear from "IJustLikeTivo" since he called the homeland security people "nut jobs"?

I personally think they are the greatest bunch of people around. Of course, with my luck the filter they are using will just catch "nut jobs" and "homeland security people" and this will be the last I am seen too. Doh!

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LiveBlues is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LiveBlues Find more posts by LiveBlues Add LiveBlues to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LiveBlues
Master Blaster

I had an emailed thing years ago that was titled "If airlines sold paint". It was one of the most funny and most true things that I have read in a long time. I wish I still had it.

Edit: Google is my friend. Here is a link to it.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Satchel is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Satchel Find more posts by Satchel Add Satchel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Satchel
Who, me?

To ease your mind, you could always call the airline and say, "Hey, I just was given a car for my birthday and I'm going to be driving it back home...can I get a refund on my half ticket or should we just call it even."

Maybe you can get some cash...either way what are they gonna do, arrest you and force you on the plane?

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

StanSimmons is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 05:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for StanSimmons Find more posts by StanSimmons Add StanSimmons to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

Whatever you do, don't buy a one-way ticket with cash! Especially if you are a male, 18-40.

"easy as 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841"
Ask me about Vonage.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixadm is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for unixadm Visit unixadm's homepage! Find more posts by unixadm Add unixadm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unixadm

I purchased a 1 way ticket from NJ to Georgia back in Februrary with no problems whatsoever. No extra security checks, no questions.

I also saw that round trips were cheaper in many cases (about $150 round trip verses $200 one way!) , but I got lucky and found a one way that was $95. I drove my car to Georgia, flew one way back to NJ, had the movers pack everything up, then drove my wife and kids down to the new house in her car.

If it was cheaper to buy a round trip, I would have done it. There is nothing they can do to you legally. If you purchase something, and only use half, that is your choice, not theirs.

"If you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people.
If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you."

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

StanSimmons is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for StanSimmons Find more posts by StanSimmons Add StanSimmons to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

quote:
Originally posted by unixadm
I purchased a 1 way ticket from NJ to Georgia back in Februrary with no problems whatsoever. No extra security checks, no questions.

You must have paid with a card instead of cash. Cash/Check is a HUGE red-flag in the CAPPS system.

"easy as 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841"
Ask me about Vonage.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike
TiVo Forum Special Member

I don't think all airlines charge more for one way than round trip. I'm fairly certain Alaska doesn't, and although I've never flown SW, and haven't looked at their website, it's my recollection they don't either.

Also, check the airline websites directly, not through some third party site.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AngryPuppy is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AngryPuppy Find more posts by AngryPuppy Add AngryPuppy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AngryPuppy

I ended up getting a good one-way rate on Southwest airlines that was cheaper than the round trip fares I had seen. They don't fly to my final destination of Toledo, but they go to Detroit, so I am renting a car in Detroit and driving to Toledo.

Terry

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike
TiVo Forum Special Member

Wow, that was fast. It took you less than two minutes to follow my advice!

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AngryPuppy is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:43 PM
AngryPuppy

quote:
Originally posted by GoodSpike
Wow, that was fast. It took you less than two minutes to follow my advice!

LOL... I got delayed as I was posting my message, and your post slipped in there.

NO!!!

Wait...

I mean, yes. I took your advice.

Terry

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dschwab is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dschwab Find more posts by dschwab Add dschwab to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dschwab
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by AngryPuppy
I ended up getting a good one-way rate on Southwest airlines that was cheaper than the round trip fares I had seen. They don't fly to my final destination of Toledo, but they go to Detroit, so I am renting a car in Detroit and driving to Toledo.

Terry

So what are you going to do with 2 cars in Toledo?

Or are you going to throw up even more red flags with a one-way airline ticket AND a one-way car rental? Hopefully it's not a Ryder truck.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged