TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Flyers: One-way versus round trip <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AngryPuppy is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AngryPuppy Find more posts by AngryPuppy Add AngryPuppy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AngryPuppy

quote:
Originally posted by dschwab
So what are you going to do with 2 cars in Toledo?

Or are you going to throw up even more red flags with a one-way airline ticket AND a one-way car rental? Hopefully it's not a Ryder truck.

Drop off the car in Toledo. I don't sweat the red flags. It can only slow me down a little, as I have nothing in my history to worry about and a legitimate reason for doing this.

Terry

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tanstaafl is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tanstaafl Visit tanstaafl's homepage! Find more posts by tanstaafl Add tanstaafl to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tanstaafl
Spawn of Cthulhu

You can throw away the return portion of the ticket with no problem.

However, if you fail to use the outbound portion of the ticket then the return ticket will be canceled automatically. (The system assumes you never got there so have no need of getting back.)

As for why a one-way costs almost as much as a round-trip, it has to do with balancing travel flows. Consider this (much simplified) example.

Suppose you have one plane (which carries 100 passengers) and two cities, A and B. On any given day, 50 people travel from A to B and 50 from B to A. At the same time, you have 50 people in each city returning home. So, you have 100 people flying each way. Plane is full, no problem.

Now, suppose you buy a one-way ticket from A to B. Now, 50 people flew from A to B. But you aren't coming back; only the other 49 are. So, on some future day, there will be an empty seat that would normally be filled by a resident of A returning home. A 51st B resident can't take the seat because there would be no 51st space for them to return home on.

Now, if there was a person flying one-way from B to A in the appropriate time span then this wouldn't be a problem. But the vast majority of all travel is round-trip and the one-way flyer is uncommon enough that you cannot be confident enough that one will show up at just the right time to fill that seat.

This is a very simplified example but that's pretty much the basic reasoning behind it. Yeah, its a bit of a Catch-22 (one-way travel is uncommon because it is expensive and it is expensive because it is uncommon) but that's the thinking anyway.

If I get really bored later I'll explain the reasoning behind the paint joke....

#86 When the Evil Overlord tries to guilt-trip me by claiming that I'll be responsible for something he plans to do if I don't cooperate with him, I'll mercilessly quote Ayn Rand to him.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

musicforme is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for musicforme Visit musicforme's homepage! Find more posts by musicforme Add musicforme to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
musicforme

In the next month or so, I'll be flying on a Saturday morning from DFW to Chicago for $119 one-way. That price includes taxes too.

American has a ton of flights going into Chicago which is probably why the round-trip versus one-way cost isn't an issue here.

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AngryPuppy is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 12:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for AngryPuppy Find more posts by AngryPuppy Add AngryPuppy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AngryPuppy

quote:
Originally posted by tanstaafl
<snip>

As for why a one-way costs almost as much as a round-trip, it has to do with balancing travel flows. Consider this (much simplified) example.

<snip>

The thing is, though, one-way tickets aren't just almost as much as round trip, they are considerably MORE than round trip. That is the part that is hard for me to understand.

Even if the cost was EQUAL it would be almost understandable, but it implies that I've created a hardship for them by not occupying a seat for the return flight.

Terry

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tanstaafl is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 02:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tanstaafl Visit tanstaafl's homepage! Find more posts by tanstaafl Add tanstaafl to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tanstaafl
Spawn of Cthulhu

Told you it was much simplified...

Probably the 1W has a different Fare Basis Code than the RT. For example, pretty much everyone has heard of the Saturday night stay rule; if you stay over a Saturday night you get a cheaper fare.

So, suppose you price a round-trip leaving on a Friday and returning on a Sunday. You stay over Saturday night and so get the cheaper fare.

Then, you price your one-way for Sunday. Since this ticket doesn't involve a Saturday night stay, it doesn't qualify for the cheaper fare. Therefore, it could wind up costing more than the corresponding RT.

That may not be the specific reason in your case but it's an example of how it could happen.

#86 When the Evil Overlord tries to guilt-trip me by claiming that I'll be responsible for something he plans to do if I don't cooperate with him, I'll mercilessly quote Ayn Rand to him.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged