TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> How to Ebay effectively (Sell) <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jeremy3721 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jeremy3721 Find more posts by jeremy3721 Add jeremy3721 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeremy3721

How to Ebay effectively (Sell)

I'm trying to sell a camera along with memory and batteries I just bought a month ago. The camera is still in like new condition but opened. I used it on my recent vacation where I spent way too much money and now I'm desperately trying to recover some of it : (VEGAS - OOPS). In all I paid a little over $650 for everything new (I doubt anyone could price everything out and do much better)

The camera only had a 15 day return policy through Curcuit City so I'm out of luck there :-( I'm a little intimidated because Ebay is FLOODED with dealers selling the same camera "new in the box" which kind of burries my used cam. So far I only have one bid of $345 and the reserve is $410 with 18 hours left. I'm starting to wonder if I should pull it and sell it elsewhere? What about the extra promotion that ebay offers? I doubt I'm allowed to post the auction here without breaking the rules of the board but I thought you might be able to help.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I have only completed 12 ebay transactions since 1998 :-)

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

YamahaRick is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for YamahaRick Find more posts by YamahaRick Add YamahaRick to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YamahaRick
TiVo Forum Special Member

Most serious bidders wait until the last moment to make their bids. So be patient.

I just won a replacement cell phone on eBay ... the auction ended less than 30 minutes ago. My winning bid was submitted six seconds before the auction end ... not enough time for someone else to outbid me. In theory at least.

You won't lose anything by letting the auction run till the end. If it doesn't meet the reserve, you don't have to sell, and you will not pay final seller fees. So maybe you'll get lucky later tonight, and have a bid over your reserve.

Good luck!

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

What kind of camera is it? (just curious)

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

danielhart is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for danielhart Find more posts by danielhart Add danielhart to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
danielhart
Searchlight Casting

It may be too late to edit your auction to do this, but on high dollar items I often bite the bullet and pay the 19.95 for a featured listing. I have found the benefit to greatly outweigh the cost in most circumstances.

This other thing is sort of frowned upon, but it is a common practice that ebay doesn't really seem to care about I offer it for informational purposes only, it's up to you to decide if you want to do it: Some people check the bid lists on auctions for the same item, and they use the ebay messaging systme to "advertise" their item by sending a link to prospective bidders. I think the most "ethical" way to do this is to advertise to bidders from completed auctions only. Your mileage and opinion may vary. Also, there is a limit to the amount of messages you can send through the ebay system in a 24 hour period.

good luck

daniel

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jeremy3721 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jeremy3721 Find more posts by jeremy3721 Add jeremy3721 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeremy3721

It's a Konica-Minolta DiMAGE Z2 10X optical zoom (paid $440) 2-256 SD Cards (paid $55 each) and 8 Powerex 2300 MiMH rechargable batteries with a pretty good charger I got from thomas distributing plus a decent camera bag.

I think I may be able to do the featured listing still. What if it doesn't sell? I still pay the $19.95? It's hard to do that because I'm already loosing my butt on it.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jeremy3721 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:44 PM
jeremy3721

Well only 2 hours left but I have a new concern. The leading bidder has 0 feedback. I think I'm paranoid with just about any transaction I do now due to be ripped off almost everytime I've ever trusted someone....

Is the 0 feedback thing an issue?

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dslunceford is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dslunceford Visit dslunceford's homepage! Find more posts by dslunceford Add dslunceford to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dslunceford

0 feedback shouldn't be that big of an issue as long as you get paid before shipping...

Also, you may have put too much out there for someone looking at the camera. What if someone wanted the camera but already had memory (from old camera or whatever), that would leave them out of bidding on yours.

What I do when there are "accessories" is either they are there to sweeten the deal vs similar items that don't have, or you can put something in the listing that states "memory avaialable for $xx; extra batteries available for $xx" If someone doesn't pick up, then sell those separately....

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

landrumdh is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for landrumdh Visit landrumdh's homepage! Find more posts by landrumdh Add landrumdh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
landrumdh
Planning a Roadtrip!

Might just be a new person.

How are you accepting payments? I'm assuming paypal? If so get the money via paypal and then move it into one of your accounts before you send the item.

Just be smart. Document, ship insured, packaged well + tracking.

"What is gum, anyway? I looked at the ingredients and the only gum related item I could see was called "gum base." Is that a real thing? Is that the smallest most elemental form of the gum? Or is that like looking at the ingredients for spaghetti and meatballs and seeing "meatballs" listed?" - hefe

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ireland967 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ireland967 Find more posts by ireland967 Add ireland967 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ireland967
Version 2.0

How are you retrieving the money for the camera from the prospective bidder? Won't you be able to verify the funds before shipping anything, and if they never come thru you'll just be able to auction again? Bit of a pain, but you shouldn't get screwed. I'd be much more fearful of a seller with little or no feedback

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jeremy3721 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:00 PM
jeremy3721

I'm only accepting Paypal. I want it to be quick.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JustAllie is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JustAllie Find more posts by JustAllie Add JustAllie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAllie
Back among the boxes

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy3721
I'm only accepting Paypal. I want it to be quick.

Be sure to ship only to a verified buyer, to a confirmed address, and make sure you comply with PayPal's requirements to get seller protection. That probably means using Signature Confirmation, given the price of this item.

Good luck!

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

IndyJones1023 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for IndyJones1023 Find more posts by IndyJones1023 Add IndyJones1023 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IndyJones1023
Now in PG!

Damn, you're in Orlando. I really could have used one of those 256MB SD cards for my vacation tomorrow!

Come to the Hotlando Meet!

The TC-Con '04 DVD!

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jeremy3721 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:28 PM
jeremy3721

Sorry Indy, I would have given you a good deal!

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

IndyJones1023 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for IndyJones1023 Find more posts by IndyJones1023 Add IndyJones1023 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IndyJones1023
Now in PG!

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy3721
Sorry Indy, I would have given you a good deal!

[sniff] It's ok. I'm fine.

Come to the Hotlando Meet!

The TC-Con '04 DVD!

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AlanShutko is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AlanShutko Visit AlanShutko's homepage! Find more posts by AlanShutko Add AlanShutko to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanShutko

You know, you might have priced it too high. I just priced a set like that at B&H for $529. That's about $110 more than your reserve, and as a buyer I'd get the comfort of an established company and a warranty. (Most digital camera warranties are not transferable.) I just noticed I forgot the charger and camera bag in that price... adjust the estimate accordingly.

You still might find someone to buy it, but personally I wouldn't buy a "like new in box" from a private seller unless the price were half to three-quarters what it would be new from a good store.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

blips is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for blips Find more posts by blips Add blips to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blips
Advanced Member

Well your at $440 (what you paid for the camera) and there is 14 min left. So you're looking pretty good. And the snipers haven't come out to play yet.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jeremy3721 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:59 PM
jeremy3721

I'll be happy with $440. I know there is no way for bidders to know what they are getting when something is used so I understand that. They are getting a good deal though, a camera that has barely been used for what I paid for it and basically the memory, charger, batteries, and bag are all free for them.

Too bad I didn't make my decision a week earlier. I'd still been able to return it to Circuit City and then either use the memory and batteries for something else or sell them indivually.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RickStrobel is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 12:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RickStrobel Visit RickStrobel's homepage! Find more posts by RickStrobel Add RickStrobel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RickStrobel

I'm pretty sure CC would have charged you a 15% restock for the camera, so you may not have missed out as badly as you think.

Also, I would have listed the items separately and supplied a link to them with an offer for free shipping if you bought with the camera (which would have a shipping charge).

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged