TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> M-98? Legal version of M-80?? <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AV8NDV8 is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 01:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for AV8NDV8 Visit AV8NDV8's homepage! Find more posts by AV8NDV8 Add AV8NDV8 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AV8NDV8
Cross Member

We used to make something similar - take an empty disposable CO2 cartridge and enlarge the hole in the top. Fill about 3/4s full with black (rifle/pistol) powder, insert waterproof fuse and seal with a little wax.

At first we figured it would be like a grenade, throwing shrapnel everywhere but they all burst along a seam and laid flat, all in one piece.

Yeah, we used to have way too much time on our hands.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cletus is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 01:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cletus Visit Cletus's homepage! Find more posts by Cletus Add Cletus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cletus
connecticutie

"Show the love for your country by blowing up a small part of it"

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

testify4 is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 01:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for testify4 Visit testify4's homepage! Find more posts by testify4 Add testify4 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
testify4
Quad Damage

I always heard a M-80 was "a quarter stick of dynamite", too. I'm also too young to have ever had to opportunity to buy a real M-80, but I can tell you the ones I have seen at the firework stores (M-60, M-80, M-100, M-whathaveyou) are glorified firecrackers. We cut one open and the thing is all casing.

When I was a kid, a neighbor had some M-80's that he said he got from when he was in the Army. He said they used them for drills. I don't know if that was true or not, but that was one of the coolest things my young eyes had ever seen. The sound, flash, and shockwave still stick in my memory.

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Uther is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 02:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Uther Find more posts by Uther Add Uther to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Uther
King of Britons

Well, I don't know exactly what I had in the mid-80s, but it was about 1.5 inches in diameter, 6 inches long, and quite, quite, quite LOUD from a quarter mile away... The guy I got it from called it an m500, or half stick of dynamite.

It did a very good job of removing weeds, grass and dirt from the ground. When set off in the weeds, it cleared a nice 3 or 4 foot diameter circle in the grass, and blew out maybe an inch of dirt... But, it didn't do a thing to concrete (sidewalk).

Did I mention it was LOUD?

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

randyf is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 02:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for randyf Find more posts by randyf Add randyf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randyf
*Null*

quote:
Originally posted by AV8NDV8
We used to make something similar - take an empty disposable CO2 cartridge and enlarge the hole in the top. Fill about 3/4s full with black (rifle/pistol) powder, insert waterproof fuse and seal with a little wax.

We would use wooden dowels for end-plugs, and then cut strips of grocery bags , soak them with glue, and then wrap them in layers to make a laminated tube... then we would fill them with powder, and insert a wick. They were pretty @#$% loud, and would blow stuff up nicely We also liked to toss them in the pool, and they would sink, and explode throwing a big fountain of water up on the surface . Neato..

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

InigoMontoya is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 09:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for InigoMontoya Visit InigoMontoya's homepage! Find more posts by InigoMontoya Add InigoMontoya to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
InigoMontoya
Baby killer

quote:
Originally posted by bgreen5
When I was growing up, the folklore was that "an M-80 was equivalent to a quarter of a stick of dynamite".

(whether a stick of dynamite only comes in one size is another question entirely, I suppose)

Dynamite sticks comes in many different sizes.... And it may shock you to know that "dynamite" in and of itself is a pretty generic term. There are many different kinds of "dynamite."

Have you sent in your TC-Con '05 deposit?

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

InigoMontoya is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 10:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for InigoMontoya Visit InigoMontoya's homepage! Find more posts by InigoMontoya Add InigoMontoya to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
InigoMontoya
Baby killer

OK, for those of you who've never actually seen what an M-80 can do....

These two pictures are of some unnamed people setting up a firecracker inside a 5 gallon "Sparkletts" bottle and the subsequent splash. The firecracker in question contained 7 grams of flash powder (that's roughly 2.3X the size of an M-80).

http://www1.iwvisp.com/thehalls/Booms/boomer-01.jpg
http://www1.iwvisp.com/thehalls/Booms/boomer-02.jpg

This picture is (IIRC) an M-80 buried about 2 inches into the ground. For scale, consider the fact that the chunk of metal in the right hand side of the picture is the bumper off a 197* Caddie.

http://www1.iwvisp.com/thehalls/Booms/boomer-03.jpg

And for those who just love smoke and fire, I put a couple other cool pics in that same directory.

http://www1.iwvisp.com/thehalls/Booms

Have you sent in your TC-Con '05 deposit?

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LiveBlues is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 10:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LiveBlues Find more posts by LiveBlues Add LiveBlues to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LiveBlues
Master Blaster

Thanks for the pics Inigo. I have a bad scan of a good picture of a ~4000 lb shot.

Searching the hard drive...Found it.

I was involved in setting this shot up. The thing to note is that the edge of the hill at the bottom of the fireball is about 100' higher than where the shot was placed. Also, the brown specks in among the flares are chunks of dirt that are really quite large. The photo was taken from about a mile away from the shot. It was just a garbage shot.

Attachment: guamshot4.jpg
This has been downloaded 356 time(s).

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged