TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Anyone have a T-Mobile Sidekick? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
transpizzle is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for transpizzle Find more posts by transpizzle Add transpizzle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
transpizzle
Still lickin'...

Anyone have a T-Mobile Sidekick?

I'm thinking of getting one of these. Anyone have any experience with them?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smak is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for smak Find more posts by smak Add smak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smak
new glossy edition

There are a few people here, including Mr. Bott.

It's the best device out there for e-mail, im'ing and the web.

The actual hardware sometimes has problems, some people have had to get replacements.

And it's not that great as a phone.

There is a new version, sidekick II coming out in maybe 2-3 months. If you can wait for it, a lot of the problems may be solved, and then you are just left with a great device.

-smak-

1. Buy
2. Complain
3. Research
4. Apologize

Come visit us at TC Poker Community

www.tcpokercommunity.com

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrpurple is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrpurple Find more posts by mrpurple Add mrpurple to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrpurple
body by Guinness

I've been looking at them 2. if they get the phone part right on the II I'll buy one.

-Penn Jillette

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

transpizzle is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for transpizzle Find more posts by transpizzle Add transpizzle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
transpizzle
Still lickin'...

It will be a few months before I get one anyway. Just doing some research beforehand.

Can anyone confirm that ICQ2GO will work on the device? I use ICQ almost religiously, and if it works, I'll definitely be getting it within a few months.

Go to go.icq.com and then if it doesn't come up automatically, click "If ICQ2Go! does not start - click here" and see what happens. Thanks. I doubt it will work, but it's worth a try.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cabrill is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cabrill Find more posts by Cabrill Add Cabrill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cabrill
Just Hanging Out

My friend has one, and he's let me try it a few times. I can ask him about ICQ2Go, but if it's anything like AIM's equivalent then it runs on Java, which the Sidekick doesn't support.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

IndyJones1023 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for IndyJones1023 Find more posts by IndyJones1023 Add IndyJones1023 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IndyJones1023
Now in PG!

I have one (well, my 6th one) and (despite the high numbers, still) love it (them)! Don't you hate (really hate) when people (like me) use too many parenthesis?

Anyway, like smak alluded to, they aren't the sturdiest devices. I have had to go thru 6 (I think). But their customer service is so good, you get a new one shipped to your door in 2 days or so, with a pre-paid return box. So switch out your SIM card, drop the old one back in the mail and you're good to go. And do not drop the new one! By new, I mean refurbished. For my last one, I even insisted on a brand new one and got it. This may be too much of a hassle for some people, but the functionality of the device is so great, I take the good with the bad.

I can surf most of the web (excluding java and javascript sites, and of course, no flash) including our beloved TCF. And the keyboard is to die for, Muffy! I can have full conversations in AIM chat, no one knows you're on a phone it's so fast and easy to type with.

Plus, with the email client, I actually don't have to take my laptop on trips anymore. This is a phone, web surfer, IM device, and email checker all in one. Talk about your savign grace waiting in airports!

To emphasize the new model, however, it is suppose to address the current shortcomings. Namely, being produced by a larger electronics manufacturer for greater reliability (Samsung, I think, instead of Danger), new guts for better reception, a speakerphone, and a built in camera (the current camera is an attachment).

I have called this thing the phone of the gods for a year now, and despite the high number of swap outs, I still love this thing. I'll probably get the new model when it comes out if they offer any sort of trade in deal.

Just my $2.02 worth.

Come to the Hotlando Meet!

The TC-Con '04 DVD!

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fustanella is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fustanella Find more posts by Fustanella Add Fustanella to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fustanella
Homo sapiens tivus

I had one a year or two ago. And then another. And another. I handled them as gently as I could, yet they kept breaking. To add insult to injury, two replacements they sent were unusable right out of the box.

And then they started sending software updates over the air which were guaranteed to crash the device and couldn't be stopped. Three replacements for that later, I cancelled. They then tried to claim that I hadn't completed my original year's agreement. That was all sorts of fun to straighten out. Twice.

So, no, I can't recommend T-Mobile or the SideKick, even to my enemies.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DBCooper is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 07:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DBCooper Find more posts by DBCooper Add DBCooper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DBCooper
Advanced Member

As I wait "7 to 10 days" for my eighth replacement in ten months, I would not hesitate to recommend the SideKick to my enemies (whoever that might mean.) Luckily, I only have a 12-month contract. I see it might be worth $132.50 on eBay.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dschwab is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 07:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dschwab Find more posts by dschwab Add dschwab to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dschwab
Advanced Member

I carried a Sidekick for 6-8 months after they first came out and loved the thing at first. It is an excellent mobile data device, primarily for email. Web browsing was a little slow but not too bad. However, as said above, it is a very poor phone. It also had very poor PIM functionality, no Outlook syncing, which ended up being a deal breaker for me. Danger also really dragged their feet on releasing an SDK with many promises of release dates broken. And as others have mentioned, it is a very fragile device, both externally with a weak casing but also internally with antenna issues being fairly common.

I switched to a Treo 600 when it came out, and with Sprint Business Connection running on my workstation, I have email support that is nearly on-par with the Sidekick. And with the Palm OS, there are tons of apps that can be loaded, and the PIM functionality is leaps and bounds ahead of the Sidekick.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jeremy3721 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jeremy3721 Find more posts by jeremy3721 Add jeremy3721 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeremy3721

Is there anything from Verizon that comes close to the sidekick features. IM and Email with a keyboard sounds very attractive.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

knownzero is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for knownzero Find more posts by knownzero Add knownzero to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
knownzero
Alive is pain

I love mine but recently I've fallen victim to the dreaded wheel dying on me. I'm waiting for the new one to come out before buying again. I never use it for the phone (stinks), but for email and web it's great. The manufacturing problems (as seen above) are the biggest complaint by far and for good reason, though mine has survived this long (I got version 1 the day it came out). I've dropped it about 50 times over the years and the wheel is the only thing to go on it, but the color ones from what I hear were the worst when it came to problems.

Art is very often relegated to a small corner of this modern society. In doing so, many of the ties between art, life, and learning have been severed. Art is an integral part of the human experience. Whether it be formal or informal, the discovery of oneself through creation is something that everyone goes through in life. All the arts, not just the visual, provide the tools needed to make this self-discovery. To make art is to be alive. It is about living one's original ideas, rather than repeating those of others.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dschwab is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dschwab Find more posts by dschwab Add dschwab to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dschwab
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy3721
Is there anything from Verizon that comes close to the sidekick features. IM and Email with a keyboard sounds very attractive.

Treo 600 is due in July from Verizon.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smak is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 01:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for smak Find more posts by smak Add smak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smak
new glossy edition

Just my opinion, but the treo doesn't hold a candle to the core Sidekick features.

The keyboard is not even close to as good, the browser is not great, and it doesn't multi-task.

I like typing in a web page, going to reply to an e-mail, and while i'm e-mailing have the web page finish loading.

I don't use mine as a phone, so i can't comment on it that much, but from what i've been reading, the next gen of the sidekick's phone will be better, as well as the hardware sturdier.

To me, having a so-so device 365 days a year doesn't beat having a great device 350 days a year. I've really only had my sidekick break once, and i got a replacement in 2 days. I used my old b&w sidekick while they were shipping it to me.

Just go on ebay and buy a b&w sidekick for $50, and if yours breaks, you can move your sim card until you get a new one.

I am totally biased, because 95% of the time i'm using it for im, e-mail and web, i really don't use the other functions that much.

-smak-

1. Buy
2. Complain
3. Research
4. Apologize

www.tcpokercommunity.com

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smak is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 01:34 AM
smak
new glossy edition

PS. New Sidekick!

FRONT:

BACK:

-smak-

1. Buy
2. Complain
3. Research
4. Apologize

www.tcpokercommunity.com

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fustanella is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 02:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fustanella Find more posts by Fustanella Add Fustanella to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fustanella
Homo sapiens tivus

I'll reserve judgment on the new SK until they've had half a year in the field. If, at that point, a provider other than T-Mobile offers service for them, I may sign back up. When it worked, it was wonderful, but the hassle I went through - much of it unnecessarily imposed - offset the bliss.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged