TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Minivan and car purchase advice, please <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jschuman is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jschuman Find more posts by jschuman Add jschuman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jschuman
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by YamahaRick
4. Don't forget to check with your insurance agent to determine how much your rate will increase with the new vehicle.

Interestingly enough, we replaced a 1997 Nissan Sentra with a 2004 Honda Odyssey and our auto insurance went down!
YMMV, but it is entirely possible that with a new car purchase your auto insurance will be a little cheaper.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DMHinCO is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 12:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DMHinCO Find more posts by DMHinCO Add DMHinCO to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMHinCO
Blithering Idiot

Yeah, the Nissan and Toyota seem expensive. We liked the Nissan when we drove it, but ouch.

I'd say the two features that the Honda lacks when we compare it to US brands is 1) climate control for the back and 2) side curtain air bags (which we'll never use, right?) When comparing to the 2005 Dodge, it is the fold-flat seats in the second row that are additionally useful.

Thanks for the great responses. Please keep them coming.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Agatha Mystery is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 01:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Agatha Mystery Visit Agatha Mystery's homepage! Find more posts by Agatha Mystery Add Agatha Mystery to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Agatha Mystery
bite me

quote:
Originally posted by Scooter
I've had 2 Plymouth Voyagers, similar but cheaper than the Grand Caravan which were nice, but the transmissions went out oh, about 7 times between the two of them. So, that left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth and took a drive in the Ford Windstar. It's a decent van, and has been much more reliable than my old Voyagers. However, the new version of the Windstar is called the Freestar which does have a folding rear seat. Don't discount the idea of folding rear seats as not being important. Hauling them in and out is indeed a pain in the rear. All of the rear seats fold into the floor of the new Chrysler which would be very nice IMO (dunno how much cargo space you are losing though because of a possible taller floor). Even though I was upset with my Voyager minivans, the wife wanted a Sebring convertible. It's been a great car, however, I was getting scared when I saw the transmission bleeding at about 79,000 miles. A simple gasket replacement fixed that.

We've got a Plymouth Grand Voyager (99). Yes, the transmissions do go out on the Plymouths. However, Plymouth no longer makes the GV. They realized the issues with the transmission and the newer ones (IIRC) do not have this problem. We replaced our transmission at 36,800 miles, and are now at 64K and aren't having any problems currently. With a new 2005 model, this shouldn't be at issue. Look over the previous 2 years or so history of GV/GC and see if the transmissions have been giving people problems. That's usually a good indicator. I've heard that the electronics can go on these, but we haven't had any problems with ours.

As far as options, we've got front/back fan control and passenger/driver side temp control with the ac/heater unit. The back window vents are motorized, so you can open them from the driver's seat. We have the driver's side sliding door, which is pretty much standard these days, but if it isn't, make sure you get one. The automatic door/hatch opener seems like something electronic that will just go bad. With the new ones, I think the seats that slide into the floorboard could be really neat. Yes, you may lose some cargo space on the interior, but for groceries and the like, those can just go into the cavities and you really haven't lost anything. It does usually take the 2 of us to put the seats in, but once they are in the van, they're actually pretty easy to line up and latch.

My blog

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Thaed is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 03:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Thaed Find more posts by Thaed Add Thaed to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thaed
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by montag
IMHO, get either the Honda or a Toyota if you want it to last 10 years. We have a 2003 Odyssey and it's the best 'car' we've ever owned.

Whatever you do, make sure you get the DVD!

I agree with Montag. I got my Odyssey last Saturday (leather, DVD) and it is the best vehicle I've ever had.

But the whole stoning of Thaed thing is so tempting . . .
AJRitz

Thaed, I love your threads. Mavenelle
Dude...I don't even KNOW YOU anymore! SparkleMotion

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lwong is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 04:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lwong Find more posts by lwong Add lwong to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lwong

We're waiting for the new 2005 Honda Odyssey before we buy our minivan. Hopefully in a month or two. Since details on the new Odyssey are scarce, if it turns out to be not to our liking, we should still be able to buy a 2004 Odyssey at that time and probably for even less money. It should hopefully force the price of the Sienna down as well. If I had to buy one right now, I'd prefer to go with the Sienna but it's way more expensive to get a Sienna with GPS than an Odyssey.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Martyp is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 04:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Martyp Find more posts by Martyp Add Martyp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Martyp

have a 96 GC that we love . parts are easy to find and van is easy to work on.. Are you buying or plan to lease.? If you dont need new new i would get a used one and save some big $$$$$ the after market dvd players are bigger and cost less money .

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Sleestak is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 07:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sleestak Find more posts by Sleestak Add Sleestak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sleestak
Lizzard Member

Re: Minivan and car purchase advice, please

quote:
Originally posted by DMHinCO
are we foolish to buy American rather than Japanese?

I'd check and see where these things are really made...
My Eclipse was made in IL.
Mercedes SUVs have been made in AL. Europeans don't drive behemoths.
Most VWs are made in Mexico.
Toyota Corollas in CA.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged