TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
>>> "cable/antenna" option (just like "satellite/antenna") <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
busyba is offline Old Post 02-05-2003 11:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for busyba Find more posts by busyba Add busyba to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
busyba

Angry "cable/antenna" option (just like "satellite/antenna")

I'm sure that I must be the umpteenth person to request this (and if not, I can't imagine why), but I didn't see it in the "Frequently Requested" post, so here goes...

I'd like to connect my cable box to TiVo via the RCA inputs and connect the "plain" cable to TiVo via the RF input (which is exactly how I connected my VCR). This way I can record unscrambled channels on TiVo direct from the "antenna" and use the cable box to watch something like HBO (the box also connects direct to the TV's 2nd input). I shouldn't have to commit my cable box for recording a channel that I can get just as easily OTA.

This very exact capability already exists if I were using a satellite dish box in combination with an RF antenna input, in the Guided Setup it's called "Satellite/Antenna".

For the life of me, I can't figure out why there isn't also a "Cable/Antenna" available, since it's the absolute exact same functionality, just a different lineup and IR code-- not exactly a huge programming challenge; most of the code's already been written. (And one could argue that there are many, many more people who have a Cable/Antenna setup than a Satellite/Antenna one).

And yes, I'm already familiar with the workaround (Satellite/Antenna with a single bogus channel selected from the satellite linup), but it's not an adequate solution since you're reduced to only manual recording from the cable box input; all advanced functionality like guide/wishlist/etc is rendered useless for the scrambled channels.

This is a serious enough issue for me that I'm almost inclined to return my unit over it (as much as I'd rather not). I'm sure that there are many savvy users who aren't even buying TiVo in the first place over this issue, which is unfortunate, considering how the feature is so useful and so trivial to implement.

--Bob

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged