TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> 2x DVD-R for Apple Superdrive (Pioneer DVR-104)? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ursine1 is offline Old Post 06-17-2003 12:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ursine1 Visit ursine1's homepage! Find more posts by ursine1 Add ursine1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ursine1
That one guy

2x DVD-R for Apple Superdrive (Pioneer DVR-104)?

Anyone have any good experience with 2x media for the Pioneer DVR-104 drive? (I've got the latest firmware update.) I've only been able to get 2x burning from the Apple-branded disk that came with my iMac and some Maxell disks from Best Buy (which may or may not be the same thing it seems). Both are pretty expensive... but I haven't found an alternative that burns faster than 1x. Compatibility with players isn't an issue; I'm just using the disks for archiving data that will be read back into the iMac.

Anyone have any suggestions?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

doom1701 is offline Old Post 06-17-2003 05:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for doom1701 Visit doom1701's homepage! Find more posts by doom1701 Add doom1701 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doom1701
Mr. Oblivious

Nope, we've had the same problem. Ironically, the Maxells were in our price range because they were discontinued--bummer, since they worked so well.

I think the problem is that a lot of media is now 4x--the firmware update writes anything but 2x media out at 1x speed. You'll need to find something that is specifically 2x media.

Anybody need some wood?

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Animgif is offline Old Post 06-17-2003 08:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Animgif Visit Animgif's homepage! Find more posts by Animgif Add Animgif to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Animgif
Law Stud[ent]

Same problem here too...I only get 1x burn, even on 2x media, unless it's the Apple DVD's...Newest firmware here also =(

Animgif is a true car geek - jojo
"If I met myself I'd probably become homosexual." - Bryanmc
"I can't answer that, because some self-proclaimed bigot in Texas thinks I should be ashamed of my family." - Medieval Guy
Chase is in my timezone.. Heck, he's in the same state.. He's more MY homo than yours, so :p - jsmeeker fighting with whoknows55 over me!

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ursine1 is offline Old Post 06-17-2003 10:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ursine1 Visit ursine1's homepage! Find more posts by ursine1 Add ursine1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ursine1
That one guy

Hmmm... just checking the forums at Meritline and the reports are similar. Yikes... the Apple media is $3 a pop, but I can't seem to find an alternative.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Animgif is offline Old Post 06-17-2003 11:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Animgif Visit Animgif's homepage! Find more posts by Animgif Add Animgif to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Animgif
Law Stud[ent]

The best reason I can tell is because the firmware that we get from Apple isn't the same retail firmware, which sucks..becuase we don't get firmware upgrades very often... =(

"I can't answer that, because some self-proclaimed bigot in Texas thinks I should be ashamed of my family." - Medieval Guy
Chase is in my timezone.. Heck, he's in the same state.. He's more MY homo than yours, so :p - jsmeeker fighting with whoknows55 over me!

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raj is offline Old Post 06-18-2003 12:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raj Visit Raj's homepage! Find more posts by Raj Add Raj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raj
1.5kW of fun!

I have a cendyne branded Pioneer drive, and I updated the firmware. I can now burn nearly every disc I buy at 2x.

Memorex gives me the best price/quality/compatibility.

In memory of Ed Hopper -- 5130 --

I'm noticing more and more how my life is beginning to mirror Raj's....YIKES!! --disco

1x107hr Sony DirecTiVo
1x35hr Hughes HDVR2 DirecTV DVR powered by TiVo

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raj is offline Old Post 06-18-2003 12:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raj Visit Raj's homepage! Find more posts by Raj Add Raj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raj
1.5kW of fun!

quote:
Originally posted by Animgif
Same problem here too...I only get 1x burn, even on 2x media, unless it's the Apple DVD's...Newest firmware here also =(

So in other words, apple is effectively forcing you to buy apple branded DVD-R?

Did you try TDK DVD-R? Before I updated my firmware I used TDK and it burned at 2x without problems.

I'm noticing more and more how my life is beginning to mirror Raj's....YIKES!! --disco

1x107hr Sony DirecTiVo

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Avian is offline Old Post 06-18-2003 12:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Avian Visit Avian's homepage! Find more posts by Avian Add Avian to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Avian
Tired and Unhappy

You can find firmware on the internet that makes your drive able to burn 2x on any media.. do a google search.

Blog

I wonder how we change if we can in this land
I wonder how many mountains we'd move if we band together
Us priveleged Americans
I wonder what we'd change in this land cause we can
Even with western centricity this rampant
Us ugly Americans

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raj is offline Old Post 06-18-2003 12:50 AM
Raj
1.5kW of fun!

quote:
Originally posted by Avian
You can find firmware on the internet that makes your drive able to burn 2x on any media.. do a google search.

This is hacked firmware, right?

1x107hr Sony DirecTiVo

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Animgif is offline Old Post 06-18-2003 01:19 AM
Animgif
Law Stud[ent]

I'm not real keen on using 'hacked' or non supported firmware on my burner...normally I would be, but I like to keep my stuff 'just working'...I guess I'll just have to put up with it!

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ursine1 is offline Old Post 06-18-2003 12:30 PM
ursine1
That one guy

Update: I bought a 10-pack of Verbatim "DataLifePlus" 2x DVD-R's at MicroCenter for $18.99 and have successfully burned 2 so far at 2x. At $1.89 they're a bit cheaper than the Apple brand at $3.00.

If anyone's interested, the "reorder" number on the back, just above the UPC, is 94077.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 06-18-2003 09:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fofer Find more posts by Fofer Add Fofer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fofer
TiVo Forum Special Member

It's not necessarily hacked firmware. I've heard of folks who have thrown caution to the wind and used the standard Pioneer firmware updates on their Apple SuperDrive (which, technically, is a Pioneer device, supposedly with Apple ROMs inside.)
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/hs/pioneer.html

I guess my concern with that would be to maintain it's bootability, and future compatibility with iDVD.
There's nothing stopping Apple from requiring iDVD users to have an Apple branded SuperDrive with the Apple-sanctioned firmware (and hey, they done similar things in the past.)

Of course, Apple has released their own version of the firmware to coexist peacefully with 4x media: http://www.apple.com/hardware/superdrive/
(BTW, this link has been on their main page for months! I still wonder what would happen if someone screwed up their SuperDrive NOW using 4x media, if Apple would cover the replacement. I'm sure there are some folks out there who have no clue about this much-publicized update.)

So -- thanks for the update ursine1. It's good to know there's alternate media at cheaper prices, without having to jeopardize our "otherwise working" machines.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

IJustLikeTivo is offline Old Post 06-18-2003 09:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for IJustLikeTivo Find more posts by IJustLikeTivo Add IJustLikeTivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IJustLikeTivo
OK, Happy Now? <vbg>

Preface: I have an iMac but know very little about Apple hardware. ( I bought the machine to use for video editing).

Questions:

1. How do you update the firmware.

2. Where in iDvd do you set the burn speed? Or does it try the fastest and drop down. I've had lots of problems with making coaster and if 1X is more reliable, I will let it take longer. I don't use the machine while it is burning anyway, just to be safe.

3. Related note. How do I turn off the screen saver while burning. I get nervous abouting it kicking in while the burner is running.

Thanks

IJLT

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Animgif is offline Old Post 06-18-2003 09:50 PM
Animgif
Law Stud[ent]

quote:
Originally posted by Fofer
I guess my concern with that would be to maintain it's bootability, and future compatibility with iDVD.
There's nothing stopping Apple from requiring iDVD users to have an Apple branded SuperDrive with the Apple-sanctioned firmware (and hey, they done similar things in the past.)

This is my concern too...They are always very picky about having 'stock' systems, ESPECIALLY if you need support. I don't know that I have the balls to go ahead with an upgrade. I just wish Apple would release another firmaware upgrade to address these problems.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 06-18-2003 10:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fofer Find more posts by Fofer Add Fofer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fofer
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by IJustLikeTivo
1. How do you update the firmware.

2. Where in iDvd do you set the burn speed? Or does it try the fastest and drop down. I've had lots of problems with making coaster and if 1X is more reliable, I will let it take longer. I don't use the machine while it is burning anyway, just to be safe.

3. Related note. How do I turn off the screen saver while burning. I get nervous abouting it kicking in while the burner is running.

1. Follow this link: http://www.apple.com/hardware/superdrive/

2. It's automatic in iDVD, I'm pretty sure. A bigger issue when creating DVD video, however is the MPEG-2 compression. Your caution is well-founded though... if you want to ensure the most compatibility across many players, it doesn't hurt to burn at 1x whenever possible.

The speed choices are presented in Toast, though.

3. In the "Screen Effects" system preference, set a hot corner with a "-" so that whenever you put the cursor in that corner, the screensaver will not kick in. You don't have anything to worry about though, the screensaver won't hurt the DVD burn process. However, I'd be more concerned about Energy Saver and sleep. For that, try this: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/mac/17893

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged