TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Music/mp3 playlists and such <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Succorso is offline Old Post 07-06-2003 08:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Succorso Find more posts by Succorso Add Succorso to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Succorso

Music/mp3 playlists and such

I have a series 1 and I am considering getting a series 2 just for the multimedia feature. I am going to rip ALL my cd's to a hard drive and listen to them via tivo.

I want to know how does Tivo arranges playlists, by album, artist ? Also, how flexible is this ? Can I make my own playlists ? Is it searchable ? And does it have a random feature.

Thanks for the help.

Succorso

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

millertivo is offline Old Post 07-07-2003 01:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for millertivo Find more posts by millertivo Add millertivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
millertivo

Tivo doesn't arrange anything. You "publish" a folder on your hard drive, but it is up to you to organize the folder. Tivo will view it just like you have it on you hard drive. For example, I have all my music under the folder "My Music" which is the folder that I published. Then within that folder are folders by artist, under the artist folder are folders by album, and so on.

I did the same thing you are doing back in April when I first got HMO. I'm now using J River's Media Center (search on the forum for more discussion of this option) because it gives you a little more flexibility in the way you browse through your collection than does Tivo Desktop. It is also a great tool for organizing your music.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Succorso is offline Old Post 07-07-2003 01:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Succorso Find more posts by Succorso Add Succorso to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Succorso

I just downloaded j river to start ripping my cd's to my hard drive. Are you using j river in conjunction with tivo ?

Succoso

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Hunter Green is offline Old Post 07-07-2003 04:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Hunter Green Visit Hunter Green's homepage! Find more posts by Hunter Green Add Hunter Green to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

In general TiVo leaves all the job of organizing your music to the PC. That could mean (as in the case of TiVoDesktop) that you build and publish playlists on the PC using whatever program you already are comfortable with, or (as in the case of J River) the PC server software builds playlists on the fly according to your preferences, but in either case, the smarts are back on the PC.

This has its disadvantages (most notably, you can't really rebuild playlists using the remote while playing), but it has some big advantages (most notably, you get all the smarts of the PC and all its software and that software's fast development cycles on your side).

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmets is offline Old Post 07-07-2003 08:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmets Find more posts by dmets Add dmets to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmets

get free trial of Jriver Media Center. Then spend some time with it... You'll register it. Taking the smarts is back at the pc analogy one step further - Jriver is pretty darn smart--- HMO would not be bearable without it....

Dustin

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

millertivo is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 09:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for millertivo Find more posts by millertivo Add millertivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
millertivo

quote:
Originally posted by Succorso
I just downloaded j river to start ripping my cd's to my hard drive. Are you using j river in conjunction with tivo ?

Succoso

I think that is a good idea. I have had a pleasant experience. The program got me started organizing and tagging and now I want look back. There are other programs that can help you organize your collection and they may even be better at that then Media Cener. But I was attracted to the Tivo Option. There are lot of feature on Media Center then you will slowly figure out. If you read their forums, it can be a little intimidating becuase most there are true audiophiles with highly organized questions. I read the forums, but never come across anything that affect me. So I leave it to those people to push J. River. And you will also find that J.River's development process is very democratic.

I would assume Media Center questions relating to Tivo would be appropriate here. But if was exclusively a Media Center quiestio it should go in their forum. Good luck. Smartlists are my favorite feature.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged