TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
>>> "Watched" Flag for Multiple users.. <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Old Post 07-19-2000 09:46 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StevenPremeau

Lightbulb "Watched" Flag for Multiple users..

I know that there is feature bloat.. but this doesn't have to make it into the software until version 4

My roommate and I barely pass each other -- I work 1st, they work 3rd. We spend alot of time (and waste a lot of space) holding on to shows until we can check with the other person to see if they've watched it.

I think it would be a neat feature to have the TiVo have a list of "names" of the people who watch shows -- season passes would enough to satisify me -- so that we can "check off" whether we have finished with a show or not. An upgrade to this feature would allow you to customize the list for each season pass.

It would probally be overkill to apply this to normal recordings -- as you would spend more time setting up this feature that you would save by using it.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

NateO is offline Old Post 07-19-2000 08:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for NateO Find more posts by NateO Add NateO to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NateO

Talking

Great suggestion.
Awhile back, someone said that after they watched a show, they marked it "Save until I delete" and that told the other TiVo watcher in the house that that show is deletable after they watch it. I use this method; maybe it'll work for you.

Nate O

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-19-2000 09:00 PM
minesh1

Talking

I love this idea - my wife & I also never know if a certain show's been watched or not. The only problem with using "Save until I delete" is TIVO usually wants to delete a lot of other shows early to make room for the SUID program.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jasonl99 is offline Old Post 07-19-2000 09:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jasonl99 Find more posts by jasonl99 Add jasonl99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jasonl99
Now New and Improved

Talking

This fits in with the idea of individual user profiles that TiVo will likely move to in the future.

One of the big benefits to TiVo with an idea like this is that they can then have an opt-in program for audience measuring similar to AC Neilsen - but unlike Neilsen, it would remain anonymous. Maybe they make the "user profile" feature available to those who choose to opt-in?

Disclaimer: This is completely, 100% pure speculation on my part.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mschwab is offline Old Post 07-19-2000 10:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mschwab Visit mschwab's homepage! Find more posts by mschwab Add mschwab to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mschwab

Cool

quote:
Originally posted by minesh1:
The only problem with using "Save until I delete" is TIVO usually wants to delete a lot of other shows early to make room for the SUID program.

It doesn't actually delete them any sooner, it just sets the expiration date earlier. See item C9 in the FAQ: http://www.tivofaq.com/HotTopics.html#Earlier

Getting the massive list of "may be deleted sooner" shows is annoying and alarming, but it doesn't really hurt anything!

------------------
-- Colonel Michael, TiVo Army - TiVo Help Center AVSForum Moderator
FAQ Editor: http://www.tivofaq.com/

[This message has been edited by mschwab (edited 08-29-2000).]

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-20-2000 04:00 AM
Dr. Zed

Cool

quote:
Originally posted by mschwab:
It doesn't actually delete them any sooner, it just sets the expiration date earlier. See item C9 in the FAQ: http://www.avscience.com/users/tivo...cs.html#Earlier

Getting the massive list of "may be deleted sooner" shows is annoying and alarming, but it doesn't really hurt anything!

Well... in this instance, they are not freely deleting things after they are watched, so, unless other stuff gets deleted, the "may be deleted sooner" actually will be deleted sooner.

Also, if anyone is interested, there was a rather detailed thread regarding a multi-user interface:

Multi user issues

------------------
"It's like living in the future."

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 07-20-2000 04:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

Talking

Building on this idea, I would like the TiVo to delete shows I've watched before shows I haven't.

Dan

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-20-2000 05:16 AM
Dr. Zed

Cool

quote:
Originally posted by Dan203:
Building on this idea, I would like the TiVo to delete shows I've watched before shows I haven't.

Dan

I think that would be best accomplished by keeping all 'deleted' shows in now showing, but have them be the first to be deleted. If it did this, and you wanted 'shows you have watched' to be deleted before others, you could simply 'delete' them, and still be able to access them up until the time they are actually needed.

Prioritizing when things get deleted.

------------------
"It's like living in the future."

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged