TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Do you need HMO in order to use wireless network? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bpollard is offline Old Post 07-09-2003 10:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bpollard Find more posts by bpollard Add bpollard to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bpollard

Do you need HMO in order to use wireless network?

The subject pretty much says it all. But I can't find this information on Tivo's site:
Do I need to order HMO in order to use the wireless or Ethernet connection (instead of phoneline) for Tivo to connect to the service only.
let me know!
thanks.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

adunnigan is offline Old Post 07-09-2003 10:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for adunnigan Find more posts by adunnigan Add adunnigan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adunnigan

No, you do not need HMO to use your ethernet connection for downloading schedule information.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bpollard is offline Old Post 07-09-2003 11:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bpollard Find more posts by bpollard Add bpollard to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bpollard

OK - so if you don't need it (and the party doesn't have a router), can you just connect the tivo and download information automatically (when the laptop isn't hooked up?). If so, what is the maximum time a Tivo can be left 'disconnected'?
thanks so much!

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 07-09-2003 08:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by bpollard
OK - so if you don't need it (and the party doesn't have a router), can you just connect the tivo and download information automatically (when the laptop isn't hooked up?). If so, what is the maximum time a Tivo can be left 'disconnected'?
thanks so much!

It really depends on how far in the future you want the guide data to go. The TiVo normally keeps about two weeks of guide data. If you disconnect it, the guide data will eventually run out. Look in the System Information screen to see the date up to which the guide data goes.

Another point to consider is that the internal clock in the TiVo can "drift". Without making a regular call to set the clock, the "drift" may become significant (and then again it might not).

At the most, you should allow the TiVo to connect at least every two weeks and more frequently if possible.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

millertivo is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 09:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for millertivo Find more posts by millertivo Add millertivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
millertivo

Tivo would be a lot less usual to me if it didn't have the guide date alway 10 days out. One probably you encounter sometime - a show that is 10 days out might have generic guide date so Tivo thinks it is a first run episdoe (when it is actually a rerun) and has it in the To Do List. But when the guide date is refresed in a day or two, the show now has the right guide date and it is remoeved from the TO Do LIst (assuming you only recording first run episodes). I guess the point is: If you update ever 2 weeks, you might be stuck with some bad guide date at the beginning of your update that won't ever get fixed .

It sounds to me like the only piece of equipment that you are missing now is wired router. You are running from Tivo USB convert to ethernet cable straigt to your dsl/cable modem. If that is the case, I would look for wired router. They are very cheap now. Way more chepar that their fancy wireless cousins.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged