TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Please offer HMO between homes <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MediaLivingRoom is offline Old Post 07-09-2003 10:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MediaLivingRoom Visit MediaLivingRoom's homepage! Find more posts by MediaLivingRoom Add MediaLivingRoom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

Cool Please offer HMO between homes

I wish they would let us transfer between homes, when they start offering DVD-RW/TiVo.

IMO i think i would make back-ups just the same as transfering. If one could transferm then others will buy TiVos too.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mbcook is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 12:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mbcook Find more posts by mbcook Add mbcook to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mbcook
Nice Guy

Theoretially it should work. As long as the boxes are all registered under the same name, I don't know why it wouldn't. You might have to tell TiVo they are at the same house when they're not, but it "should" work.

If you mean "why can't my friend watch things I have recorded" I don't blame them for not doing that. That could end up it a seriously grey area.

And as for my suggestion above, while it "should" work, it won't. Why? I doubt you'd be able to get enough bandwidth to send stuff reliably. To do that you'd need to either have FANTASTIC broadband on both ends, both have T1s (or better) or have something like a point to point laser lan link (yes, they exist, my school had one for some reason).

But if you just have two houses and you want tivo at both, why not just carry the TiVo box between them and save yourself the headache?

TiVos:

Phillips DVR-7000 - 35 hours - Stock
Huges SD-DVR80 - 70 hours - Stock

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rsnaider is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 04:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rsnaider Find more posts by rsnaider Add rsnaider to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rsnaider
TiVo Forum Special Member

Not going to happen. This is one of the issues that put Replay into bankruptcy, and into the hands of a new owner.

TiVo does not want to upset it's clients (the broadcasters) by introducing something that could allow person A with HBO to transfer those shows to person B without HBO.

Your DVD scenario requires some active work on the part of physically bringing or shipping the DVD to the other house. The electronic equivelant is mindless and therefore too easy for TiVo to fall into the same legal issues that Replay never quite got out of.

Just my 2 cents,

TiVo | SERlES2 - 302 Hrs
TiVo | SONY SVR3000 - 273 Hrs

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drdreric is offline Old Post 07-11-2003 03:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for drdreric Find more posts by drdreric Add drdreric to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drdreric

Exclamation Subnet has to match

quote:
Originally posted by mbcook
Theoretially it should work. As long as the boxes are all registered under the same name

They have to be on the same subnet for multiroom sharing. If you have a cable/DSL router with firewall features, that will NOT be true between houses. If you don't have a firewall fro your home LAN.. YOU SHOULD!! ;-)

As to bandwidth.. I don't know how much you need for the various recording qualities (I am looking for a good thread on that as I write this)

Now.... if you had a VPN established between two locations.. AND the TiVos were on the same account AND you had the bandwidth.... then I think it might work.

And no, this shouldn't be forbidden.. when the family is at the vacation house with just one TiVo why shouldn't the kids be able to get their cartoon off of a TiVo back home? One very important use of Multi-Room Viewing is letting SA TiVo owners record two shows at once and see them on one TiVo.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged