TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Extreme Airport Hell, HMO Not working! <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
iDriveX is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 11:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iDriveX Visit iDriveX's homepage! Find more posts by iDriveX Add iDriveX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iDriveX
Neo-Trek Lover

Extreme Airport Hell, HMO Not working!

Wow, so this might be lengthy but I have tried everything so I'm gonna detail everything I have done.

Setup:
12" PowerBook with Airport Extreme Card
Sony SVR-3000 TiVo unit with Linksys WUSB11 ver. 2.6 USB Wireless Adapter
(2) Airport Extreme Base Stations with WDS implemented
Verizon DSL with DSL modem

Problem (Quick Version):
-Even though I have acquire IP address via DHCP on the TiVo and the 12" PowerBook, and Distribute IP Addresses on the base stations, the PowerBook and the TiVo are acquiring IP Address from Verizon in the range of 4.1.x.x and 4.2.x.x. There seems to be no way to keep an internal network in the range of 10.0.1.x for the clients.

How we got here:
-Everything was working fine and then I updated to Airport Firmware 5.1.
- Afterwards any time I tried to play music on my TiVo using the Home Media Option there was a tremendous lag (later to find out because the subnet was actually verizon proper instead of the Airport and the lag doesn't allow for streaming of songs)
- Checking the TiVo and the PowerBook I find IP addresses of 4.1.x.x and 4.2.x.x respectively.
- I reset the base stations and checked the configurations but all remained the same:

Main Base Station Settings:
Network Name: Airport Extreme
Channel: 5
Mode: 802.11b Only (for the TiVo's use)
Distribute WDS
Connect Via: Ethernet
Obtain IP Address via: DHCP
Share a single IP Address: Checked (because I only have one IP Address from Verizon...supposedly)

Secondary Base Station Settings:
Network Name: Airport Extreme
Channel: 5
Mode: 802.11b (Only for the TiVo's Use)
Connect via: WDS
Share a Single IP Address: Checked

I have tried to manually configure the TiVo and the 12" PowerBook by entering in the settings on the clients as:

IP Address: Configure Manually
Router: 10.0.1.1
IP Address: 10.0.1.x (where x is 2-5)
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

When I configure manually I loose all internet connections BUT the TiVo and the 12" PowerBook communicate to each other flawlessly. When I switch it back to obtaining via DHCP, the IP Address changes back to the Verizon ones (which are always different after a refresh). I get internet back immediately but loose connectivity between clients.

I have also downgraded the Base Stations back to 5.0.4 and it hasn't helped anything at all. Any ideas on what I can do to get my Local Area Network back and retain internet connectivity?

AirPort Express

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 09:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

I think you should change your Airport to "Share a range of IP addresses (using only DHCP) and then put in a range of IP addresses like beginning - 10.0.1.2 and ending 10.0.1.20. I have my DHCP lease time set to 365 days (not sure if that's good or bad).

Yes, you only have a single IP address from Verizon but that's not what this section is for. (I have a single IP address from my provider as well)

Note that you can still use a static IP address of 10.0.1.xxx (where the xxx is a value outside of the DHCP range on the base station)

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MediaLivingRoom is offline Old Post 07-11-2003 01:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MediaLivingRoom Visit MediaLivingRoom's homepage! Find more posts by MediaLivingRoom Add MediaLivingRoom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=121614

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iDriveX is offline Old Post 07-11-2003 07:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iDriveX Visit iDriveX's homepage! Find more posts by iDriveX Add iDriveX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iDriveX
Neo-Trek Lover

quote:
Originally posted by MediaLivingRoom
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=121614

What's with the link? It has nothing to do with the topic....btw still working on the problem...

In the PowerBook I tried these settings:

Manul Configuration:

IP Address: 10.0.1.3
Router: 10.0.1.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
DNS: 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2

No go on the internet at all

and I tried it so that my DNS was 10.0.1.1 and it didn't work either. I am going to attempt to do a hard reset on both base stations and rework my network from scratch tonight.

AirPort Express

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iDriveX is offline Old Post 07-11-2003 09:13 AM
iDriveX
Neo-Trek Lover

Ya know what worked? A Paperclip to the hard reset port!

Then I rebuilt the network from scratch, uploaded the 5.1 Firmware Update as prompt. And the only thing I did differently this time was entering in the Verizon DNS's of 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 and turning off the distribution of IP Addresses on the remote base station. AND IT WORKS!

Main Base Station (Router): 10.0.1.1
12" PowerBook: 10.0.1.2
Compaq PC (Hard Wired): 10.0.1.3
Remote Base Station (WDS Repeater): 10.0.1.4
Sony SVR-3000 (TiVo): 10.0.1.5

All on the same subnet. Sharing of music from the PowerBook to the TiVo is flawless AND I used to always have to connect my PowerBook to the Airport Base Station via Ethernet to do any work via the Airport Admin Utility because I would always get a "Configuration Error" any time I tried to configure it wirelessly but NO MORE! I can configure both base stations wirelessly via the Airport Admin and the whole thing just works about 200% better now!

Lesson: If at first you don't succeed, unstretch a paperclip.

AirPort Express

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 07-11-2003 09:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

Good news. By the way, I see that you're using WDS. Does it work well?

(for those who are unfamiliar with Apple's WDS -- it's a way to have several base stations with no wired connection between them -- essentially extending your wireless network's coverage area)

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iDriveX is offline Old Post 07-11-2003 10:00 AM
iDriveX
Neo-Trek Lover

Yes it works EXTREMELY well. I have a three bedroom, two floor home with a moderately sized backyard. With both base stations at opposite ends of the house and only one connected to the DSL I have 5 Airport Reception bars (Airport Menu Extra) throughout the ENTIRE house and 4 outside around the perimeter of the house everywhere. It was a really great investment. Plus it allows for some really serious expansion when it comes to putting in other wirelessly connected devices. Other TiVo's can be put anywhere in the entire home and I know they will have 85-95% Strength. Pocket PC's, Other laptops, other desktops, everything will plug, figuratively speaking, right into the network without having to worry about anything. It's a nice feeling to have great coverage through the entire house.

AirPort Express

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged