TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> HMO server Q's <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Edv is offline Old Post 07-12-2003 01:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Edv Find more posts by Edv Add Edv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Edv

HMO server Q's

I was just wondering; If I keep the desktop software running; is my PC open to anyone? Can Tivo see which directories of photos I've published? and last question is : what if I only run the "server" software when I wish to view my photos, will the remote scheduling still work?

Thanks!
Very confused!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 07-12-2003 02:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

Re: HMO server Q's

quote:
Originally posted by Edv
I was just wondering; If I keep the desktop software running; is my PC open to anyone?

The desktop software is essentially a web server, and there is no password protection. If your machine is visible to the wide network (which depends on your network configuration) then anyone who knows the port number the TiVo server runs on could browse and download your pictures or songs. I don't know what your network configuration is, so I can't really answer your question.

If you have a NAT (network address translation) router connected to a cable or DSL modem, such as the recommended Linksys, then odds are good that unless you've specifically enabled some of the extra settings on the router, only machines on your LAN and not the wider internet could see the server.

quote:
Can Tivo see which directories of photos I've published?

TiVo, Inc.? I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think so (no more than anyone else, anyway.) The names of the songs or photos might end up in log files somewhere but so far as I'm aware that's not the case (at least, not in the logs I've looked in.)

quote:
what if I only run the "server" software when I wish to view my photos, will the remote scheduling still work?

Sure will. The remote scheuduling stuff doesn't require your PC, just a connection to the network (which needs to be broadband to really be useful. It will work over the phone, but will only check for updates every 24 hours or so instead of a few times an hour.)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Edv is offline Old Post 07-12-2003 05:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Edv Find more posts by Edv Add Edv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Edv

Great !

Thanks for the response!

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged