TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> High Definition W/TiVo <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Kindred is offline Old Post 07-12-2003 03:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kindred Find more posts by Kindred Add Kindred to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kindred

High Definition W/TiVo

Anyone using HD tv with a TiVo, not recording it, just have the setup. Anything unusual? I am having sound sync problems, was just wondering if anyone else was having this kind of problem?

Jack

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 07-12-2003 07:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

I have a HDTV hooked up to the TiVo. If you're having sound sync issues it could be that the audio isn't going through the TiVo. You see, the TiVo is always recording and there's a built in 5-10 second delay. If the video is going through the TiVo and the sound is not (or vice versa), the two aren't going to line up.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kindred is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 11:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kindred Find more posts by Kindred Add Kindred to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kindred

I don't have the HDTV connected to the TiVo, since there are three video connections required, so I'm sure that's the problem. The new cable box has HDTV outputs (video) and composit video plus L and R stereo connections. The bottom line is I don't have any video to go with the HDTV that will run through the TiVo box, or how would I connect the three video leads to the TiVo? There is only L+R sound, that's not a problem, but video is a problem. Any other suggestions would be great!

Jack

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kindred is offline Old Post 07-15-2003 12:08 AM
Kindred

I forgot to add that I currently have the audio and composite video to the TiVo (for normal TiVo stuff), but the audio also is split to go to the audio amplifier directly, so when I watch HDTV I get the audio directly from the cable box and it is synchronized ok with the video from the box going directly to the TV. Since there are only 6 HDTV channels to worry about. Even the Tech they sent out didn't know how to handle the problem and ended up cutting all of my peripheral off! No games or regular TV!!!

Thanks for all the help you are going to give me!!

Jack

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 07-15-2003 01:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

The three video leads to which you refer coming out of your HD cable box are called "component video". You can't use those with the TiVo which can only accept either composite video or s-video.

Does the HD cable box have either composite video (it's a single yellow connector) or s-video outputs? How many sets of inputs does your television have? (the HDTV I have has six sets -- two component, three composite/s-video, and one DVI). I use the component jacks for the XBOX and DVD and the composite/s-video for the TiVo.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

markp99 is offline Old Post 07-15-2003 01:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for markp99 Find more posts by markp99 Add markp99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markp99
TakoKichi

I am presently using TiVo with an HD Cable Box (MOT DCT-5100). I do have a few interesting observations:

1. My TV has 7 inputs: (2) Component, (2) Composite/SVid, (1) DVI, (2) RF
2. DCT-5100 feeds simultaneous video outputs (HD and downconverted SD)
3. CableBox(HD) > TV-In#1 (via component cable)
4. CablbeBox(SD) > TiVo-In (via SVideo cable) > TV-In#2 (SVideo)
5. DVD > TV-In#3 (via DVI cable)
6. PS-2 > TV-In#4 (via Component cable)
7. I feed HD audio to TV via SPDIF cable
8. I feed SD audio to TiVo via RCA cable

So, I can record HD Channels on TiVo (albeit SD downconverted). Picture Quality thru TV is outstanding.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kindred is offline Old Post 07-15-2003 03:22 AM
Kindred

bedelman; I have 4 sets of audio/video RCA jacks, 1 output, three inputs, labeled, V, L, R, and two sets of audio labeled L and R. They refer to the inputs as 'componet 1, componet 2' and so on... The Cable box has only 1 set of each: audio, L and R, along with composite video and the three connectors for HDTV

I have sucess when I plug the three connections into the TV and the audio into the amplifier directly. It fails if I try to pick up the audio from the HDTV signal (audio) after it passes through the TiVo. I guess this is to be expected, as it is passes through another componet...

The cable company man connected the TV/cable box directly to the TV, bypassing the amplifier switching and of course making the other componets non-accessesable! I no longer had my Xbox, PS2 or Game Cube! Don't think I should have to pay for that!!! Found that I have the CD input free so I use it for audio from the cable box.

I have everything working, but I have to switch to "CD" when I am watching HDTV as I am feeding the signal through the amplifier to get the sound synced. Doesn't sound right when I write it out, but it works! Oh Well!!!
Feedback on my solution is always welcome and accepted, please speak out!.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as to what may make a better solution, but it is functional now and you know what they say, "if it works don't f*&k with it"!!!

Thanks for reading this mess and for any thoughts...

Jack

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 07-15-2003 10:50 AM
bedelman
Call me Bob

Does your television have any audio outputs? If it does, you might be able to feed those into your sound system instead (and let the television do the switching of the inputs).

I didn't mention the COAX input on mine (does anyone use those anymore).

Here's what the backplane of my unit looks like...

backplane photo

There's another set of composite video/s-video connections on the front.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kindred is offline Old Post 07-17-2003 09:18 AM
Kindred

bedelman

Mine also has outputs, 1 video (composite) and L + R. And 3 sets of HDTV compatable inputs, one set on the side that will accept s-video, composit and L + R. I believe there are two componet inputs that are HDTV compatable. If I did let the TV do all the switching, I would be out a whole bunch of stuff, like my video games, laser disk, CD, ect. Really I havn't seen that much on HDTV that I have wished to watch. I do enjoy my motor sports, but I'm not really sure they are transmitted in HDTV or not!!! Mine also has the infamous RF input! Doubt I'll ever use that, anyway, ha ha...
Thanks for the photo, it helps..

Jack

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

njbongo is offline Old Post 07-18-2003 02:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for njbongo Find more posts by njbongo Add njbongo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
njbongo

I have a Scientific Atlanta 4200HD cable box. This box sends out the 5 HDTV signals through the component, composite, RF and Svideo outputs all at the same time (only componoent is true HDTV of course). I have the Svideo and RCA sound outputs going to the Tivo and the HDTV channels look WAY better on the Tivo, though not true HDTV.

I can record all HD channels, though I have to do it manually since Tivo doens't list them in the program guide. I also have the component and digital audio going to the reveiver so I can watch the full HD signal and dolby digital RATHER than the Tivo.

It was all a bit confusing at first, but now that I'm used to it it works quite well.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

adunnigan is offline Old Post 07-20-2003 10:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for adunnigan Find more posts by adunnigan Add adunnigan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adunnigan

Huh?? How are you recording HD on your Tivo?? I have a SA 3100HD box, with component directly to the TV and RCA to Tivo--when I turn to the HD channels thru Tivo all I get is black--I was under the impression that Tivo cannot process this signal. Am I wrong?

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

azboiler is offline Old Post 07-22-2003 01:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for azboiler Find more posts by azboiler Add azboiler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
azboiler

no, you are correct. To get back and forth from hd and sd, I have to use the action button on my remote to get hd to work. I can't even view live tv through my tivo unless i have it set in sd mode. My setup includes a mits 65" diamond with a mits hd directv box, a denon 3802 receiver, a vcr, a progressive scan dvd player, and a standalone series2tivo. It was a neat trick to incorporate my tivo into the picture, but switching the whole setup back into high definition mode is kind of an inconvenience for me and complete swahili for my wife(forget it). The setup is so complicated my pronto remote is getting confused!!!!

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

markp99 is offline Old Post 07-22-2003 01:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for markp99 Find more posts by markp99 Add markp99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markp99
TakoKichi

On my MOT-5100 cable box, I get SD and HD signal active at same time; no switching needed. HD channels are SD-downconverted on SD output.

1. HD signal directly to TV via Component cable
2. SD Signal to TiVo via SVideo

There is only ONE audio out (RCA*), so I needed to split using (2) of these, one for L & R audio channels:

Now, I only need to select TV Input source to watch HD or SD. TiVo records the SD-downconvert just fine...

(* - I have connected SPDIF audio_out from cable box to my Home Theater receiver for excellent audio on HD braoadcast... )

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pwsteele is offline Old Post 07-26-2003 12:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pwsteele Find more posts by pwsteele Add pwsteele to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pwsteele

quote:
[i]So, I can record HD Channels on TiVo (albeit SD downconverted). Picture Quality thru TV is outstanding. [/B]

I was thinking about getting Comcast HD but many threads here indicated that I wouldn't be able to record the HD signals on my TiVo. I'd be happy though if I could record even the SD downgraded signals since I'm sure they'd be better quality than regular cable stations. Can you explain a little more how this is set up with TiVo? Is it a huge hack or does it integrate seemlessly with the TiVo box?

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kindred is offline Old Post 07-26-2003 11:27 AM
Kindred

PwSteele...

It doesn't intergrate seemlessly with my TiVo box (Series 2). I should explain, since they (the cable company said it would! Basically what they did was give me a box (looks identical from the front and the back only has three extra outputs (component video.)

I plugged the composite video plus the L + R into my TiVo just like I had it before the change over and connected the component video to the three associated component video to the HD TV inputs. All is well or so I thought, what actually happened was that when I tune one of the HDTV stations, the composite video goes black, still get sound (but you get sound anyway from the stereo outputs!) I have my sound connected to my large stereo system. I have to add the six channels of HDTV to my TiVo list, since that is the major control for the tv setup, unfortunately the TiVo doesn't know I can't record HDTV so it attempts to record these now and then and I get sound, but a black screen.

I would like some input from some of the other people that have had success in recording the lower quality HDTV shows like "markp99" who it appears have had success with his HDTV and cable box with lower quality video.

I do like the HDTV and intend on keeping it. I like to watch Nascar when it is on ABC or NBC or whatever, so I do use it when it is on one of the channels that I watch for sports (usually motor racing), so count me in on keeping it, but I doubt I would cough up the money for an HDTV TiVo, especially if they come out costing in the price range that I have seen estimated (800-1000 bucks). Don't remember where I saw the information but it was a trusted source.

The bottom line is:

1) No video out of the composite when I am watching an HDTV channel on the decoder box, so no TiVo. Would have to go to one of the alternate number channels to get it with NTSC.

2) Have to switch with the remote that came with the TV, since only it has the 'componet' buttons.

3) Only six stations for six bucks, could get ESPN and Discovery for an extra 8.95 a month (this is too much!)

4) The picture is good, but not a great as I have been lead to believe and I have a 480 'p' HDTV, so I have the right equipment for the reasonable price range (about $!,000).

Good luck in your decision!

Jack

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kindred is offline Old Post 07-28-2003 04:22 AM
Kindred

azboiler..

After percolation on your setup, I was wondering if you could run the two systems in some sort of parallel mode, if you know what I mean??? You have almost a complete mode of both types; with a few parts I think you may have a way to make a path that is HD and a path that is SD. It looks like (like I can really tell!!!) you make and HD and a SD and put the TiVo at the end and just switch it between them. From what I can tell you really arn't running HD (like 480P) or are you?, If you are comming up with a HD signal at the end, how do you end up with the SD signal?, From the Denon??

Keep in touch..

Jack

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged