TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Multi Room Viewing. HELP <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
talljoe is offline Old Post 07-12-2003 06:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for talljoe Find more posts by talljoe Add talljoe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
talljoe

Question Multi Room Viewing. HELP

I just added the HMO, With the deal they have now. I was wondering if anyone was able to use the watch from another Tivo function in real time. I have my network set up wireless. The way Tivo transfers a program from one unit to the other you have to start the transfer 10 to 20 minuets before you can watch the show from the other room with out getting long stop for the transfer to catch up. Could this be a problem with the wireless network transfer rate? Would a cat 5-wired network transfer at a rate to be able to watch in real time? Love the idea on multi room viewing, But the slow transfer makes it a big bummer.
The way they sell it is if you started to watch a program on one Tivo you can finish it on another. That is not possible with the way the Tivo has to transfer the whole show before you can watch it at all. Thanks in advance if any of you guys have any ideas for me?
Joe

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 07-12-2003 07:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

With wireless most have found that Medium quality transfers close to real time. With a wired connection, Best quality transfers close to real time.

I've found that you can get a boost over wireless to wireless connections by putting one TiVo on a wired connection -- where it's not practical to hard wire both of them.

Also, I've heard that peer-to-peer transfers are faster than when a router or WAP is involved (because with a router or WAP the signal first goes to it and it sends it out again). However, peer-to-peer isn't practical when you want to have Internet connectivity.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

talljoe is offline Old Post 07-13-2003 02:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for talljoe Find more posts by talljoe Add talljoe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
talljoe

Thanks.

Thanks for the ideas. I did change the set up to pier to pier and the Tivo will play in real time. I guess I will have to figure out a way to hard wire the Tivo's in the home network to take advantage of all the features HMO has to offer. To bad the Tivo can not run a pier to pier for movie transfers and still see the home wireless network for updates from Tivo's home. Maybe the next software update? Has to be a problem alot of folks are going to run into. Thanks again. Joe

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

d_anders is offline Old Post 07-13-2003 04:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for d_anders Find more posts by d_anders Add d_anders to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
d_anders

Re: Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by talljoe
Thanks for the ideas. I did change the set up to pier to pier and the Tivo will play in real time. I guess I will have to figure out a way to hard wire the Tivo's in the home network to take advantage of all the features HMO has to offer. To bad the Tivo can not run a pier to pier for movie transfers and still see the home wireless network for updates from Tivo's home. Maybe the next software update? Has to be a problem alot of folks are going to run into. Thanks again. Joe

Wireless works just fine, but your signal strength has to be pretty strong on each end. My network is part wired and part wireless, one TiVo on each. If the signal strength is greater than 70% it works fine in my setup, any lower and I have to wait (on medium quality).

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Crrink is offline Old Post 07-13-2003 11:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crrink Find more posts by Crrink Add Crrink to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crrink
TiVo Forum Special Member

I too just got HMO, and have both TiVo's wireless.
I get between 70 and 80% signal on each, and record most stuff at high quality.
The show transfers are really slow. I haven't sat down and calculated it yet, but I think it taks about an hour and a half to transfer a one hour show on HQ.
So, I'll probably start recording more stuff on medium - as I've gotten used to the way TiVo looks, medium quality bugs me less than it did in the beginning.
We record all the really good shows on BOTH TiVo's anyway

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 07-13-2003 11:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

It's worthwhile to note that the TiVo screen is only showing signal strength and not signal quality. Things like interference from other 2.4GHz sources (Microwave ovens, cordless phones, video senders, etc.) can cause a drop in the quality of the signal but probably not its strength.

I had a situation where my transfers were going slower than I expected. I used a network analysis tool and discovered that I was getting a very high error rate. I did some significant tweaking and made things much better.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kindred is offline Old Post 07-13-2003 11:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kindred Find more posts by Kindred Add Kindred to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kindred

I have 2 S2 TiVo's with Cat 5 hardwired between all of my intranet (2 computers and an Xbox) and the transfer of shows is slower than watching them. I always end up watching something else until the show has transferred to the current TiVo, then watch it there. I believe it's the USB slowing it down, but thats just a guess. It seems that I remember that at times I could not see the data led's flashing when it was transfering, now it is flashing quite obviously, so....

My 2 cents...

Jack

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ourdoc is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 08:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ourdoc Find more posts by ourdoc Add ourdoc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ourdoc
Tivo Hawaiian Style

quote:
Originally posted by Kindred
I have 2 S2 TiVo's with Cat 5 hardwired between all of my intranet (2 computers and an Xbox) and the transfer of shows is slower than watching them. I always end up watching something else until the show has transferred to the current TiVo, then watch it there. I believe it's the USB slowing it down, but thats just a guess. It seems that I remember that at times I could not see the data led's flashing when it was transfering, now it is flashing quite obviously, so....

My 2 cents...

Jack

Are you recording in best mode? My 3 S2 TiVo's are hardwired, and a high quality recorded show transfers slightly faster than live. A 60 minute show will transfer in about 45 minutes.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

adamwsh is offline Old Post 07-25-2003 11:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for adamwsh Visit adamwsh's homepage! Find more posts by adamwsh Add adamwsh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adamwsh

quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
It's worthwhile to note that the TiVo screen is only showing signal strength and not signal quality. Things like interference from other 2.4GHz sources (Microwave ovens, cordless phones, video senders, etc.) can cause a drop in the quality of the signal but probably not its strength.

I had a situation where my transfers were going slower than I expected. I used a network analysis tool and discovered that I was getting a very high error rate. I did some significant tweaking and made things much better.

What kind of "tweaking" did you do?

If you share that info with us, perhaps we can benefit from your experience.

Thanks!

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Redleg is offline Old Post 07-26-2003 12:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Redleg Find more posts by Redleg Add Redleg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redleg
TiVo Forum Special Member

I too have very slow transfers - at medium, a one hour show takes at least 90 minutes to transfer. This with two wireless TiVos and excellent signal strength. My wife is very disappointed in HMO because of this... anything I can do to improve this feature will get me out of hot water for buying this, LOL.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

talljoe is offline Old Post 07-26-2003 01:02 AM
talljoe

I feel your pain.. hehehe. I am not all that happy with HMO as well. I did change my set up to pier to pier and can watch medium quality in real time. That make it better, but you can not use the fast forward feature unless you start the transfer early. The way they sell it is if you started to watch a program in one room you can finish it in another with HMO. With the current transfer rate that is not possible. I think Tivo is usb 1.0 with should handle a quicker transfer. Hopefull the powers that be will do something in a software upgrade soon to fix the current slow, slow transfer. Now that there will be cable tv companys offering set top cable boxes with hard drives Tivo has some catching up to do. Time Warner started offering them this month.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rickertk is offline Old Post 07-26-2003 01:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rickertk Find more posts by rickertk Add rickertk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rickertk
Not quite new Member

That's not USB 1.1, that's your wireless network. On a 100BaseT wired network, medium quality shows transfer fast enough for me that I can start watching immediately and fast forward through commercials except maybe when they occur in the first 2-3 minutes of the recording. Last night, a 30 minute medium quality program transferred in just under the time required to watch it, so maybe 20-21 minutes.

Keith

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged