TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> TiVo newbie HMO questions <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Broo is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 01:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Broo Visit Broo's homepage! Find more posts by Broo Add Broo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Broo

Question TiVo newbie HMO questions

Ok, I am not a TiVo user, but I am planning to purchase one in a few weeks. I am assuming that TiVo series 2 is the way to go...

From what I see, the big deal about series 2 is the USB connectivity, which will also allow network connetivity. On top of this, I can purcahse an HMO option...

For sending JPG and MP3 to a TiVo, I only need network connectivity, correct?

To allow channel lineup via a shared broadband connection, I will need the HMO option- otherwise I am limited to dial-up for this. In adddion, HMO will allow me to transfer recorded shows between multiple TiVos in my house.

Please correct me if I am in error about any of these statements- this is all new to me and I am learning.

Are there any other benefits for HMO?

TIA

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Hunter Green is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 02:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Hunter Green Visit Hunter Green's homepage! Find more posts by Hunter Green Add Hunter Green to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Re: TiVo newbie HMO questions

You've got things backwards. Every Series 2 can use network connectivity to get guide data over the Internet. HMO is not required. All you need is a supported USB network adapter (wired or wireless) and a network connection for it that links to the Internet.

However, you need the Home Media Option to view pictures and music (i.e., Media) on the TiVo. HMO also includes the ability to transfer between multiple TiVos in the same household (Multi-Room Viewing, aka MRV). These features require HMO and they also require the network connection.

HMO includes a fourth item, Remote Scheduling, but in theory it doesn't require a network connection. Still, I can't imagine anyone buying HMO without having a network connection for their TiVo.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Broo is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 02:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Broo Visit Broo's homepage! Find more posts by Broo Add Broo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Broo

Hunter,

Thanks for the correction- looks like i have interpeting things incorrectly.

If anyone would be so kind as to help me out some more, I have a few more questions that I would like to find some need help on..

[I think these are related to the HMO topics]

USBs...

I hear the TiVo Series 2 will support external [wireless] keboards [and mice?]- and USB network connectivity, obviously. What of USB hubs [if needed] and other USB devices such as CD-ROMs [to play MP3/Audio CDs] and/or HDs? Is there a page with a list of compatable USB products for TiVo Series 2?

Remote scheduling...

Does TiVo offer a web based scheduling feature such as ReplyTV's http://my.replaytv.com? It allows me to be able to search and schedule shows [provided I do so before the nighly dial-in has occured] and see what has been recorded on my box.

[Yes, i am a repaly user, but I think it may be time to move to a TiVo for my 2nd box as it appears that SonicBlue has filed bankruptcy... and TiVo is still going strong].

I also have seen mention of a 'TiVo Media Server PC'- Is this part of the HMO, or is this a hack?

Danke to all,

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pkscout is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 05:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pkscout Find more posts by pkscout Add pkscout to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pkscout
TiVo Forum Special Member

Currently, the only USB devices TiVo supports are network adapters (wired or wireless). No keyboards, mice, or other peripherals.

As for web scheduling, that's the remote scheduling that was mentioned in the previous post. This is part of the Home Media Option, so you will have to purchase HMO to get that functionality, but once you do, you can go to the TiVo web site to schedule a show to be recorded on your TiVo. I've never seen the Replay web stuff, but from what you describe, it sounds like th functionality is similar.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged