TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Using 2nd TiVo as a "slave" for HMO <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
gjustice is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 06:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gjustice Find more posts by gjustice Add gjustice to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gjustice

Question Using 2nd TiVo as a "slave" for HMO

First, if the answer is already here, I'm sorry, I couldn't find it.

I'm contemplating buying an additional Series 2 for the bedroom.

If I ONLY want to use it as a "slave" to the main TiVo in the den do I HAVE to purchase a subscription just to get HMO access on it?

I've read all the pages on tivo.com and can't tell for sure.

Thanks,

MAIN SYSTEM:
Hitachi 43FDX10B 43" Digital TV, Motorola HD/Comcast Digital cable, Phillips DVD, Sharp VCR, Tivo Series II - 300 hr w/Lifetime Sub and HMO (with its own Comcast box),
Farallon NetLINE USB 10/100 Ethernet Adapter, Comcast Cable Internet, Sony HT-DDW740 Home Theater System, Comcast Digital cable, All operated with a Sony RM-AV3000

BEDROOM SYSTEM:
Tivo Series II - 60 hr (Stock) w/Lifetime Sub and HMO, Comcast Digital cable, Linksys WUSB11 Ethernet Adapter

I can no longer make backup images available. Requests will be ignored, sorry!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

VinceA is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 06:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for VinceA Find more posts by VinceA Add VinceA to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VinceA
Advanced Member

Yes, both need subscriptions

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ScubaCat is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 07:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ScubaCat Find more posts by ScubaCat Add ScubaCat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ScubaCat

The good news is that if you already have one subscription to HMO, the second one is only $49. At least that was the deal when I signed up last week.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bidger is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 10:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bidger Find more posts by bidger Add bidger to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bidger
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by ScubaCat
The good news is that if you already have one subscription to HMO, the second one is only $49. At least that was the deal when I signed up last week.
I don't know how "good" that news is considering one would still be paying $13mo./$300 lifetime for the second unit. I'll pass.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AlaninAZ is offline Old Post 07-24-2003 03:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for AlaninAZ Find more posts by AlaninAZ Add AlaninAZ to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlaninAZ

What exactly do you mean by a "slave"?

...No concurrent second program recording on that machine (maybe no recording?) , no playback of a different program than on the primary machine?

If this is the case...? you just need remote access to the Tivo you already have. This means Audio & Video remote via a hard wired or wireless link & a remote IR repeater back to the Tivo units for control. I've done this with a fully hardwired solution and it works great. I also know of someone else with a hardwired A/V link & a wireless IR repeater.

Alan

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

perrystokes is offline Old Post 07-24-2003 02:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for perrystokes Find more posts by perrystokes Add perrystokes to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
perrystokes

I'm facing an issue like this.

I've had my Tivo series 2 for 2 months or so and love it. However, I'm hacked off about multiple shows that I like being on at the same time, so I can't record both. Morning runs of syndicated ER and The Practice being on at the same time are especially getting on my nerves.

My solution in mind is buying another Tivo series 2, get the HMO for both and another digital cablebox from Comcast, network them together just so I can watch two "conflicting" shows when I want.

This just seems excessive. As a test, I split the cable (analog, gah!) into my VCR so I could tape the conflicts on my VCR but after having the Tivo for a month, I found reverting back to videotape to be a major step back and found myself "not bothering" to watch the stuff, not to mention I could only feed the B side of the local (DFW/Comcast) cable so that "solution" only gave me 45 some-odd channels.

Am I asking too much? Has someone else done what I'm considering? Did you feel it was worth it enough not to miss the initial cash outlay and and monthly additional subscription?

Also, would my two Tivo's conflict with each others remote control? I've noticed a "DVR 1/2" switch on the remote, but it controls my only Tivo in either position so I'm suspecting it's worthless.

I don't even plan to put the Tivo in another room. I've only got 1 TV I bother watching.

Sorry for the ramble. Any advice would be greatly helpful.

-P

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gjustice is offline Old Post 07-24-2003 03:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gjustice Find more posts by gjustice Add gjustice to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gjustice

My second TiVo (off Ebay, arriving today) is for our bedroom. Primarily to watch stuff recorded on the "Main" TiVo in the den. Of course, it might be used to record overlapping shows too, but I don't need the Guide to do that.

Guess I'll bite the bullet and go ahead and subscribe it (probably month to month for now) and see how things go.

That whole "2 pipe" cable network is a pain in SO many ways. At least Radio Shack has a remote A/B switch. I put one on my parents' TV when my mom had hip replacement surgery a few months ago. (She likes A, He likes B!)

MAIN SYSTEM:
Hitachi 43FDX10B 43" Digital TV, Motorola HD/Comcast Digital cable, Phillips DVD, Sharp VCR, Tivo Series II - 300 hr w/Lifetime Sub and HMO (with its own Comcast box),
Farallon NetLINE USB 10/100 Ethernet Adapter, Comcast Cable Internet, Sony HT-DDW740 Home Theater System, Comcast Digital cable, All operated with a Sony RM-AV3000

BEDROOM SYSTEM:
Tivo Series II - 60 hr (Stock) w/Lifetime Sub and HMO, Comcast Digital cable, Linksys WUSB11 Ethernet Adapter

I can no longer make backup images available. Requests will be ignored, sorry!

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lpwcomp is offline Old Post 07-24-2003 04:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lpwcomp Find more posts by lpwcomp Add lpwcomp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lpwcomp

By default, the TiVo is set to respond to the remote when the switch is in either position. Instructions on how to set it to respond only when it is one position or the other should be in your manual.

TiVo 2 (42 Hrs)

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Zathrus is offline Old Post 07-24-2003 07:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zathrus Find more posts by Zathrus Add Zathrus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zathrus

We initially got our 2nd TiVo about 2.5 years ago to resolve a Buffy/70's Show conflict. Since then we've found innumerable other shows that conflict, and it's great that we don't have to decide which one to record. It's certainly been worth the money.

If you are going to use them in the same room, and have no use for HMO's features, then consider buying a small series1 box from eBay or an online retailer. You can get a S1 for as little as $100. Even a 14 hour S1 will probably be adequate for recording conflicts. And yes, you can make sure the TiVo only listens to the proper remote.

There's no reason you can't split the A side of the cable either... it's just a $2 splitter and a couple $3 RG-6/59 cables. Yes, A/B systems do suck -- and it's rather amazing that they still haven't upgraded that system (I used to live in Richardson, so I know what you speak of). But as long as you can feed the 2nd TiVo with the channels you need, it doesn't matter much.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Redleg is offline Old Post 07-24-2003 08:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Redleg Find more posts by Redleg Add Redleg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redleg
TiVo Forum Special Member

I can't find specifics on TiVo's website, but there is another offer running through July 31 where the $49 fee for the second TiVo will be refunded around August 15 (like the $40 refund for one HMO). This is what finally got me to sign up, but again I don't know the exact terms of eligibility -- maybe worth a call to customer service, though!

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged