TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Alternative to HMO <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Tivo_rookie is offline Old Post 07-16-2003 07:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tivo_rookie Find more posts by Tivo_rookie Add Tivo_rookie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tivo_rookie

Alternative to HMO

OK, I'm feedup with waiting for HMO on my HDVR2, DirecTV have really screwed this up.

What are my alternatives? I want to be able to have the mp3 jukebox function and being able to listen to internet radio would be a great.

Being able to show photos would be nice but not a key feature.

Any suggestions.

Rob

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dth21 is offline Old Post 07-17-2003 12:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dth21 Find more posts by dth21 Add dth21 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dth21

Re: Alternative to HMO

quote:
Originally posted by Tivo_rookie
OK, I'm feedup with waiting for HMO on my HDVR2, DirecTV have really screwed this up.

What are my alternatives? I want to be able to have the mp3 jukebox function and being able to listen to internet radio would be a great.

Being able to show photos would be nice but not a key feature.

Any suggestions.

Rob

You'll get 2 recommendations from people. Slim Devices' SliMP3 and Turtle Beach's Audiotron. Neither has photo capabilities but they'll both handle your music needs.

http://www.slimdevices.com/
http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/pro...producthome.asp

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chippyt is offline Old Post 07-17-2003 01:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for chippyt Find more posts by chippyt Add chippyt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chippyt

I haven't used any of these, but here are a few more options:

http://www.prismiq.com/
http://www.gateway.com/home/ce/dvd.shtml
http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/...rowse_link=true

Good Luck!

Please post your review if you decide to purchase one of these.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mdscott is offline Old Post 07-17-2003 01:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mdscott Visit mdscott's homepage! Find more posts by mdscott Add mdscott to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mdscott
TiVo Forum Special Member

LinkSys Wireles-B Media Server ??

mds

Mac G4 867 OS X 10.3.7

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tivo_rookie is offline Old Post 07-17-2003 04:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tivo_rookie Find more posts by Tivo_rookie Add Tivo_rookie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tivo_rookie

Alternatives

Thanks for the suggestions,

Looks like I have some research to do.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Zathrus is offline Old Post 07-17-2003 07:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zathrus Find more posts by Zathrus Add Zathrus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zathrus

You may want to venture over to www.avsforum.com and read the Home Media Player forum (or something like that... it's right below the home theater gaming forum nowadays). It's a pretty low volume forum, but some useful info in there.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dengel is offline Old Post 07-17-2003 08:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dengel Visit dengel's homepage! Find more posts by dengel Add dengel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dengel
Linux or Die!

A modded XBOX would do the job. You can even play your DIVX from your PC on your TV. XBMP does pictures, music, and video. There are other benefits to a modded XBOX, but they lie in the blured line or legality and decency.

d.
ps. You can get/do one of these for about $250

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

njbongo is offline Old Post 07-18-2003 02:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for njbongo Find more posts by njbongo Add njbongo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
njbongo

I have had the AudioTron for a few years now, and frankly can't reccomend it to anyone. The sound is fine, and the functionality great. My problem is the interface and remote control. In simple word, they suck. The only way I ever use mine is through the web interface on my laptop, much the same way you would control a router.

The web interface is awesome, but if your intention is to use the unit itself or the remote control - look elsewhere.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BarryD99 is offline Old Post 07-18-2003 02:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BarryD99 Find more posts by BarryD99 Add BarryD99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BarryD99

Buy a SA Tivo. $199 plus $99 for HMO. Don't buy the subscription.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

snazlord is offline Old Post 07-18-2003 08:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for snazlord Find more posts by snazlord Add snazlord to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
snazlord

SLIMP3

FWIW, I've had a SLIMP3 for several months now (just got TiVo yesterday) The SLIMP3 works very well - I am very impressed. You can access it via remote control or by webpage, make playlists on-the-fly, works great with a linksys WET11 so it wirelessly connects to all the MP3s on my computers hardrive, and the unit itself is tiny. Highly recommend it.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 07-18-2003 09:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by BarryD99
Buy a SA Tivo. $199 plus $99 for HMO. Don't buy the subscription.

Home Media Option requires an active TiVo service subscription.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dcharno is offline Old Post 07-20-2003 09:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dcharno Find more posts by dcharno Add dcharno to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dcharno

I also have Broadq Qcast tuner for the PS2.

http://www.broadq.com

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged