TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> How are recorded programs played on 2nd TiVo? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pwsteele is offline Old Post 07-24-2003 11:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pwsteele Find more posts by pwsteele Add pwsteele to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pwsteele

Question How are recorded programs played on 2nd TiVo?

Say I have two TiVos, one upstairs and one downstairs. I record some programs upstairs and some downstairs but I want to watch most of them downstairs. When I play a program that is recorded upstairs on my downstairs TiVo, does it still allow the standard controls (FF, rewind, pause, etc)? Or do I have to transfer it in its entirety first?

Peter

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mdscott is offline Old Post 07-25-2003 12:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mdscott Visit mdscott's homepage! Find more posts by mdscott Add mdscott to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mdscott
TiVo Forum Special Member

YOu transfer a copy of the program -- The source DVR appears in the Now Playing screen on the target TiVo. You select a program and then ask it to be transferred. You can queue multiple programs for transfer and transfers can occur while the TiVo's are recording programs from the normal video source (though I believe speed is affected).

You can watch a program while it is being transferred and all the Trick Play features are available.

mds

Mac G4 867 OS X 10.3.7

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pwsteele is offline Old Post 07-25-2003 12:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pwsteele Find more posts by pwsteele Add pwsteele to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pwsteele

How long does it take to transfer a typical, say, 60 minute, program?

This is really the main thing I'm interested in as far as HMO is concerned. Since I use digital cable, the lack of a dual tuner box means I have to have a second TiVo to record programs that are on at the same time.

I wonder if there will ever be a dual tuner combined cable/TiVo box like DIRECTV's combo box?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBji is offline Old Post 07-25-2003 12:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBji Visit TiVoBji's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBji Add TiVoBji to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBji

Please keep in mind that while all recording qualities may be watched and trickplayed while transferring, only medium and basic quality recordings will typically transfer fast enough to allow for sufficiently fast buffering that significant trickplay may be done.

High and best quality recordings usually transfer in real time or slower, and you would have to wait for enough of the transfer to occur (10 or 15 minutes, typically) before being able to fast forward beyond real time.

You can search these boards for lots of discussions regarding the typical transfer speeds that other MRV users are experiencing.

Thanks for asking, and best wishes!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pwsteele is offline Old Post 07-25-2003 01:02 AM
pwsteele

Recording at anything other than best quality isn't really an option with cable. The signal quality is already very poor and gets worse after it goes through TiVo. But, if HMO lets you watch while you transfer, even without fast forward, that's good enough.

Thanks.

Home entertainment network powered by Avcast
"I'm lovin' every minute of it!" --Cosmo Kramer

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Zathrus is offline Old Post 07-25-2003 07:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zathrus Find more posts by Zathrus Add Zathrus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zathrus

If your signal quality is that lousy you may want to look at your cables and splitters... don't split more than you need to, use RG-6 quad shield cable, and put end caps on any unused splits (RS has these, 2 for $2 - rather expensive, but doubt you'll need many).

If PQ is still crappy, then you may need a signal amplifier prior to splitting.

Not that this will give you pristine quality, but recording on "High" was good enough for me until I moved up to a 43" DLP. Now I use Best and am futzing around trying to get better PQ. And wishing I didn't have 70' trees obscuring the satellites.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pwsteele is offline Old Post 07-25-2003 08:04 PM
pwsteele

Not exactly easy to switch to RG-6. I'm using the existing cable that was in the house when I bought it. Don't know if it is RG-6 or something less capable (for those from the San Jose area, it's that old double A/B cable that used to be used in the area). Cable comes into the house at the front and my TV room is at the extreme opposite from this. Running new cable would not be easy. A signal amplifier should be possible. I'll have to investigate this option.

I'm investigating DIRECTV, but the lack of HMO makes this an imperfect solution as well.

Peter

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Zathrus is offline Old Post 07-26-2003 11:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zathrus Find more posts by Zathrus Add Zathrus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zathrus

The old cable is almost certainly RG-59. Unless you have digital cable (or sat), it's probably not the issue.

Of course, there ways of pulling cable through that aren't that hard... if you already have a cable there that you're willing to get rid of. Still probably overkill though. Check out the amp first... get it from some place you can return it though in case it's not the problem or makes matters worse (yes... worse. Too strong a signal can cause problems too... I've seen this myself! Roommate put in an amp when we moved in... TVs all took forever to change channels. Remove amp, suddenly the TVs are happy).

As far as DTV - I agree with you. They appear to be suffering severly from merger paralysis as they wait to be bought out. I still want to move to Sat, and still favor DirecTV, but I'd probably keep my SA units until they get off their behinds and offer HMO. Which stinks since the pure digital audio and video are very attractive to me.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 07-26-2003 09:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by pwsteele
Recording at anything other than best quality isn't really an option with cable. The signal quality is already very poor and gets worse after it goes through TiVo. But, if HMO lets you watch while you transfer, even without fast forward, that's good enough.

Thanks.

It largely depends on your signal source, cabling, size of your TV, etc. I have digital cable and I record everything at Medium quality and I've never noticed a difference in quality of recordings vs. straight cable.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged