TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Another HMO/MRV timing test <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pwsteele is offline Old Post 08-13-2003 11:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pwsteele Find more posts by pwsteele Add pwsteele to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pwsteele

Another HMO/MRV timing test

I just tried transferring a hour long program from my downstairs DVR to my upstairs DVR. It unfortunately took two hours and 45 minutes. I have a Linksys wireless network, and the program was recorded in Best Quality. I'd really be curious how much of an improvement I'd see in a wired network. Yeah, I know I could get better transfer times if I recorded in Medium Quality, but on my TV Medium Quality looks awful. Even High Quality isn't great, although I do use it occasionally.

Live TV, which essentially represents a Best Quality recording, isn't as good while being watched through TiVo as it is through a straight cable feed. I have the cable split so that one side goes into my VCR and from there into the S-video-1 input of my TV, and the other side goes into my TiVo and from there into the S-video-2 input of my TiVo. TiVo definitely degrades the signal for Live TV with this setup, at least that's the impression I get.

Overall, I really like HMO. It would be *so* much better though if recorded programs transferred faster.

Peter

Home entertainment network powered by Avcast
"I'm lovin' every minute of it!" --Cosmo Kramer

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Crrink is offline Old Post 08-13-2003 06:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crrink Find more posts by Crrink Add Crrink to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crrink
TiVo Forum Special Member

I'm curious about this too. I have done a search, as I imagine this topic has been covered before, but I couldn't find a relevant thread.
I currently have a wireless setup, and experience similar transfer times.
I'm not anxious to climb up into the attic and start stringing Cat 5, but if it will greatly help transfer times, I could be convinced.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 08-13-2003 07:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

It may be worth noting that if you can hard wire one of your TiVo units, you will get better MRV performance when you have a wireless access point/router on your network.

With both of my units wireless I can transfer a Basic quality program in about 65% to 80% of it's duration (30 minutes takes about 20-25 minutes). With one unit wired, the time is almost half as long.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Crrink is offline Old Post 08-13-2003 10:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crrink Find more posts by Crrink Add Crrink to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crrink

Good to know, unfortunately my office is about midway between the two TiVo's, so if I gotta climb in the attic for one, I may as well do both

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pwsteele is offline Old Post 08-14-2003 07:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pwsteele Find more posts by pwsteele Add pwsteele to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pwsteele

quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
It may be worth noting that if you can hard wire one of your TiVo units, you will get better MRV performance when you have a wireless access point/router on your network.

I just tried this experiment, running a wire from my router to my upstairs TiVo. In this case transferring an hour long program took only an hour and 35 minutes. Quite an improve from the 2:45 in my full wireless test. So that pretty much settles it. One way or another I'm going to get a full wired network in place. Glad I kept all the boxes and stuff for my WUSB11s adapters...

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bsoft is offline Old Post 08-14-2003 12:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bsoft Find more posts by bsoft Add bsoft to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsoft

Yeah, wired ethernet is still the way to go for speed.

Here are a few tips:

1: Run Cat5e, you'll be happy you did if you want to switch to gigabit ethernet later
2: Run more lines than you think you'll need. Lots more. Cat5e is cheap.
3: Consider running conduit, or at least running a couple of pull lines (basically any kind of strong string will do). You need more than one in case one line snags/breaks. Every time you pull a new cable, be sure to pull another line.
4: If you haven't already, run plenty of RG-6 as well. At least 3 per room (2 for a dual-tuner DirecTiVo, 1 for a DirecTV HD box). Even if you don't plan to switch to DirecTV anytime soon, you can still use it to send video or cable TV.
5: Avoid "brand name" switches. Generic ones are often just as good and much cheaper. Newegg.com has some very nice 10/100 8-port switches with auto MDI-X (no crossover cables needed) for around $20. Search for "Edimax".
6: Crimping cables is not for the feint of heart, especially if you have a cheap crimper. My recommendation: shop around online to find cheap patch cables ($3 for 6ft is reasonable) and make a patch panel. Of course, crimping is probably cheaper.

BSoftPlayer 3.3

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pwsteele is offline Old Post 08-14-2003 09:51 PM
pwsteele

Picking CAT5e of course is easy enough, but multiple lines and conduit are really only feasible when building a new home. I'm going to have to run lines under carpet and drill holes through walls just to get two wires in place for my TiVos. I'll be happy if I can get that much done...

Peter

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Crrink is offline Old Post 08-14-2003 10:57 PM
Crrink

bedelman, can I bug you with a few questions?
Would 802.11g offer enough throughput to make wireless effectively as fast as wired for MRV if both TiVo's were wireless and connected to a router? (when g becomes supported, of course.)

You mentioned in a previous thread that you used some network diagnostic tools to analyze your traffic and clean it up a lot. I think you're a Mac user, but do you know of any programs for Windows (preferably free ones) that would help a person who knows relatively little about networking (me!) do the same?

Thanks.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 08-15-2003 01:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by Crrink
bedelman, can I bug you with a few questions?
Would 802.11g offer enough throughput to make wireless effectively as fast as wired for MRV if both TiVo's were wireless and connected to a router? (when g becomes supported, of course.)

You mentioned in a previous thread that you used some network diagnostic tools to analyze your traffic and clean it up a lot. I think you're a Mac user, but do you know of any programs for Windows (preferably free ones) that would help a person who knows relatively little about networking (me!) do the same?

Thanks.

The product I used was named "intermapper" <http://www.intermapper.com> and they now have a Windows version available. With the Macintosh version there is a free fully functionaly limited time demo available -- the same may be true for the Windows version.

If I remember properly, 802.11g has a maximum throughput of 54 Mbps (versus 11 Mbps for 802.11b). This is roughly five times faster but I understand that 802.11g performance drops off quickly as signal strength drops (802.11b drops also but not as fast). In my opinion if you're looking for the best performance, you should go to a wired approach.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Crrink is offline Old Post 08-15-2003 05:05 AM
Crrink

Yeah, figured I'd have to climb into the attic sooner or later....
Thanks very much for the info., I'm going to check that program out now.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 08-15-2003 08:29 AM
bedelman
Call me Bob

By the way, it should be noted that when a wireless access point/router is involved and there are two or more wireless TiVo units that the maximum throughput on 802.11b or 802.11g is much lower. I'm not completely clear on this but it has to do with the situation where the signal is first received by the wireless access point/router and it then needs to be transmitted back out. I believe this results in a maximum throughput of 5.5Mbps and 22Mbps for 802.11b and 802.11g respectively.

This is also why having one TiVo wired and the other one wireless is better than having both wireless.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lasergecko is offline Old Post 08-17-2003 01:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lasergecko Find more posts by lasergecko Add lasergecko to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lasergecko

FYI, if you're going to do some major RJ-45 crimping (ethernet connectors), I can highly recommend the EZ RJ-45 series of products. The crimp tool is $50 and the connectors are 50 for $30, but you may be able to find them on Ebay cheaper. If not, split the cost with a friend or two. Eighty bucks is still pretty cheap compared to having a "pro" do the same job.

The EZ RJ-45 connectors are different because the wires pass through the end of the connector so there is absolutely no doubt about proper wire order or termination. Since we switched to them at work, termination errors have been virtually eliminated and I do a lot less screaming.

Check out http://www.iautomate.com/ezrj45.html for a visual.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged