TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> 802.11g Linksys <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ToddCNYC is offline Old Post 09-09-2003 07:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ToddCNYC Visit ToddCNYC's homepage! Find more posts by ToddCNYC Add ToddCNYC to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ToddCNYC

802.11g Linksys

I recently bought the Linksys 802.11g wireless router, a mobile adapter for my laptop, and the 802.11b USB adapter for Tivo.

After one very frustrating night of setup, i finally got it to work, with a catch...I had to DL the latest firmware update for the router which would allow it to run as "b" only

The kind, patient, Tivo rep on the other end of the Technical Service call explained that Tivo does not yet support a network connection to a 'mixed' (b & g) network, and it would only work on a "b only" network.

Does anyone have any idea when this might change? Do we think Tivo will ever update their firmware to support this?

Its kinda like running a G5 on OS9, if you take my meaning.

-Todd

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Want1394 is offline Old Post 09-09-2003 08:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Want1394 Find more posts by Want1394 Add Want1394 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Want1394
TiVo Forum Special Member

Your software in TiVo should be updated to 4.0.1 from 4.0 any day now, if not already. This allows the 11.b adapters to connect to routers in "mixed mode."

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 09-09-2003 08:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

The 4.01 software update that's in the process of being rolled out is supposed to help with this. There's a "priority list" which can be used to put your TiVo higher on the rollout.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...079#post1369079

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ToddCNYC is offline Old Post 09-09-2003 10:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ToddCNYC Visit ToddCNYC's homepage! Find more posts by ToddCNYC Add ToddCNYC to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ToddCNYC

thanks...i appreciate the info

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

scottkct is offline Old Post 09-12-2003 06:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for scottkct Find more posts by scottkct Add scottkct to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scottkct

Re: 802.11g Linksys

Linksys 54G will work fine if you use the proper adapter. The common linksys companion for Tivo is the WUSB11 Instant Wireless USB Network Adapter. This will not work on the Linksys G routers w/o software upgrade. You need the WUSB12 Wireless Compact USB Adapter. Once you plug this puppy in you will have no problem getting a signal in the status screen.

PM me if you have any questions. If you do a search for "WUSB12" (minus quotes) you will find numerous posts regarding this issue.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 09-12-2003 10:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

I've had problems with 802.11b clients not working when setting the WRT54g is set to "B only" (which makes no sense to me). All clients work when the WRT54g is set to "mixed". Unfortunately TiVo doesn't like this, so you'll have to wait for the 4.0.1 software. I got it a few days after requesting it.

I have my TiVo plugged into a WET11 anyway so this doesn't apply to me, but I thought it might be useful.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

J.Doelling is offline Old Post 09-14-2003 12:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for J.Doelling Find more posts by J.Doelling Add J.Doelling to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J.Doelling

A friend of mine had this same problem. Since he had an XBox he also wanted to network at the same location/TV I suggested returning the USB adapter and going with either a USB dongle + separate switch or trying the Linksys Cable/DSL Router with USB and 3-Port Switch (BEFSRU31) with DHCP turned off. Then get a Linksys G-Bridge (WET54G) to tie the whole thing in with his G WAP upstairs. I imagine this should have worked as the TiVo wouldn't see the wireless, but have been moving cross country and haven't heard back from him since I left to confirm what he did. Still, thought I'd throw it out for consideration.

Jason

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jwoj is offline Old Post 10-03-2003 06:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jwoj Find more posts by jwoj Add jwoj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwoj

Re: Re: 802.11g Linksys

quote:
Originally posted by scottkct
Linksys 54G will work fine if you use the proper adapter. The common linksys companion for Tivo is the WUSB11 Instant Wireless USB Network Adapter. This will not work on the Linksys G routers w/o software upgrade. You need the WUSB12 Wireless Compact USB Adapter. Once you plug this puppy in you will have no problem getting a signal in the status screen.

PM me if you have any questions. If you do a search for "WUSB12" (minus quotes) you will find numerous posts regarding this issue.

This isn't exactly right...I am running the 54g router, a g laptop card and the WUSB11 adapter.

The WUSB11 was the last thing added to the "chain" (bought it last weekend at Best Buy) and it installed/works without a problem...no software installation required.

Perhaps I just got lucky.

Jaime

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Slpypup is offline Old Post 10-03-2003 11:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Slpypup Find more posts by Slpypup Add Slpypup to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Slpypup

So I'm confused is it the WUSB11 or WUSB12?? I've already decied on the 54g router.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

capnqwest is offline Old Post 10-03-2003 09:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for capnqwest Visit capnqwest's homepage! Find more posts by capnqwest Add capnqwest to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
capnqwest

The WUSB11 is a USB wireless (802.11b) adapter that plugs into the back of your Tivo. I use a Linksys WRTG54 router and haven't had any problems.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged