TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
>>> "Save to VCR" slate <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Old Post 03-06-2001 11:10 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arnex

Talking "Save to VCR" slate

My Sony TiVo (1.3) displays a nice 10-second white-on-black program info slate before outputting the actual program when the "Save to VCR" function is used (I understand the Phillips units don't do this).

The problem is -- this only works if you choose the "Save from the beginning" option. If you instead try to cue up to the precise point where the program starts, press pause, then use the "Save from the paused location" option... no slate, it just starts playback immediately from where you paused. My VCR has one of those old-fangled 20th-century mechanical transports, and the heads just don't spin up that fast...

Why not make it roll the 10-second slate in either case, regardless of where the dump-to-tape commences? It would be really nice to be able to cue up my own start point on the playback, then have a nice clean roll from the slate into the actual first frame of the program, skipping any pre-show commercial clutter that might have been captured in the recording.

Maybe this is in 2.0.1?

--arnex

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CoosCoos is offline Old Post 03-06-2001 11:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for CoosCoos Find more posts by CoosCoos Add CoosCoos to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CoosCoos

Talking

quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by arnex:
My Sony TiVo (1.3) displays a nice 10-second white-on-black program info slate before outputting the actual program when the "Save to VCR" function is used (I understand the Phillips units don't do this).

Why not make it roll the 10-second slate in either case, regardless of where the dump-to-tape commences?
</font>

You're right, the Philips units didn't have a slate in 1.3, but they do now in 2.0.1. That's one of the enhancements I really like. However, it doesn't act the way you're suggesting -- if you pause a recording and go into "Save to VCR" and choose "Save from paused location" it starts playing immediately.

Because of this, when I "Save to VCR" I record the slate for a few seconds and then pausing the VCR for a couple minutes until the movie actually starts.

With your idea, I wouldn't have to do that at all, so I'm all for it. However, for each of us that like this idea there will be those who don't like it. We just have to be louder!

------------------
Cous cous is the food.
CoosCoos is your online hero.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-07-2001 02:40 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arnex

Talking

quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">when I "Save to VCR" I record the slate for a few seconds and then pausing the VCR for a couple minutes until the movie actually starts.</font>

Aw, this is so low-tech! All this 21st-Century digital technology and we're still playing happy-trigger-finger with our pause buttons trying to cut commercials from the tape. Seems like 1975 all over again. Where are my rabbit ear antennas?

Every time I pause/unpause during recording on my VCR, I invariably miss vital frames or catch unwanted ones, and always get the beautiful receding rainbow stripe down the left side of my screen.

I like the suggestion someone made in another thread, re: allowing cuts within the recording to be marked for playback. Combine this with the slate and you've got a sweet proposition. One-step dump-to-VCR of just the content you want to preserve.

I'm not even concerned so much with cutting commercials out of the middle of the recording, though. I realize that TiVo doesn't want to antagonize the broadcasters whose revenue streams rely on their being seen as often as possible. I'd just like to avoid that little bit of clutter at the beginning. Sometimes it's a minute or more or commercials and promos, sometimes it's only a few seconds of a station ID, but regardless, it's annoying to see that before every recording on the tape.

-- arnex

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged