TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> 2 Tivo's, powerline network, one works, one doesn't! <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
zoober is offline Old Post 09-15-2003 07:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zoober Find more posts by zoober Add zoober to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zoober

Unhappy 2 Tivo's, powerline network, one works, one doesn't!

I would really appreciate any help here. Had not much luck with Tivo tech support. I am running an iMac with OS 10.2.6 and have 2 Tivo units, both series 2, one with the serial #140- and the other with 240-. I have a DSL modem and have hooked it up to a Belkin 4-port router. I am using Netgear powerline Ethernet adapters to connect the different rooms and Belkin USB adapters (FD5050, I think) to hook up the actual Tivo units. Same setup for each Tivo.

With the Tivo unit in the living room (closer to the computer room), everything works great. Plugged it in, obtained IP address automatically, and no problem connecting. This one is the 240- model. The problem is in the bedroom with the 140- Tivo. Same setup, but when I try to obtain the IP address automatically, it does not connect. Via tech support, I tried assigning a static IP address, but still no go. The strange thing is that it does work in some respects. I can see the programs recorded on my other Tivo, but it will not let me watch them. I also am not able to get music or photos off the computer. Also, I am usually not able to connect to the Tivo service via the network from this Tivo when I do it manually, but the other night, it somehow connected successfully on its own and updated my guide!

So basically it seems I have one Tivo that works great and the other that works 2% of the time. Any thoughts, suggestion? Thanks so much.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 09-15-2003 08:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

Have you tried changing out the ethernet cable that connects the TiVo to the powerline adapter? Is the powerline adapter plugged directly into the wall or is it plugged into a strip (powerstrip or surge strip).

I don't have any personal experience with powerline adapters but I do know that in most cases the 240 volt feed into your dwelling is split into two two separate 120 volt lines. If one powerline adapter is on one phase and the other is on the other phase, it might be your problem (although i thought powerline adapters weren't supposed to be subject to problems from this). I would think one way to find out would be to use a long extension cord and plug it into a different outlet (possibly one in the room where the other TiVo works).

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rwood is offline Old Post 09-16-2003 01:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rwood Find more posts by Rwood Add Rwood to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rwood

I am using the Gigafast Powerline adapters. The instructions say NOT to use power extension cords.
Using long ethernet cables, I have connected the router end to three sockets in my office and the TiVo end to three sockets in the TV room with varying results depending on the combination of sockets used.

In the best case, HMO runs well and I can play MP3's from two different computers and the TiVo site. Displaying pictures from the TiVo site is almost instantanious. Remote scheduling takes 30-60 minutes.

I would suggest trying different sockets with a long ethernet cable.

My problem is service connections. Test connections and service connections fail 90% of the time with "Failed. Service Unavailable".

I submitted the problem on the TiVo site, the email response was of no help, I'll be calling tech support later.

By the way, newegg.com has the Gigafast Powerline adapters for less than $30.00 with free shipping - the lowest price that I have seen for any remote adapter.

Good luck
Randy

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zoober is offline Old Post 09-16-2003 02:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zoober Find more posts by zoober Add zoober to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zoober

Thank you both for your advice. I will try different outlets and perhaps a different or longer Ethernet cable tonight. I'll let you know how it works out. Interestingly, I was able to connect to the Tivo service last night for a download, but not able to see the music or photos or get the programs off the other Tivo again!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TampaThunder is offline Old Post 09-16-2003 02:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TampaThunder Find more posts by TampaThunder Add TampaThunder to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TampaThunder
Mr. Dead Money

Also, try switching the adapters. I had this problem once and it turned out that the powerline adapter (mine was Linksys) itself was flaky.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 09-16-2003 03:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by Rwood
I am using the Gigafast Powerline adapters. The instructions say NOT to use power extension cords.
Using long ethernet cables, I have connected the router end to three sockets in my office and the TiVo end to three sockets in the TV room with varying results depending on the combination of sockets used.

It's likely that all three outlets in the same room are still on the same circuit and thereby the same side of the hot leads (the 120 volt have of the 240 volt supply). If you can, you might want to try an outlet that's on an entirely different circuit.
quote:
My problem is service connections. Test connections and service connections fail 90% of the time with "Failed. Service Unavailable".

This could be some sort of interference issue. Perhaps the Music & Photos stuff is a little more tolerant -- and I believe the amount of data coming through for a given transaction is smaller than what goes through the pipe for a service connection.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zoober is offline Old Post 09-19-2003 08:17 AM
zoober

It worked! It worked! It worked! Thank you all for your help. I tried switching the outlets that the powerline adapters were plugged into, and now everything clicks. It's amazing how simple a solution can be, especially after spending hours on the phone with Tivo tech support. Thanks again.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged