TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> 2nd TIVO; 2nd $12.95 per month? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lucky2BeOn is offline Old Post 09-18-2003 05:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Lucky2BeOn Find more posts by Lucky2BeOn Add Lucky2BeOn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lucky2BeOn

2nd TIVO; 2nd $12.95 per month?

I have Home Media Option with a single Tico Unit. I want to buy a second unit. Do I have to pay another $12.95 per month on top of the $12.95 I am already paying for the 1st one?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

limoman is offline Old Post 09-18-2003 05:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for limoman Find more posts by limoman Add limoman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
limoman

Yes. You need a subscription for each unit you own if you want to take full advantage of Tivos functions. You can always skip the subscription and use your Tivo as a manual recorder - but who does that?

Ed

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mnw2000 is offline Old Post 09-18-2003 07:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mnw2000 Visit mnw2000's homepage! Find more posts by mnw2000 Add mnw2000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mnw2000

2nd, 3rd, 4th Tivo Units

With each unit costing $12.95 per month (or a full time subscription), the cost of Tivo can add up. Then there is the additional $49 fees for HMO for each unit to get the full value of Tivo and you are looking at spending as much for Tivo as for your cable bill.

Is there any chance may come up with a better value for users with multiple units? I love the HMO feature and would like to put it in my other room, but the costs are simply too prohibative. If I get a second Tivo with HMO, do I need a subscription? Can I copy a program from my main Tivo (with a subscription) to my secondary unit?

We need some creative pricing schemes for multiple Tivo users.

80hr Series2 with HMO

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 09-18-2003 08:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

There was another thread regarding the multiple unit discount over in the Coffee House forum. TiVoPony commented on this and said essentially that TiVo's first focus is to become a profitable company and offering a multiple unit discount could have a serious impact upon this focus.

Although, he didn't dismiss that this might change in the future.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kanyon71 is offline Old Post 09-18-2003 08:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kanyon71 Visit Kanyon71's homepage! Find more posts by Kanyon71 Add Kanyon71 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kanyon71

quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
There was another thread regarding the multiple unit discount over in the Coffee House forum. TiVoPony commented on this and said essentially that TiVo's first focus is to become a profitable company and offering a multiple unit discount could have a serious impact upon this focus.

Although, he didn't dismiss that this might change in the future.

I actually think it would help it. You would have far more people willing to have multiple units if there where a nice discount. I pay a huge bill for my sat every month but I don't have to pay that same bill for each of the 3 additional receivers I have I pay a small fee $4.95 I think it is for each additional box.

Now I already have 2 Tivo's one Series 1 and 1 Series 2 I want to add another S2 but I cannot bring myself to pay yet another full fee plus another HMO fee (yeah I know its discounted).

These are just my thoughts though.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Austin Bike is offline Old Post 09-18-2003 07:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Austin Bike Find more posts by Austin Bike Add Austin Bike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Austin Bike

If I have one unit upstairs that has all of my programs on it and I get a second unit without the service, can I only get HMO for it if all I want to do is stream shows from the first unit to the second unit?

If I only had to pay $199 + $50 for HMO that's a lot easier to consider than an extra $500 to get the second unit going.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mavis is offline Old Post 09-19-2003 03:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mavis Find more posts by mavis Add mavis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mavis

I agree. Just bought my first TIVO (and first post here also). Series 2 - 80 hour with HMO. After using it for just under a week, I'm finding myself looking for TIVO features in other rooms.

Can you buy standalone TIVO - series 2 - add HMO for $49 but not activate the $12.95 fee and then use it to stream from main TIVO? Also - would the "un-activated" TIVO allow you to watch live TV with the 30 minute buffer? ie...pause, rew, ff live TV within the buffer?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 09-19-2003 04:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by mavis
Can you buy standalone TIVO - series 2 - add HMO for $49 but not activate the $12.95 fee and then use it to stream from main TIVO? Also - would the "un-activated" TIVO allow you to watch live TV with the 30 minute buffer? ie...pause, rew, ff live TV within the buffer?

HMO requires an "activated" TiVo. An unactivated Series 2 TiVo is essentially useless. You can't even do basic VCR type functions with it.

This is NOT the case with the new units being rolled out by Toshiba and Pioneer which come with TiVo Basic included. The Toshiba unit is a combination 80-hour TiVo with a built-in DVD player. It does not require any subscription for the TiVo Basic functions. However, you can't add HMO to it either until it gets upgraded to TiVo Plus.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged