TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> # of Antennas Makes A Difference in a Wireless G Router? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jk5598224 is offline Old Post 09-18-2003 06:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jk5598224 Find more posts by jk5598224 Add jk5598224 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jk5598224

# of Antennas Makes A Difference in a Wireless G Router?

I have been studying this forum off and on prior to makeing the jump to wireless and connecting my Tivo, Thinkpad and a iMac via a Wireless router.

Question #1.
Does it make a difference when choosing a Wireless DSL Router how many antennas it has? I would like to buy the Netgear (WGR614) because it is the most visually appealing vs. the D-Link ( DI-624 ) or Linksys (WRT54G) but only has one antenna. ┐I should try to increase my link quality to the highest possilbe, no?

While ideally I would locate the router in the 'middle/centrally locateed' room of my 4 room apartment, it is more thank likely I will place it next the the iMac which would be about 20 meters away from where I typically sit with my laptop. My wireless card for my laptop is a Cisco.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jk5598224 on 09-18-2003 at 06:29 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 09-18-2003 08:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

I really don't think the number of antennas would make a difference other than you might be able to tweak the coverage pattern slightly. After all, my Apple Airport Base Station has no visible external antenna and it covers most of my 2,400 square foot house (plus the basement).

You may want to note what other add-ons the various wireless routers have. For example, the LinkSys has a signal booster and D-Link has a "repeater" (for their 802.11b products).

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jk5598224 is offline Old Post 09-18-2003 06:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jk5598224 Find more posts by jk5598224 Add jk5598224 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jk5598224

iMac Question

Thank you for your answer! Can I ask also do your apple computers connect via the 'Airport Card' or a USB card and which would be preferred. The other computer in the house is a iMac. Thanks.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Austin Bike is offline Old Post 09-18-2003 07:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Austin Bike Find more posts by Austin Bike Add Austin Bike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Austin Bike

Number of antennas shouldn't matter, but the TYPE of antenna will. There are companies that sell replacement Linksys antennas with higher ratings (as well as outdoor antennas).

I know the antenna connection is somewhat non-standard (I think it is a "reverse TNC") so check out before you just pick one up at radio shack.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ewieland is offline Old Post 09-21-2003 02:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ewieland Find more posts by ewieland Add ewieland to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ewieland

Re: iMac Question

quote:
Originally posted by jk5598224
Thank you for your answer! Can I ask also do your apple computers connect via the 'Airport Card' or a USB card and which would be preferred. The other computer in the house is a iMac. Thanks.

If you use an external USB network adapter you may get better signal strength, but Mac OS X really prefers to use an AirPort card for wireless networking. Make sure any USB wireless network adapter you buy has been thoroughly tested with the version of Mac OS X you are using (check the support site to make sure it works with 10.2.6, and not just 10.2, since there were some important networking changes made in 10.2.4). Also, make sure you don't have a 2.4 GHz cordless phone or a microwave oven near any of your wireless network devices.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 09-21-2003 05:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

Re: iMac Question

quote:
Originally posted by jk5598224

The original iMac (the "bondi blue" one) doesn't have the built-in support for an Airport card (the Airport stuff was announced a while later).

I believe all the slot loading iMacs (the ones without a CD tray) have built-in support for an Airport card -- also all the newer flat-panel iMacs have built-in support for an Airport card.

As far as my situation goes, in the house I have the following Macs connected as follows:

Three iBooks all using built-in Airport cards
One Powerbook G4 using built-in Airport card
One iMac (the original bondi blue one) using a wireless USB adapter
One PowerMac 7600 using a wireless PCI card
One PowerMac G4 using a wired connection

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged