TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> Record to DVD-RAM??? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
One eyed willy is offline Old Post 10-05-2003 09:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for One eyed willy Find more posts by One eyed willy Add One eyed willy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
One eyed willy

Record to DVD-RAM???

I am new here, so I'm not sure what I can and can't say here. Please excuse me if I say something I shouldn't.

I have the 80 hour Series 2 Tivo. I do have it connected to my network via the Linksys wUSB12 adapter. Anyway, I noticed that on the screen just before you play the program, there is an option to record to VCR. Has anyone tried recording to DVD external recorders??? I want to buy one to record programs for my GF who's stationed overseas, but I don't want to waste all that money on something that the TiVo couldn't record to anyway. A lot of them have their own internal hard drives, so if it's possible, I can "record" it to the DVD Recorder's internal hard drive, then record it at my leisure to a DVD. It sounds like a lot of work, but it's worth it for my GF.

I read Steve Jenkins website about the FTP server, which means that I should be able to FTP to the Tivo and pull down data. If this is correct, how hard would it be to install the FTP server??? I do have some experience with LINUX/UNIX, but not enough confidence to bust up my 325 dollar Tivo to try and end up screwing up my Tivo. If the DVD recorder works, I can just wait and buy that later.

Thanks for your answers...

Willy

Last edited by One eyed willy on 10-05-2003 at 11:57 PM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

One eyed willy is offline Old Post 10-05-2003 11:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for One eyed willy Find more posts by One eyed willy Add One eyed willy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
One eyed willy

Someone must have a DVD Recorder... come on everyone...

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Nihilator is offline Old Post 10-06-2003 12:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Nihilator Visit Nihilator's homepage! Find more posts by Nihilator Add Nihilator to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nihilator
Rebate Whore

"record to VCR" can be used to record to a standalone DVD recorder as well....there's no magic associated with it, it just sends the signal to the outputs as though you were watching the show yourself.

The other option you're talking about...hacking into your TiVo in order to get at TiVos raw data files...is a horse of a different color, and is not discussed on this board. Besides, there's a whole lot more to it than just FTPing in and downloading the streams. It's complicated. Your girlfriend isn't worth that much trouble. :-)

--Chris

In-house:
Sony SVR-2000, 140 hours (WD 120GB), $199 lifetime sub and TurboNet
Philips HDR312, 167 hours (A: WD 60GB & B: WD 80GB), $249 lifetime sub and TurboNet.
Philips HDR112, 144 hours (A: Maxtor 120GB), lifetime sub. PPP over serial!
Philips HDR112, 144 hours (A: Maxtor 120GB), lifetime sub, removeable hard drive and TurboNet.
Philips HDR312, currently in pieces...'cause it's fun to mess with stuff!
That's three weeks of TiVo at medium quality, 24 hours a day.

Out on loan:
Philips HDR112, 116 hours. Currently on loan to Dad.

Actual mother-son conversation:
Son: "Hey, Mom. How's your Christmas present (DirecTiVo) working out?"
Mother: "TiVo rocks."

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 10-06-2003 06:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HTH Visit HTH's homepage! Find more posts by HTH Add HTH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HTH
No Avatar Selected

A DV bridge would also work in conjunction with a Firewire interface on the computer, DVD mastering software, and a DVD burner. There are also video capture cards available.

I wish Dazzle would put out a DV bridge that would handle component video as well.

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cletus is offline Old Post 10-06-2003 08:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cletus Visit Cletus's homepage! Find more posts by Cletus Add Cletus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cletus
connecticutie

BTW, you don't want to record to DVD-RAM. That's a data format, not playable in standalone DVD players.

/wiseass mode off

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mpauley is offline Old Post 10-06-2003 07:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mpauley Visit mpauley's homepage! Find more posts by mpauley Add mpauley to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mpauley
Im That Guy!

WWW dot Look Ma - No Hands dot Com

Come hang out on my Corner

Last edited by mpauley on 10-07-2003 at 02:14 AM

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

One eyed willy is offline Old Post 10-08-2003 10:46 AM
One eyed willy

Thumbs up

I didn't mean DVD-RAM, I meant DVD+R or +RW. DVD-RAM is not very widely used. I do have a firewire connection on my laptop, what are these "bridges" that we are talking about? If they are adaptors that allow connection from one type to another (ex. USB to serial for laptop connection to a router).

I am thinking about getting my DVD Recorder with a Hard Drive. That way, I can record at my leisure.

Thanks for everyone's help...

Willy

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 10-09-2003 12:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HTH Visit HTH's homepage! Find more posts by HTH Add HTH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HTH
No Avatar Selected

Bridges like the Dazzle* Hollywood DV Bridge, which apparently has been replaced by the Pinnacle Studio MovieBOX DV. It's basically a bi-directional analog to DV video converter that connects to your computer via Firewire/IEEE-1394/i.Link. Many digital camcorders can also function as DV bridges.

There are other types of bridges, but this is the kind I'm talking about.

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.

Last edited by HTH on 10-09-2003 at 12:34 AM

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Timbeau is offline Old Post 10-09-2003 02:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Timbeau Find more posts by Timbeau Add Timbeau to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Timbeau
Sox 11/11, TB 16/16

A DVD Recorder with a hard drive is your easiest method. I have a Panasonic DMR-E60 which doesn't have a hard drive and I wish I'd waited for the model with the hard drive. I "save to VCR" all the time and record it on the DMR-E60. If it is a show with commercials I can record to DVD-RAM, edit out the commercials, bring the DVD-RAM to my PC and transfer it to DVD-R or whatever format I am interested in. If I had a hard drive I could "save to VCR" to the hard drive and then edit out the commercials and burn a DVD-R without having to use the PC.

You mention DVD+R and DVD+RW, they are NOT supported on the Panasonic DVD recorders like mine. If your girlfriend's DVD player only works with DVD+R or DVD+RW, then don't get a Panasonic. If that is not the case then DVD-R is just as good as any other format. You can find stats that say DVD-R is the format accepted by most players, you can find stats that say DVD+R is more compatible. My guess is that they are both pretty compatible.

If you are not sure what DVD recorder you want, go to www.avsforum.com for oodles of info on different ones.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nacedo is offline Old Post 10-10-2003 05:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nacedo Find more posts by nacedo Add nacedo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nacedo

One Eye Willy, i am going through the same situation (except the GF part!) and i did some research on this earlier. in my situation, since i am building a new computerr, i am going to buy the Pioneer A06 Dual-Format DVD-Burner which reads/burns DVD +/- R and +/- RW. Then i am also going to buy the Philips Progessive Scan Dual Format DVD Recorder.

the way i am going to work this out:
1) use "record to vcr"* function on tivo and hit record on the philips dvd recorder
2) when recording is finished, get dvd and bring to computer to Pioneer dvd drive
3) edit video on computer (remove commercials and the such)
4) burn dvd to whatever format i need to (dvd+r, dvd-r, dvd+rw, or dvd-rw) for compatibility issues (i.e. gf's dvd player does not play dvd-r/rw discs; only plays dvd+r/rw)

if you decide to buy a dvd recorder with a hdd built in, i would choose the Panasonic DVD-Video recorder Has Progressive scan, dvd-r and dvd-ram recording, 80gb hdd and i think this is the model with Dolby Stereo and ProLogic 2 recording. the only draw back with this recorder is it only records to dvd-r and dvd-ram discs. good if you have a dvd-ram drive in a computer, bad if you don't. as for reading other dvd formats (ie dvd+r/rw, etc) i do not know. also bad if your gf doesn't have a dvd player that supports dvd-ram or dvd-r encoded discs. (btw why buy a DVD Recorder with a built in HDD when your tivo already has one? i mean if space is a concern on your tivo, why not upgrade or add another HDD? its cheaper!)

otherwise i would choose the Philips Progessive Scan Dual Format DVD Recorder. it has dual-format reading and recording functionality, progessive scan, iLink connection (IEEE 1394) for you dv-camera, mp3 cd reading, and a bunch more features but no HDD. good because you can send you gf all 4 disc formats (dvd +r/rw and dvd-r/rw) and then let her tell you which ones are compatible with her dvd player so you can burn to that format for now on.

i dont really recommend using the "bridge" method. why? u have to have a good computer for this to work good: at least a 1.3GHz or above, 512MB memory, FireWire(IEEE1394) connectivity, and a $150+ dongle/"bridge" for video input. then you have to worry about having a DVD burner still and since you said you have a laptop, good luck in finding a dvd burner unless it is an external one which will cost you at least $400+ thus you might as well have bought the DVD-Recorder set-top box.

as for FTPing the tivo and "extracting" the video your TIVO, it has to be a Series 1 and not a Series 2 because (as far as i know) extracting video from a series 2 is not possible yet because of encryption and some proprietary video format, something like that.

I hope this helps out. i sorta rushed though this because i have to go to my little sisters schools football game. she won homecomming princess and tonight is their homecomming game and she has to be there (and so do i to show off my support to her - Congrats SHEENA!!! Go JFK!) so if am a little unclear somewhere or if i forgot something or whatever ill check back later tonight and tomorrow to answer any questions or comments.

* btw "recored to VCR" function is just like playing a recorded show. the only difference is that it prevents on-screen menus from poping up. for example accidently pressing the Guide button, or if the tivo asks and wants to know if it can change the channel to record a scheduled show, etc... basically anything that pops up and does not deal with the show and you dont want included!

WHAT I CANT POST LINKS!!! THIS STINKS!!! ;P

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Compwiz312 is offline Old Post 10-10-2003 07:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Compwiz312 Find more posts by Compwiz312 Add Compwiz312 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Compwiz312
Tivo upgrade guy

www.*cough*deal*cough*database*cough*.com

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TRILIGHT is offline Old Post 10-10-2003 08:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TRILIGHT Visit TRILIGHT's homepage! Find more posts by TRILIGHT Add TRILIGHT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TRILIGHT
Grammaton Cleric

quote:
Originally posted by Nihilator
Besides, there's a whole lot more to it than just FTPing in and downloading the streams. It's complicated.

Actually, it really is that easy. It's not complicated at all.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mattack is offline Old Post 10-10-2003 08:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mattack Find more posts by mattack Add mattack to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mattack
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cletus
BTW, you don't want to record to DVD-RAM. That's a data format, not playable in standalone DVD players.

True in general (i.e. random existing DVD player won't play them).

But there are DVD players that will play them. Definitely some from Panasonic, I believe some from other brands too.

I see Fry's ads for the Panasonic one that plays DVD-RAM for $70 (including rebate). So it's not completely inconceivable to buy one of these to play DVD-RAMs in another room for example.

Personally, the advantages of DVD-RAM outweigh the disadvantages. I'll use it as "better videotape" for temporary-ish recordings. (i.e. more longlasting than Tivo recordings, but not things I want to keep forever, unless the DVD-RAM prices come WAY down.) or to offload from the hard drive (in the E80 or Tivo to E80).

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mattack is offline Old Post 10-10-2003 08:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mattack Find more posts by mattack Add mattack to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mattack
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by nacedo
(btw why buy a DVD Recorder with a built in HDD when your tivo already has one? i mean if space is a concern on your tivo, why not upgrade or add another HDD? its cheaper!)

Because
1) It's another non-videotape recorder to use for conflicts when shows air at the same time (including abutting timeslots where both shows need slop on the ends).
2) You can edit the recording on the hard drive before dubbing to DVD, including just saving the 5 minute piece of a 2 hour show that you actually care about.
3) It's about $100 more than the existing standalone DVD recorders, well worth it for the significant added features, IMHO.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nacedo is offline Old Post 10-10-2003 01:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for nacedo Find more posts by nacedo Add nacedo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nacedo

quote:
2) You can edit the recording on the hard drive before dubbing to DVD, including just saving the 5 minute piece of a 2 hour show that you actually care about.

i never knew that! i think i might just buy panasonic dvd recorder instead of the philips... if it wasn't priced so damn high! $799! - thats basically the cost of my monthly price for my college tuition.

quote:
1) It's another non-videotape recorder to use for conflicts when shows air at the same time (including abutting timeslots where both shows need slop on the ends).

you have a point there. if you are using a basic setup with an antenna capturing the basic tv signals, having another digital recorder would be great. but the way i saw it was if you had direct tv or a directivo. see i dont have a basic OTA antenna only a directtv dish and the hughes tivo so i didn't see it any other way (thanks for "opening my eyes" ;P) which is why i thought buying the panasonic would be pointless

quote:
3) It's about $100 more than the existing standalone DVD recorders, well worth it for the significant added features, IMHO.

you have a good point there again, sorta. i guess it all depends on your own personal situation. since i will soon have a dvd burner on my computer, buying the recorder with a hdd would be pointless and more expensive cause i can just do the editing on my computer plus i will have tons of more features and freedom to do what i want to my recordings (add captions, create special effects, set titles and chapters, add my own pictures to my own root menu, etc) plus since it is a dual format, i can create any format to fit any ones need for any situation (i.e. so-and-so's dvd player only accepts dvd+r media and nothing else but this-person's dvd player only aceepts dvd-r and dvd-rw and nothing else, etc)

so to bassically to sum it up i guess it all depends on everyones personal situation. so for willy's case i thought just getting the dual format burner would be the better choice because he won't have to worry if he buys the $799 dvd burner with built in hdd just to find out it's discs are not compattible with his girl friends dvd player. so i figured he can save himself $100 some bucks and buy one that will give him a 99.9% compatibility. he wont be able to do the editing on the recorder forcing him to record the whole show on to a dvd; but, isn't that why they put the FFWD button on the dvd players? lol

I STILL CAN'T POST LINKS?!?!?! ;p

"What does this BUTTON DO? HEY! THE LIGHT WENT ON. WAIT A MINUTE, WHY ARE MY LETTERS THIS BIG? HMZ.. I DON'T LIKE THIS... MAYBE IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE BUTTEN I JUST PUSHED... WAIT A SEC, MAYBE THIS helps... wow.. thank goodness.. I need a break, a cup of tea and my daily soap..

- everyday adventures of a mother and her sons computer"

"one time..when I was all alone...i decided that i would cover my entire body with fudge icing and dance around outside with a pair of angel wings on. that is all. "

both from ThinkGeek.com's fortune page including the fudge and angel wings quote and no it was not my quote! ;P

Last edited by nacedo on 10-10-2003 at 01:37 PM

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nacedo is offline Old Post 10-10-2003 01:36 PM
nacedo

i also forgot to ask in my previous post: with the panasonic dvd recorder, when you say you can do the editing on it, exactly what can you do? for example can you pick and chose which segments of a recording is to be burned onto disc and which ones are to be left out? can you create titles and chapters? create a title menu? and so on and so forth. thanks.

NOW CAN I POST LINKS???? ;p

"What does this BUTTON DO? HEY! THE LIGHT WENT ON. WAIT A MINUTE, WHY ARE MY LETTERS THIS BIG? HMZ.. I DON'T LIKE THIS... MAYBE IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE BUTTEN I JUST PUSHED... WAIT A SEC, MAYBE THIS helps... wow.. thank goodness.. I need a break, a cup of tea and my daily soap..

- everyday adventures of a mother and her sons computer"

"one time..when I was all alone...i decided that i would cover my entire body with fudge icing and dance around outside with a pair of angel wings on. that is all. "

both from ThinkGeek.com's fortune page including the fudge and angel wings quote and no it was not my quote! ;P

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jmoak is offline Old Post 10-10-2003 09:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jmoak Find more posts by jmoak Add jmoak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jmoak
-no title-

quote:
Originally posted by TRILIGHT
Actually, it really is that easy. It's not complicated at all.

Blasphemer! Heretic! You speak of the evil "E" word!
Your claims of ease and non-complication are forbidden knowledge in the temple and will not be tolerated!

The faithful are called to avert thine eyes and listen not to those who would spread the forbidden knowledge! For the new elders have decreed it to be difficult, time consuming, and thine girlfriend is not worth that much trouble! For it will cause your toes to curl and hair will appear upon your knuckles!

Repent and accept the Holy DtoA/AtoD step and revel in the artifacts they provide us! Know that the extra time that is spent in real-time capture will keep you from the evil arts, such as drinking beer and watching tv!

Keep us safe, O Holy Valenti, from the evils of fair use.......

()

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged