TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> Pioneer Develops DVD-R Dual-layer Recording Technology <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dan203 is offline Old Post 10-06-2003 09:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

Pioneer Develops DVD-R Dual-layer Recording Technology

http://www.pioneer.co.jp/press/release125.html

quote:
October 3, 2003, Tokyo, Japan - Pioneer Corporation has announced today that the company developed the DVD-R dual-layer recording technology. It means that the technological foundation has almost been established to commercialize DVD-R discs, where data up to 8.5GBytes can be recorded on one side.

The new dual-layer recording technology, adopting the dye-recording-film layer method, has realized a 9.34% jitter with a 17.3% reflection rate on the first layer (L0) of a disc, and an 8.08% jitter with a 19.5% reflection rate for the second layer (L1). This shows almost the same performance as that for dual-layer DVD-ROM discs. It means that DVD-R discs supporting this technology can be played back on most existing DVD players, and DVD recorders supporting this technology will be developed easily.

In the rapidly growing DVD recorder market, there has been a strong need from users for longer hours, yet high picture quality DVD disc recording. Pioneer's new technology will allow the users to record programs of up to about 4 hours in the SP mode, or programs of up to about 12 hours in the EP mode with DVD recorders.

The company intends to make a proposal of this technology as a new disc format to the DVD Forum after further improvement in performance.

This is too cool. Pretty soon programs like DVDShrink will no longer be necessary.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 10-06-2003 09:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

SWEET! 4.7GBs just aint enough sometimes.

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

disco is offline Old Post 10-06-2003 09:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for disco Find more posts by disco Add disco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
disco
why?

Man, I was just thinking about this earlier today, and was ABOUT to post a thread asking, "Why can't they make dual layered DVD-R's?". GREAT news!!

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bryanmc is offline Old Post 10-06-2003 09:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bryanmc Visit Bryanmc's homepage! Find more posts by Bryanmc Add Bryanmc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryanmc
Will work for money.

This is good news.

I've had quite the frustrating time trying to squeeze a client's 2+ hour show onto a DVD. It will be nice when that's no longer a concern.

Sign me up baby, I'll take the first one off the line.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

edrock200 is offline Old Post 10-06-2003 10:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for edrock200 Find more posts by edrock200 Add edrock200 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edrock200
TiVo Forum Special Member

I was looking for this! Thanks Dan! I was watching TechLive on Friday and saw something about this on the news ticker but it was never mentioned again. I searched but didn't find anything. Great news...bummer that my early investments will be replaced though.

-Ed

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BattMan is offline Old Post 10-06-2003 11:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BattMan Visit BattMan's homepage! Find more posts by BattMan Add BattMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BattMan
Gig Em Aggies!!

This is what I have been waiting for before getting DVD-R. I have 150ish DVDs and I want a easy way to copy them.

GJ Pioneer.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

IndyJones1023 is offline Old Post 10-06-2003 11:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for IndyJones1023 Find more posts by IndyJones1023 Add IndyJones1023 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IndyJones1023
Now in PG!

quote:
Originally posted by Bryanmc
This is good news.

I've had quite the frustrating time trying to squeeze a client's 2+ hour show onto a DVD. It will be nice when that's no longer a concern.

Sign me up baby, I'll take the first one off the line.

Bry, you could always make the client DVD over 4.3GB and then let DVDShrink or Instant Copy squeeze that down to a single layer size.

Come to the Hotlando Meet!

The TC-Con '04 DVD!

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bryanmc is offline Old Post 10-06-2003 11:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bryanmc Visit Bryanmc's homepage! Find more posts by Bryanmc Add Bryanmc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryanmc
Will work for money.

quote:
Originally posted by IndyJones1023
Bry, you could always make the client DVD over 4.3GB and then let DVDShrink or Instant Copy squeeze that down to a single layer size.

I've got plenty of tools to do different levels of compression and encoding. I could shrink it down to 5 MB if I wanted.

The point is quality. Most of the stuff I work with has to be suitable for broadcast. (My discs are never used for broadcasting, but the material they come from is and I have to have the quality match.)

So it's not just a matter of fitting it on, but fitting it on and it looking good.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

edrock200 is offline Old Post 10-06-2003 11:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for edrock200 Find more posts by edrock200 Add edrock200 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edrock200

MPAA Ruins Own Films As Anti-Piracy Measure

http://slashdot.org/articles/03/10/...&tid=188&tid=97

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mark Lopez is offline Old Post 10-06-2003 11:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Lopez Find more posts by Mark Lopez Add Mark Lopez to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark Lopez
Just click ignore

quote:
Originally posted by BattMan
This is what I have been waiting for before getting DVD-R. I have 150ish DVDs and I want a easy way to copy them.

Just out of curiosity, why? I have over 200 DVDs and not a single one has ever gone bad. Just seems like a big expense if only copying for 'archival' purposes.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

logic88 is offline Old Post 10-07-2003 12:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for logic88 Find more posts by logic88 Add logic88 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
logic88

http://www.dvdrw.com/press/duallayer.htm

"Philips will demonstrate its new dual-layer DVD recordable technology at the DVD+RW Alliance booth at the CEATEC* JAPAN 2003 exhibition in Makuhari (Chiba, Japan) from October 7 to 11. Developed by Philips Research in cooperation with MKM (Mitsubishi Kagaku Media)/Verbatim, the technology virtually doubles data storage capacity on DVD recordable discs from 4.7 Gbyte to 8.5 Gbyte while remaining compatible with existing DVD Video players and DVD-ROM drives. "

So which would you choose, dual layer + or -, Raj?

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Hoffer is offline Old Post 10-07-2003 12:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Hoffer Find more posts by Hoffer Add Hoffer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoffer
Hey Now!!!

quote:
Originally posted by logic88
So which would you choose, dual layer + or -, Raj?

Hopefully, Sony will come out with one that does both.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BattMan is offline Old Post 10-07-2003 12:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BattMan Visit BattMan's homepage! Find more posts by BattMan Add BattMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BattMan
Gig Em Aggies!!

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lopez
Just out of curiosity, why? I have over 200 DVDs and not a single one has ever gone bad. Just seems like a big expense if only copying for 'archival' purposes.

If someone if gonna borrow a DVD, I would rather let them take a burned one, cause a few of my DVDs never found a way home.

Also, I may start using netflix if I had this Pioneer hardware.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrettStah is offline Old Post 10-07-2003 12:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrettStah Find more posts by BrettStah Add BrettStah to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrettStah

This press release seems like a rushed attempt to dampen the Philips announcement about the dual-layer +R disc they will be demonstrating shortly...

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 10-07-2003 01:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

quote:
Originally posted by logic88
"Philips will demonstrate its new dual-layer DVD recordable technology at the DVD+RW Alliance booth at the CEATEC* JAPAN 2003 exhibition in Makuhari (Chiba, Japan) from October 7 to 11.

Cool! I prefer the +R/W format, as it works better with my current equipment.

I wonder if any of the current drives can be flash upgraded to work with this media? Or if it will require new hardware?

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

Last edited by Dan203 on 10-07-2003 at 01:29 AM

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JerryLBell is offline Old Post 10-07-2003 01:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JerryLBell Find more posts by JerryLBell Add JerryLBell to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JerryLBell

Just as early standalone DVD players initially had problems with DVD+Rs and DVD-Rs and later with DVD+R/Ws and DVD-R/Ws, I wonder if current players will have problems with these new dual-layer disks and if we'll all have to buy new players to be able to play them.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 10-07-2003 01:56 AM
Dan203
Cyn-er

My RCA DVD player, purchased in 1997, can play both DVD+R and DVD+RW. I could NOT get it to play a DVD-RW and I have not tried a DVD-R yet. So it's not guaranteed that just because your player is old, it will not be able to play these new disks.

Dan

All with Lifetime

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

edrock200 is offline Old Post 10-07-2003 03:51 AM
edrock200

quote:
Originally posted by Dan203
Cool! I prefer the +R/W format, as it works better with my current equipment.

I wonder if any of the current drives can be flash upgraded to work with this media? Or if it will require new hardware?

Dan

Thats what I was wondering...It may just be wishful thinking, but from this statement:

Both Philips and MKM regard the introduction of dual-layer DVD+R technology as the next important milestone in the drive to continually improve and expand the optical data storage options available to consumers. Users will benefit from the additional storage capacity of the DVD+R disc as it will enable them to record 4 hours of DVD-quality video or 16 hours of VHS-quality video, without the need to turn over the disc. PC users will be able to archive up to 8.5 Gbytes of computer files on a single disc, which almost doubles the storage capacity compared with the 4.7Gbytes for the single-layer DVD+R discs currently available.

It almost makes it sound like the breakthrough is in the media. All DVD-burners can obviously change angles of the lens since they have to be able to read dual layer discs, but I wonder what else is involved.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

edrock200 is offline Old Post 10-07-2003 04:03 AM
edrock200

crap...nevermind:

All future DVD+R9 drives and recorders will also record on DVD+RW and standard single-layer DVD+R media. Single-layer DVD+R media will remain to be available, as it suits a lot of recording purposes, and they are likely to be cheaper to manufacture. Current DVD+R/+RW drives and recorders cannot record onto DVD+R9 media, however, since DVD+R9 is fully compatible with the DVD-ROM specifications, they will be able to read those discs recorded on other equipment.

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/faq/faq_general.html

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

edrock200 is offline Old Post 10-07-2003 04:24 AM
edrock200

Still hope with -R:

According to Pioneer, a dual-layer DVD-R recorder would need to be developed to record on DVD-R dual layer discs, but as they are still working on this technology, this may still change. It looks like the DVD '-' standard is here to stay when it comes to dual layer DVD recordable technology.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8135

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged