TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> 802.11g capability......? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
run262 is offline Old Post 10-19-2003 02:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for run262 Find more posts by run262 Add run262 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
run262

802.11g capability......?

I would prefer to purchase the 802.11g usb adapters for my HMO. Has anyone heard when there will be a software update that wil support this? I already have Linksys route (WRT54G).

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 10-19-2003 03:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

There's been no word on those -- but 802.11g wireless USB adapters are very new.

An alternative would be to use a ethernet USB adapter in combination with a 802.11g wireless ethernet bridge.

Of course, the USB ports on the TiVo are only running in USB 1.1 mode which has a maximum of 12 Mbps.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DCIFRTHS is offline Old Post 10-19-2003 09:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DCIFRTHS Find more posts by DCIFRTHS Add DCIFRTHS to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DCIFRTHS
My TiVo flickers !

quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
.....Of course, the USB ports on the TiVo are only running in USB 1.1 mode which has a maximum of 12 Mbps.

I'm still hoping TiVo enables the faster USB 2.0 speeds for the units that have the USB 2.0 hardware.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 10-19-2003 09:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by DCIFRTHS
I'm still hoping TiVo enables the faster USB 2.0 speeds for the units that have the USB 2.0 hardware.

TiVoBji has dropped the hint that the USB 2.0 support is in testing. Don't know which adapters it will work with though.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DCIFRTHS is offline Old Post 10-19-2003 10:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DCIFRTHS Find more posts by DCIFRTHS Add DCIFRTHS to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DCIFRTHS
My TiVo flickers !

quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
TiVoBji has dropped the hint that the USB 2.0 support is in testing. Don't know which adapters it will work with though.

Thanks for the info.

Were any wired adapters mentioned at all? Would you have a link to that thread?

Edit: Found it here .

Last edited by DCIFRTHS on 10-19-2003 at 10:12 AM

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 10-19-2003 10:11 AM
bedelman
Call me Bob

If you do a search for the user name of TiVoBji they should show up. He usually lurks and doesn't post much.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jshore is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 06:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jshore Find more posts by jshore Add jshore to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jshore

802.11g?

I have a series 2 tivo (actually i have 2 of them) with home media option (using an imac with airport extreme station).

So will i ever have the capability to go up to 802.11g when they figure out the adapter? Or is my tivo only usb 1.1? If so, which tivo models will offer the hardware necessary to utilize 802.11g in the future?

Thanks!

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 09:05 PM
bedelman
Call me Bob

Re: 802.11g?

quote:
Originally posted by jshore
I have a series 2 tivo (actually i have 2 of them) with home media option (using an imac with airport extreme station).

So will i ever have the capability to go up to 802.11g when they figure out the adapter? Or is my tivo only usb 1.1? If so, which tivo models will offer the hardware necessary to utilize 802.11g in the future?

Thanks!

You could go to 802.11g today by combining an 802.11g to ethernet "bridge" and a ethernet to USB adapter (I did something similar with an 802.11b "bridge" before wireless support was available).

Any TiVo model where the TiVo Service Number (TSN) begins with a "2" has USB 2.0 hardware. However, the USB drivers that are installed are only doing USB 1.1

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged