TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> AAC....Dead Horse <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Guinness1759 is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 02:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Guinness1759 Find more posts by Guinness1759 Add Guinness1759 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guinness1759

Angry AAC....Dead Horse

I realize this has been neat to death.....

I am so bummed. I just found out that I can not stream my entire ITunes library that is in AAC and Protected AAC format to my Series 2 Tivo.

I read that you can burn them to a CD then rip them back into mp3'z, but then you have to re-enter all the Artist information etc. Plus i like the file sizes of the AAC format. I just converted all my mp3'z to AAC.

Are there any rumors as to when Tivo might make AAC possible?

I agree with what what one person wrote int hat HMO is an above and beyond cost and we should expect Tivo to bring feature requests bit more quickly than the avearge customer.

With not being able to play AAC I am not sire I even want HMO anymore. And if I dont need HMO, why do i need a series 2 at all?

Tivo if you are reading please tell me some good news.

Thanks-

Kevin

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 02:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

Fortunately, I did not convert all my MP3 files over to AAC. The good news for you if you're willing to take it on, is that the iLoveMP3 utility will convert AAC files (even protected ones) over to MP3 files and it will preserve all the Artist information etc. that's in the tags for the files.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Guinness1759 is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 05:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Guinness1759 Find more posts by Guinness1759 Add Guinness1759 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guinness1759

AAC 2 mp3

Tahnks for the info. That cheers me up quite a bit.
Is the program user friendly. i read all about it at the link you sent. I will play with it tonight to see if I can get all my music back to mp3.

When I ask is it hard to use....is it command based or an application that an average user can figure out?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 05:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

It's not the fastest application in the world, but it's fairly simple to use and it did the job for me.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

IanFrost is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 05:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for IanFrost Find more posts by IanFrost Add IanFrost to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IanFrost

Is there a windows version?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 08:14 AM
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by IanFrost
Is there a windows version?

Not of which I'm aware, but the Mac version seems to be comprised of open source components.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Austin Bike is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 08:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Austin Bike Find more posts by Austin Bike Add Austin Bike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Austin Bike

Pardon me for saying this, but why is everyone railing on TiVo for not supporting AAC instead of complaining that Apple chose AAC?

As a rule, when I buy music online the first thing I do is convert it to MP3 so I never have to be concerned about not being able to access my music.

I don't share but I want music that is unencumbered. MP3 is a widely supported standard. Based on the fact that 90-95% of the PCs run Windows, WMA would be a much better next step in support because there is a larger market. AAC is mainly Apple and Sony.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bkeyport is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 09:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bkeyport Find more posts by bkeyport Add bkeyport to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bkeyport

Apple chose AAC because it's a far better standard.

AAC sounds better, it works better, and is/was expandable to include the protection requirements of the iTMS..

WMA is Microsoft much poorer quality, and generally a horridly produced format.

Also, remember that Apple is trying to cut it's ties to Microsoft for everything - why have another Microsoft solution when you can do a much better thing?

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Guinness1759 is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 10:21 PM
Guinness1759

Talking Tivo/Apple

I dont mean to rail on Tivo. I was just surprised that it does not work with AAC as Tivo is quick to tel you how compatible they are with macs.

There are a few things Apple could do to work better with Tivo to, and a ton of things apple could do to improve thier programs.

I am going to try the ilovemp3 program and convert my music back to mp3, i am just worried about quality loss.

If i had an mp3 at 128-256 then converted it to 128 AAC will it sound bad if I covert it to 128 mp3?

Any suggestions before I start my weekend project would be appreciated.

Kevin

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 10:24 PM
bedelman
Call me Bob

You can adjust the sampling rate at which iLoveMP3 converts to. I think I used the VBR (variable bit rate) setting.

My 49 year old ears can't hear a difference.

I suggest you only do a song or two at first as a trial before you go and convert the whole lot.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Guinness1759 is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 12:01 AM
Guinness1759

What is the interface like and what steps are involved in getting your music and photos to play on your tivo? Beyond converitng my files to mp3, will the tivo interact with my itunes directly? I downlaoded the tivo desktop software here at work to get a feel for it. Am i correct to assume that i need to drag my libraby into the mac tivo desktop then create new playlists then it will be seen on my tivo? Does that mean i bassically have to keep a second music library up to date to be able to play it in the living room? Ill be honest it does not sound that user friendly so far if i am right.

thanks-

Kevin

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 12:49 AM
bedelman
Call me Bob

The TiVo will use the information from iTunes for the song files as well as any playlists. The same is more or less true with iPhoto -- where TiVo Desktop will use the information in the Photo library for the files as well as any albums you have setup (note that it will not pay attention to any "roll" sets you have in the photo library.

All you really do with TiVo Desktop on the Mac is to "set it and forget it". All your playlist/album management is done in either iTunes or iPhoto.

You do not copy the files into a different folder -- TiVo Desktop for Mac OSX uses the files where iTunes and iPhoto keeps them

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Guinness1759 is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 12:57 AM
Guinness1759

Thats fantastic news.
So once I convert i am ready to go. Im still bummes about converting, as the AAC 128 allowed me to fit everything on to my orignal 20gb ipod. Now I will have to pick and choose.

You mentioned before that ilovemp3 will even convert prottected AAC songs. Does that strip the right managments? Do you loose the album art?

You are very helpful.

Thanks-
Kevin

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 01:58 AM
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by Guinness1759
Thats fantastic news.
So once I convert i am ready to go. Im still bummes about converting, as the AAC 128 allowed me to fit everything on to my orignal 20gb ipod. Now I will have to pick and choose.

You mentioned before that ilovemp3 will even convert prottected AAC songs. Does that strip the right managments? Do you loose the album art?

I strongly suggest you convert a few files at first before you go "whole hog". And even then, you should probably do them in batches (and make a backup -- just in case).

iLoveMP3 will convert protected AAC songs as long as you do the conversion on a machine which has been "authorized" by the iTunes Music Store (if you can play your protected AAC songs on the computer, it's been "authorized"). Once the songs are in MP3, the rights management stuff is gone as far as I can tell. You do lose the album art (it doesn't appear to be part of the ID3 tags -- so it isn't preserved)

In regard to album art, have you ever looked at the application named "Clutter" <http://www.sprote.com/clutter/>?

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kupe is offline Old Post 11-23-2003 11:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kupe Find more posts by kupe Add kupe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!

quote:
Originally posted by Austin Bike
Pardon me for saying this, but why is everyone railing on TiVo for not supporting AAC instead of complaining that Apple chose AAC? Based on the fact that 90-95% of the PCs run Windows, WMA would be a much better next step in support because there is a larger market.

It wouldn't have mattered if Apple had gone with WMA, because you still wouldn't be able to play them on your Tivo. Remember- all the legally downloadable WMA recordings are DRM-coded WMA, which also don't work with Tivo.

kupe

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged