TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> Suggestions for Pioneer DVD-R Tivo <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
phyd is offline Old Post 12-10-2003 01:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for phyd Visit phyd's homepage! Find more posts by phyd Add phyd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phyd

Suggestions for Pioneer DVD-R Tivo

I have the new Pioneer DVD-R TiVo with DVD-R recording.

Here's some suggestions for TiVo / Pioneer to improve functionality in a future drop of the system software --

Suggestion #1
------------------
Reduce the bitrate slightly for (SP) mode to allow a couple of minutes either side of a 2 hour recording to still fit on a DVD-R. i.e. 2 hour SP program + 4 minutes = 124 minutes would still fit on a DVD-R. Currently many channels run slightly late (especially Sci-Fi channel), or start early and so a little reduction in the bitrate would let me still fit a "2 hour" (124 minutes) program on a DVD in SP mode.

Suggestion #2
-------------------
When splitting a recording across multiple discs, allow me to use the remaining space for other programs.

e.g. -

Let's say I want to put a 30 minute program and a 130 program across two DVDs. Currently I can't do this, even though there is enough capacity to do it. It takes three discs because I can't split a program and then use the remaining space to fit another program on the same disc. (assuming all this is in SP).

I want to be able to --

DVD-R 1
Entire 30 minute program #1 (complete)
First 90 minutes of program #2 (part one of two)

DVD-R 2
Last 40 minutes of program #2 (part two of two)

Currently I have to --

DVD-R 1
Entire 30 minute program #1 (complete)

DVD-R 2
First 120 minutes of program #2 (part one of two)

DVD-R 3
Last 10 minutes of program #2 (part two of two)

Suggestion #3
------------------
Allow me to split a program at an arbitrary point if it will not fit on a DVD-R. e.g. - With a 130 minute program I currently have to do --

DVD-R 1
First 120 minutes of program #1 (part one of two)

DVD-R 2
Last 10 minutes of program #2 (part two of two)

This makes disc 2 kind of silly - especially since I can't add anything else to it now. I'd rather sit and watch 65 minutes on one disc, and the swap to the second disc for another 65 minutes.

The solution would be to allow me to "mark" the split point by pausing at the desired place and hitting "SELECT" to chose the spot.

Suggestion #4
------------------
Allow me to edit out adverts before recording to DVD-R. This would save around 25-30% of wasted disc space. This feature could also be used to edit out junk before and after a program.

Suggestion #5
------------------
Improve final authored disc experience by providing 1/4 sized video previews next to program listings, allow selection of background color and style, provide scene selection with images of relevant chapter stop.

Suggestion #6
------------------
Allow a program to be recordered with "best rate to fit on disc". This would select the bitrate appropriately to allow an entire program to fit on DVD-R. Don't make me choose SP / LP / etc. Just let me indicate if I want to put it on DVD-R in future. This would be especially useful for programs that won't quite fit on a disc in SP mode (such as a long movie).

Finally...

I've only had my Pioneer TiVo for a couple of weeks, and I love it. But it's quite obviously first-generation software. Some quick decisions have been made, now it's time to improve it -- and don't make me buy a whole new one to get upgrades, this baby cost a lot!

-- Brian.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Peter000 is offline Old Post 12-10-2003 11:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Peter000 Find more posts by Peter000 Add Peter000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peter000
TiVo Forum Special Member

I agree with all of your suggestions, although some seem kind of complicated to use with such a simple interface. And it's highly doubtful they'll ever let us edit out commercials.

If I could have one suggestion it would be to use the disk space on the DVD effectively right now, it won't let me put on a 2 hour 10 minute program on a DVD, even though it would fit at the current SP bitrate. I've done several 2 hour programs now and it's never used much more than 4 gigs (the largest was 4.1 gigs.) That's alot more video that can be fit on the DVD!

edit: This is with the caveat that I don't want any quality loss in video... so if it's between lower bitrate and a noticible decrease in quality (which is already bad) DON'T lower the bitrate to fit more on a disk. Maybe have a 3 hour speed instead.

listen
get

Last edited by Peter000 on 12-10-2003 at 11:45 PM

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged