TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Airport Network and TiVo - Best adaptor? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
srciaran is offline Old Post 01-03-2004 07:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for srciaran Find more posts by srciaran Add srciaran to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
srciaran

Airport Network and TiVo - Best adaptor?

Hi all,
I have a password-protected Airport Extreme (802.11g) network with MAC Filtering and WEP Encryption. I have just gotten a series 2 (with another on the way -- both of my Series 1's went bad in the same month). So I'm ready to try Home Media Option. A couple of questions:

1. What network adapter will be easiest to set up with my Airport network? I'm familiar with the hex equivalent of my network address, which I know I will need with nearly any non-Apple device.

2. Are all of the available adapters 802.11b? I wouldn't mind having the speed benefit of 802.11g. If anyone knows a compatible G adapter I would love to hear about it. My TiVo serial number begins with 240, which I understand means that it has USB 2.0 and can take advantage of the higher speed.

TIA

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 01-03-2004 09:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

TiVo is only supporting 802.11b USB adapters. You can run 802.11g, but you need to do so with a combination of an 802.11g bridge and an ethernet USB adapter.

If you use 802.11b adapters, you'll need to run your base station in "mixed-mode" which may slow down the wireless network overall.

Although your TiVo has USB 2.0 hardware, the drivers that are installed are only USB 1.1.

I've been pleased with the Netgear adapters I've been using, but they're no longer available.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

futerfas is offline Old Post 01-04-2004 05:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for futerfas Visit futerfas's homepage! Find more posts by futerfas Add futerfas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
futerfas
Advanced Member

If you want to get 802.11g speeds, you can get a wired adapter for your tivo, then have that go to a 802.11g wireless bridge. May not be worth it but it supposed to work very well with multi-room viewing.

"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

srciaran is offline Old Post 01-04-2004 11:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for srciaran Find more posts by srciaran Add srciaran to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
srciaran

Okay, so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree in my irrational quest for fastest/latest technology (how very unlike me -- not). Is there a downside to just going 802.11b? Is there any kind of delay or other performance issue with multi-room viewing -- like does it take a while for a program to download or buffer from one TiVo to the other before it can be viewed?

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged