TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
>>> "Browsing" listings NOT intuitive... <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TrippKnightly is offline Old Post 01-11-2004 10:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TrippKnightly Find more posts by TrippKnightly Add TrippKnightly to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TrippKnightly

"Browsing" listings NOT intuitive...

Unless I'm missing something (chime in...) the only way to browse is:

From Tivo Central, you choose "Pick Programs to Record" then you pick "Record by Time or Channel" and THEN you're offered a chance to browse listings. So assuming you make the leap of logic and ignore what the menus imply, you get to browse.

Burying it this deep might have its reasons, but it sure seems bass ackwards to me - and this after how many years of Tivo's existence? They ought to provide a more continuous transition from the current viewing paradigm in the user interface.

Ironically, from Tivo Central, TV Guide seems nothing of the sort - seemingly just some small handful of programs that some marketeer wants to shove into my eyeballs.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ccwf is offline Old Post 01-11-2004 04:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ccwf Visit ccwf's homepage! Find more posts by ccwf Add ccwf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ccwf
Good holiday spirit!

There's the on-screen guide while watching live TV…

Also, there are shortcuts (TiVo+5, TiVo+6).

TiVo Help Forumsfeatured member
TC-Con '05, June 13
中日韓 Chinese/Japanese/Korean Dramas board admin

Tristana Moore, BBC News: Arts promoter Christof Blaesius wants to rebuild the [Berlin] wall and have it decorated by artists from around the world. The idea is proving controversial.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LinuxDude_MN is offline Old Post 01-16-2004 11:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for LinuxDude_MN Find more posts by LinuxDude_MN Add LinuxDude_MN to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LinuxDude_MN

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "browsing". Do you mean looking through the TV Guide listing? There is a "TV Guide" button on the remote that brings up a dang good list of programs for all the channels you receive. It also shows the next 8 or 10 shows coming up. If you're not seeing the full list of channels, you can change it in the setup, but I don't remember exactly where.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TrippKnightly is offline Old Post 01-17-2004 12:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TrippKnightly Find more posts by TrippKnightly Add TrippKnightly to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TrippKnightly

You're right, that's what I was looking for, and it is quite good - arguably better than that on my digital cable even. Truly not to split hairs, but my remote's button says "Guide" not "TV Guide" - not that I'd have discovered it that way either.

The fact that there's already a decent guide that's obfuscated by the UI reinforces my point, I think - you can't get to this guide from Tivo Central, even though I'd think you should be able to everything from on-screen menus as you can directly from the remote. And of course it looks better than the box's guide running through compression circuits of the Tivo.

And I again underscore how ironic it is that the TV Guide link from Tivo Central cannot get you to the TV Guide itself! It has the TV Guide logo and even says "we see everything". (They just won't let you see it.)

But I'm sure there are reasons it evolved this way.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LinuxDude_MN is offline Old Post 01-17-2004 12:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LinuxDude_MN Find more posts by LinuxDude_MN Add LinuxDude_MN to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LinuxDude_MN

Sorry about the remote button label, I'm at work and couldn't verify what was on it.

My TV has built-in TV-Guide Plus, which I used to think was the cat's meow until I started using Tivo's, which is MUCH better! My wife didn't like it at first, mainly because it's different, but now it's all she uses.

To be honest, I'm not sure when I'd use the ability to get to the TV Guide listing from the menus. When I'm using the menus, I'm usually changing something, a recording, a setup parameter, etc., so I don't have a need to view the listing. I guess that's just how I look at it.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged