TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> "Monster Brand" Circuit Guards <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Old Post 04-15-2001 05:15 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tvboy

Talking "Monster Brand" Circuit Guards

The folks at both Good Guys and Circuit City both recommended I buy Monster Cable-brand circuit guard thing-ees (excuse my lack of technical jargon knowledge). They said that if you have a surround system (with a sub woofer) and lots of Home Theater circuitry in general, these circuit guards can actually help maintain the integruty of the audio/visual resolution. They assert that when all that electricity is surging though the system, you need some protection to ensure the best picture and sound quality. Is this fact or fiction? I'm sure they wouldn't hurt, but are they truly worth the hefty price tag? They can range anywhere from $99-$199, so I'm just curious how necessary these things are.

thanks,

rh

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TRILIGHT is offline Old Post 04-15-2001 08:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TRILIGHT Visit TRILIGHT's homepage! Find more posts by TRILIGHT Add TRILIGHT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TRILIGHT
Grammaton Cleric

Talking

In certain cases, devices like this come in handy. Especially in a sophisticated A/V closet where LOTS of sensitive equipment operates in close proximity to things such as high power amps. I would say that the vast majority of general home users would not run into a need for these devices. Especially if they are using quality shielded cables to begin with in their setup. Unless you are experiencing a problem, I would not waste my money.

------------------
-------------------------
Provis novimoseo y Tivo!!
------------------

[This message has been edited by TRILIGHT (edited 04-14-2001).]

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmprantz is offline Old Post 04-15-2001 10:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmprantz Find more posts by dmprantz Add dmprantz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmprantz

Talking

I'm not familiar with GG, but don't bother listening to muh that a CC sales person says. The only ppl dummer are BB and RS.

Many ppl on this forum swear by Monster products and say to get them. I have two Belken DSS Surge-Masters and don't have a problem with them.

I'f you're REALLY concernced about providing the best quality and protection for your equipment, first make sure it's ensured. Second make sure it's grounded. Third, get a non switching UPS with seperate circuits. This prevents switching from knocking something out, and since it has a seperate circuit for your components, it is theoretically impossible for a surge to get that far. Those babies will cost you a few hundred though.

IMHO, go the UPS or the $40-$50 route. Don't bother with the middle of the road products.

Daniel M. Pomerantz

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TRILIGHT is offline Old Post 04-15-2001 12:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TRILIGHT Visit TRILIGHT's homepage! Find more posts by TRILIGHT Add TRILIGHT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TRILIGHT
Grammaton Cleric

Talking

Since Daniel's post, I am wondering now if I did not misinterpret what you were saying before, tvboy. I read what you had posted as making reference to some sort of audio/video signal shielding and that is why I said what I did before.

If you were referring to some form of electrical surge suppression though, please read the thread from my recent post which can be found HERE.

------------------
Provis novimoseo y Tivo!!
------------------

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged