TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Another Persons TiVo on My Network <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
HDTiVo is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 06:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HDTiVo Find more posts by HDTiVo Add HDTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Another Persons TiVo on My Network

I have an odd problem that I have already spent much time trying to fix to no avail.

I am using the Trial of HMO in an apartment building and someone else's Music and Photos are appearing on my Music and Photos. My computer is listed as well as theirs...in fact, sometimes my TiVo doesn't find my computer's TiVo server, but still finds the other person's. I can see Photos and play pictures off their computer.

I do not see their TiVo in my Now Playing list. I suspect they are using a MAC since there is a wireless network called "apple network" listed when I click "Wireless Settings". My Wireless name also appears.

I have a wireless router w/ 4 ports that connects also to my DSL modem (Verizon)

When I used a wireless usb adapter on my TiVo and selected my Wireless network, their server went away. I also set up a password (WEP), etc.

When an internet connection is established, the other server appears on my Music/Photos list. I can not get it to go away anymore. This happens even though I now use a wired adapter to my TiVo.

I have tried every setting/option I can think of. I have powered down everything - TiVo, PC, Router, DSL - and restarted from scratch. Nothing helps.

As soon as my router logs into the internet, the other server starts appearing on TiVo.

I can not see another device (other than my PC and my TiVo) on my network with the "attached devices" view from the routers diagnostics.

I am anxious to eliminate the unwanted server and also concerned that my TiVo or PC are exposed to other(s).

Thanks for any help.

I don't have ANY of the problems mentioned in this Forum.

Last edited by HDTiVo on 01-20-2004 at 06:44 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Austin Bike is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 08:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Austin Bike Find more posts by Austin Bike Add Austin Bike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Austin Bike

What is your workgroup name?

I would change your workgroup name first and see if that helps.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 08:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

If you're running a wireless network, you should use the security features available to you. This would include:

• Making your wireless network "closed" -- so the SSID isn't broadcast (also change your SSID value)
  • Enable WEP/WAP
  • Set up an access list on your wireless router
You should review the documentation that accompanied your wireless access point/router to learn about these.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HDTiVo is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 10:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HDTiVo Find more posts by HDTiVo Add HDTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Under Music/Photos:

What are the two entries:

Photos on TiVo Online
Music on TiVo Online

They show up whenever I connect to the internet and have several folders of pictures and one folder of music "universal folder"

What are they for? Can I get rid of them?

Thanks

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 08:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by HDTiVo
Under Music/Photos:

What are the two entries:

Photos on TiVo Online
Music on TiVo Online

This isn't your neighbors computer. This is a server that TiVo (the company) itself provides via the internet. You will see it anytime your TiVo is connected to the Internet.

There is nothing bad about them being there. Actually if they weren't there, that would be bad as it means your wireless link went down or the TiVo lost its internet access. I frequently check to see they are there to check my TiVo's connection.

BTW in order for you to see a neighbors TiVo via a wireless link all the following would have to be true:
1. Your SSID (wireless network name) is the same as theirs
2. You have wireless encryption disabled
3. The Tivo has an IP address on their subnet (static or dynamic)

This is possible if your neighbors use the same brand of router as you and both you and them haven't changed the default settings. But you would notice immediate problems since both your router and theirs would have the same IP address and be acting as DHCP servers. Basically very strange things would happen. Basically changing #1 above eliminates the chance of this happening.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

married_man is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 08:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for married_man Find more posts by married_man Add married_man to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
married_man

edited. nm, the above post answered it

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HDTiVo is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 08:36 PM
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

This has caused some confusion. When I go into Wireless Settings I see my neighbors network "Susan's Apple Network" I can connect my TiVo to it, get about 30% signal (vs. 90% for my network) and I can connect to the TiVo service using "her" network. She apparently didn't password protect her network. I think I have secured mine with the WEP and setting up an access list that only includes the MAC of my wireless ethernet adapter.

Because I had seen the Music/Photos on TiVo Online servers, I had concluded I was actually seeing her computer's files. This is apparently not the case. Because her computer is connected to the internet, I see TiVo Online server when I connect to her network.

I haven't found anywhere that TiVo documents that you will see the TiVo Online server in addition to your server when you connect to the internet. This was the root of alot of my confusion and cost me countless hours worrying that I was looking at someone else's private files and that I was open to others.

However, having seen her wireless network and logged into it, it has led me to secure my network - hopefully properly.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

futerfas is offline Old Post 01-22-2004 04:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for futerfas Visit futerfas's homepage! Find more posts by futerfas Add futerfas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
futerfas
Advanced Member

I would try to find the person who is broadcasting these files and help them secure there wireless network so other people can't hack into their files and stuff, and it should probably stop showing up on your tivo.

"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 01-23-2004 02:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

The vast majority of people don't secure their wireless networks, probably because they either don't know they can or that they don't know they should. It's kind of like how very few people on the Net use a firewall.

I have 2 neighbors, each with a wireless network. Neither network is secure. I think one of them uses MAC filtering though.

Also just because you can see a network on the TiVo doesn't necessarily mean you can access it. In this case HDTiVo could, but if his neighbor had used encryption or MAC filtering he wouldn't have been able to.

On a side note: Even if both HDTiVo and his neighbor's TiVo were on the same network, they wouldn't be able to talk to each other because of the way TiVo implements HMO (you need to be on the same account to transfer shows from TiVo to TiVo).

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged