TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> AAC to MP3 <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
IanFrost is offline Old Post 01-25-2004 12:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for IanFrost Find more posts by IanFrost Add IanFrost to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IanFrost

AAC to MP3

I am a Windows User and need to convert my AAC collection (non-protected) from AAC to MP3.

Any ideas what software is the best to do this in a batch mode.

Thanks

Ian

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

futerfas is offline Old Post 01-25-2004 05:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for futerfas Visit futerfas's homepage! Find more posts by futerfas Add futerfas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
futerfas
Advanced Member

You could burn a cd of the songs and then rip them as a mp3

"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

IanFrost is offline Old Post 01-25-2004 06:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for IanFrost Find more posts by IanFrost Add IanFrost to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IanFrost

I understand that this is an option, but it loses all the tag information and is very annoying.

I know there is a product called "ILoveMP3" for the Mac, but have not found anything for the PC.

I don't want to do anything illegal. I only want to do this for non-protected files. I am surprised there is nothing out there.

Ian

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dwester42a is offline Old Post 01-25-2004 07:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dwester42a Visit dwester42a's homepage! Find more posts by dwester42a Add dwester42a to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dwester42a

If you're using iTunes then just change your preferences so that mp3 is your importing Encoder. Then just select all files and select "convert to mp3". I use the mac version, but I'd imagine that the windows of iTunes would have the same features. This will only work on non-protected files though.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nasar is offline Old Post 01-27-2004 08:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nasar Find more posts by nasar Add nasar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nasar

any word on when TivoDesktop will support AAC files (including those purchased at the iTunes Music Store)>

933 Mhz G4 Quicksilver w/ iTunes 4 & iPhoto 4

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Parkmad is offline Old Post 01-27-2004 11:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Parkmad Find more posts by Parkmad Add Parkmad to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Parkmad

I've used dbpoweramp for batch conversion. You will have to download a few files such as the file convertor, but it's pretty easy to use.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

IanFrost is offline Old Post 01-27-2004 11:37 PM
IanFrost

Thanks for the suggestions. I did this through iTunes. Took a while, but that's fine.

Ian

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 01-28-2004 03:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZeoTiVo Find more posts by ZeoTiVo Add ZeoTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

quote:
Originally posted by nasar
any word on when TivoDesktop will support AAC files (including those purchased at the iTunes Music Store)>

this is the wrong forum -- you need to ask in the "when is MAC going to allow hardware other than MAC hardware to access Itunes DRmed files"

TiVo nor anyone else can touch AAC rights managed files until MAC allows them to

TTiVoToGo FAQ, I have never seen a company so bashed in a forum becasue its software is a little late

• TiVo series 2/HMO 40 hours unmodded - so far
  • Toshiba SD H400 for 99$
  • JavaHMO/ paid for my HMO whiner
  • AVcast to broadcast TiVo/DVD/PC throughout house and playfort
  • 5 at a time NetFlix subscription

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 01-28-2004 03:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by ZeoTiVo
this is the wrong forum -- you need to ask in the "when is MAC going to allow hardware other than MAC hardware to access Itunes DRmed files"

TiVo nor anyone else can touch AAC rights managed files until MAC allows them to

The last I looked...
  • Not all AAC files contain DRM (Apple's uses a DRM system named "freeplay" -- not created by Apple)
  • MAC is not the name of a company, organization, or group of people. I believe you're referring to Apple
  • AAC is a standard developed by a consortium which didn't include Apple. It did include organizations such as Dolby and Sony
  • Even DRM'ed AAC files can be played with no problem on non-Apple equipment as any user of iTunes for Windows can tell you

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mattman is offline Old Post 01-28-2004 12:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mattman Find more posts by mattman Add mattman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mattman
Deep In The Mattcave

quote:
Originally posted by ZeoTiVo
"when is MAC going to allow hardware other than MAC hardware to access Itunes DRmed files"

Even better yet...

MAC stands for "MAC (Media Access Control)" which is involved in identifying your networking equipment so as to allow you access to the networks. "Mac" in this instance would have been the term you were looking for (albeit incorrectly, as Bob points out)

It is nice to point the finger at Apple about this, but they are not solely responsible, and have not forced anyone to use AAC, with the exception of downloading songs from the iTunes Music Store, and, even then, it *is* possible to convert those songs to MP3, although not especially easily, nor without some drawbacks.

I, personally think our best hope in this regard lies in the folks who are working on JavaHMO.

Matt

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

newyorkpug is offline Old Post 01-29-2004 12:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for newyorkpug Visit newyorkpug's homepage! Find more posts by newyorkpug Add newyorkpug to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newyorkpug

quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
The last I looked...
  • Not all AAC files contain DRM (Apple's uses a DRM system named "freeplay" -- not created by Apple)
  • MAC is not the name of a company, organization, or group of people. I believe you're referring to Apple
  • AAC is a standard developed by a consortium which didn't include Apple. It did include organizations such as Dolby and Sony
  • Even DRM'ed AAC files can be played with no problem on non-Apple equipment as any user of iTunes for Windows can tell you

LOL! I love this guy! It's so true too!

-Josh

Home Media Option
Cable Modem
Wireless 802.11g Network
Apple AirPort Extreme Router
Sanction Studios - Declare Your Sound!

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged